K
Just Said Yes April 2020

If you're married, what was the most expensive part of your wedding?

Kimmy, on June 1, 2018 at 9:41 AM Posted in Planning 0 18
Saved

If you're married, what was the most expensive part of your wedding?

18 Comments

Latest activity by Becky-Jo, on June 1, 2018 at 5:49 PM
  • Munchkin9218
    Master September 2018
    Munchkin9218 ·
    • Flag

I'm three months out but the biggest deciding factor in the expense budget will be your guest list. The more people = more $$$$. Almost every single venue/caterer will require a per plate price, so for every person you invite that will add up your bill. You can look around for slightly cheaper caterers or venues that have a reasonable per plate price depending on what you wanna do - but if your guest list is big so will your final budget be.

The best advice is to allocate about 50/60% of your budget to venue/food/alcohol. Finding a venue that does a semi or all inclusive package (where you pay on per person rate rather then a venue rental fee, and also a per plate price for the caterer) can save you some money. However decide what your budget is, cut it in half, then divide that by the amount of people you want to invite. That final number will be what you should look to pay per person (including fees/gratuity). If it seems too low you need to either cut your guest list or up your budget.

• Pegs
    VIP July 2018
    Pegs ·
    • Flag

By far, catering was the largest chunk of cash we are currently paying off.

Catering will usually be the biggest expense. Obviously, your guest list affects this greatly.

• Kiersten
    Expert February 2018
    Kiersten ·
    • Flag
    In ranking order:
    Venue : $5,900
    Dress: ~$3,000 (after alterations, veil, etc)
    Catering for 65 ppl. : $2,900 (Small, backwoods caterer &owner of our venue, unbelievable prices and heaping plates of delicious food)
    Everything else added made a grand total of about 20k-ish.

We opted to have our wedding in Ohio instead of the DMV where we live. Easily cut our costs in half, if not more.
  • Mrs. H
    Master September 2019
    Mrs. H ·
    • Flag

Our semi-all-inclusive venue will cost us around $20k.

ETA: includes set up, clean up, 2 DJs, bartenders, mixers, catering (including dessert), decorations, DOC

• SB
    VIP March 2019
    SB ·
    • Flag

So far, our biggest expense has been our venue. It came in at $8,000. I was expecting our catering to be outrageous for 300 people, but we got an amazing deal at $10 per plate, so that was a huge relief. I believe that's our second biggest expense and then photographer will come in third. Everything has been a lot more doable than expected, so this planning has been a breeze.

• B11
    Super May 2019
    B11 ·
    • Flag
    Not married yet, but food/alcohol will be our biggest expense. $26k for about 150 guests.
  • M
    Super October 2018
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    We only have 10 guests and food and drinks are definitely going to be our biggest expense. We are looking at $33 per person for food and then $35 per person for open bar.
  • Mcskipper
    Master July 2018
    Mcskipper Online ·
    • Flag
    Catering, though ours includes all rentals AND all the event staff (including bartenders and liquor liability)
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

Not married yet! But budget is done, catering is taking up the largest portion.

• S
    Devoted April 2018
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

The most expensive was the venue/catering. My venue was semi-inclusive. The per person rate included food, alcohol, cake, ceremony space, venue.

• OrangeCrush
    Super October 2017
    OrangeCrush ·
    • Flag

Food and drink was the largest, ceremony site and photography tied for second. Our reception site was free - it was the gorgeous event room at our favorite restaurant. Free with a $750 minimum which we easily met, lol.

• bobbileighba
    Expert June 2018
    bobbileighba ·
    • Flag

Venue (including food, alcohol, and linens for 21 guests) and photog are tied right at just a little over 4k each.

• Kristin
    Super May 2018
    Kristin ·
    • Flag
    Definitely the bill for the venue/food and drink!

The total bill to the venue was about $26k and that included the venue space rentals for ceremony and reception, all food and drinks, as well as the room decor for both spaces, and DOC. We hosted about 125 people.
  • L
    Dedicated June 2018
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    Catering was the most expensive for us. Along with the photographer.
  • Taryn
    Devoted July 2018
    Taryn ·
    • Flag

Venue (same for reception and ceremony) 4500

Flowers 3000

Photographer 2500

Dress 2000

Catering 1800

Those are all of our major expenses! I kept decor cheap, we're doing slacks and ties for the guys instead of tuxes, and we're having a friend do videography. The venue was definitely the expense I thought I could get lower but they were way more expensive than I thought!

• Cassie
    Super April 2018
    Cassie ·
    • Flag

Our was the catering - our venue was actually free cause it was in house catering so that's how they made their money. 99 guests, our catering with tax/service fee came to about $4500 - that includes the meal and alcohol.

• earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·
    • Flag

Food and alcohol were the biggest expenses (predictably). We spent about $15,000 on food and alcohol for 42 people.

• Becky-Jo
    Devoted May 2017
    Becky-Jo ·
    • Flag
    Our venue was our biggest expense. But food, alcohol, chair covers, center pieces and cake were all included. We only had 50 people though so it was doable.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics