Bird
Savvy June 2020

I’m having second thoughts about photographer

Bird, on October 13, 2019 at 11:23 AM Posted in Planning 0 4
Saved Save
I interviewed 2 photographers in person before finally settling on the 3 photographer who I only spoke to through email. Red flag on my part.

I hired him because he photographed my cousins wedding a few years ago and I loved her pictures and after asking her opinion on him she said she would recommend him so I hired him!

now I’m having second thoughts. In my opinion He’s rude and pretentious. For our engagement session I emailed him some ideas. This national historic park that has sentimental value to my FH and I... or the location that my photographer likes to use (he told me he likes this location, it’s like his “playground.”

he emailed me back saying stuff like usually when the bride suggests a location the pictures come out horrible, the bride thinks the location is way better than his location, the bride only chooses locations because their more convenient for them, etc.

so I waited a few days to think it over and ultimately decided to go with his location because he knows it better and we wouldn’t have to go wandering around for good shots, he already knows where they are.

He hasn't emailed me back yet and it’s been 4 days. Sounds like a short amount of time but he always emails back right away.

I don’t want to have animosity towards him on my wedding day. I want to like him. But right now I don’t. This isn’t the first time he’s said things that bothered me. We already gave our deposit. Just looking for some thoughts or suggestions from you guys.

4 Comments

• Eri
    Expert October 2020
    Eri ·
    • Flag

Ugh, he sounds like someone I wouldn't want to work with either. Admittedly, I am super particular and seem to have been going with my gut quite a bit when making vendor decisions. So far, it hasn't led me astray.

I will say that I don't think it was necessarily a red flag or anything on your part to only communicate via email before hiring. I've done that with several vendors myself, and I still feel like I've gotten a good sense of the person's 'vibe' that way. How you communicate via email says a lot about you, and for me anyway, that's going to be my primary method of contact throughout the planning process.

With photographers, I think there's a line between offering professional guidance and being overbearing. Photographers should be flexible and excited about trying new locations -- not shooting themselves in the foot by basically saying they can only do good work at X location. If they have valid concerns about a particular spot and are able to articulate them, that's fine, but it doesn't sound like that's what he's doing. What does he do when he shoots a wedding at a new place? Tell people they'll come out horrible because he's not familiar with the venue?

We have our engagement pictures coming up on Friday, November 1st. My photographer gave us a guide on what to wear and such as prep and was very open to our location ideas (we'll be doing them in a local national park). Her philosophy is to tell a story about the couple -- not the other way around.

I'm not sure what exactly I'd do in your situation. Smiley sad When are you supposed to be having your engagement shoot?

• Suzie
    Devoted October 2020
    Suzie ·
    • Flag

Have you met him in person at all? Email tones can easily be misconstrued. If you’re already getting bad vibes, though, I would meet with them ASAP and look over your contract and how cancellations work. You’ll def lose your deposit. You want a photographer that you enjoy being around, this is advice I have been given by numerous people. They will be with you throughout your entire day, and it’s important you feel comfortable with them. I emailed a photographer and had a phone conversation with him, both of which seemed wonderful, but when FH and I met him in person, I did not vibe with him at all. As soon as we got in the car, I said, “his photos are amazing but I don’t wan’t him around me on my wedding day.” My photographer has never shot at our venue, but will scope it out beforehand to familiarize himself with it. I feel like your person should have at least offered to do this since you wanted your engagement shoot at a particular location. You are paying him for services, he should take into consideration what you want, and not patronize you since “brides know nothing about photography” (my take on his response). There’s also a polite way of saying things like that if he really didn’t think the images would come out good. Sounds like he just doesn’t want to learn a new location. Like I said, meet with him, and if you really don’t vibe, see what it’ll cost you to back out. Good luck!

• Bird
    Savvy June 2020
    Bird ·
    • Flag
    Thank you so much for your thoughtful and eloquent responses. I really appreciate it. You both talked me off a ledge!

here is an update on what happened... I waited and waited for him to respond. Finally after 7 days I replied with a brief sentence: “wanted to confirm for October 27, are we still good?”

he replied right away that I was in the books...

so now we are going to have our engagement photo shoot with him next weekend. It will be there that we decide if we can work with his personality and if we want him at our actual wedding. We would cut our losses (our deposit would basically pay for our engagement session) and then try to find another photographer. OR we get along really well and we decide to have him as our wedding photographer.
  • Suzie
    Devoted October 2020
    Suzie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    The engagement session is a perfect opportunity to get a feel for him! Sounds like to have a great plan in motion 👍🏼 Good luck and have fun at your photo shoot!

Comment on this discussion