Lenae
Just Said Yes December 2020

i hope I’m not the only one?

Lenae, on July 25, 2019 at 10:39 AM Posted in Planning 0 12
Saved Save
Lately I’ve been feeling kind of stuck. We got engaged a little less than a week ago and after the excited died down by day two no one talks about it anymore. Our wedding is over a year and a half away so I just am feeling like I have no one to talk to about it and I can’t start planning now. My FH and I talk about obviously, but he works a lot so I don’t see him very much.. any solution ideas?

12 Comments

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    That's what you have ww for Smiley smile we are all excited about wedding related stuff and are happy to answer your questions or help you come up with ideas and stuff
  • Wendy
    Rockstar August 2020
    Wendy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes!! I agreeSmiley smile!! No one is as excited as you and other future bridesSmiley smile
  • B
    Expert July 2017
    Becky ·
    • Flag

Research. Look at dresses online, think about your vision, and look into local places that match that vision (and your budget!) - and WW is awesome

• Cristy
    Master May 2021
    Cristy ·
    • Flag

Welcome to Wedding Wire!!

You should try to understand early on that nobody will be as excited for your wedding as you are (except maybe us!), and that's ok. Everyone has lives, families, jobs, etc. and it's not easy to get worked up about an event that's over a year away.

But there are lots of things you can do this early. I don't think it's ever too early to plan. I like lists, so one of the first things I did was to start making lists. Lists of possible locations, possible guests, colors, themes, music. Start getting an idea of what kind of wedding you want, coupled with what kind of wedding you can afford. I've gotten a lot of inspiration on Pinterest, so you can start there. The checklist here on WW is good and thorough, so you can get an idea of the planning timeline. Not all categories will apply to you, but it's a good place to start, and a good guide along the way.

Come back anytime with your questions, concerns, and anytime you just want to vent!!

• Alhina
    Devoted August 2019
    Alhina ·
    • Flag
    Use this time to come up with ideas of how you want your wedding to be. You can search h on pinterest and pin stuff you like. Talk to you FH about the colors you like. Think about who you want to be in your wedding party. You can also discuss your budget. Start saving money for the wedding. Now is the time to research everything you like. No one will be as excited about your wedding than you and your FH. You can also research your venues and decide whether you want a small or big wedding. The beginning can be a busy time for you just by researching and jotting down ideas. Good luck to you and your FH. The time goes pretty fast. It will be your time before you know it.
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn Online ·
    • Flag
    You’ve been engaged for less than a week. You’re going to learn quickly that no one will be as excited for your wedding as you are. I agree with PP that WeddingWire is a great resource if you need advice, but I would prepare yourself for your friends and family to not get all that excited until much closer to the actual event.
  • Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

First thing is first, congrats on your engagement!!! I know you are excited, but there is no need to start planning. You've only been engaged for a week, so you should talk a month to really just enjoy being engaged. Then, the best tool for you to use when you are ready to start is WW. I used WW's vendor search to find most of my vendors, and WW's forums to get all of my wedding talk out & questions answered.

• Tayla
    Dedicated March 2020
    Tayla ·
    • Flag
    Start with maybe friends.. my best friends were super open to talk about it.. my FH and I picked a date within the first 2 days and when I say we picked a date I picked the exact date he just picked the time of year and month lol.. and me and my friends took over they will come around you just haven’t been engaged quite long enough to dig in start with your date and then everyone else will start with the exciting moments of planning different things
  • Futuremrsm
    Expert October 2020
    Futuremrsm ·
    • Flag
    Same thing happened to me. No one really did any kind of celebrating for us except for like 2 people. We got engaged in early December so my aunt got us an engaged Christmas ornament and my FH aunt got me a cute bride wine glass. But other than that no one really took us out to celebrate or anything. I'm hoping people get more excited towards the wedding. It has me bummed out as well
  • Bridgette
    Dedicated October 2020
    Bridgette ·
    • Flag
    This happened to me too. We got engaged June 2018 and our wedding isn't until October 2020. No one seemed to care after a week and it upset me. I really went in on my wedding pinterest board to cope. I think that not overloading your friends and family with wedding stuff is the trickiest part. Sometimes giving them wedding info in small doses may spark the reaction that you would expect. People have lives and you do too. Pinterest and wedding wire have been everything to me when I get inspired and excited. Remember to keep a wedding/life balance in the process! 😊
  • A
    Devoted September 2020
    Anna ·
    • Flag
    Take advantage of this time and use it to save money for the wedding and start doing your research. It will save you so much stress later on. Start making lists on your spare time.... top 3-4 venues you like, dj vs band in your budget, check out portfolios of photographers to decide whose style you like, etc
  • Cristina
    Dedicated August 2021
    Cristina ·
    • Flag
    Congrats! I would definitely use this time to think about what you want your wedding to look like. My wedding is 2 yrs away and we are not "officially" engaged yet( no official proposal, no ring) so other than my mom who lives with us, we only have each other to talk wedding to. We have already started planning. There's a lot you can figure out before hand. Colors, theme, potential guest list, etc. The more you know now the easier it will be when you actually start planning.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics