We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Ann C
Savvy April 2021

i don’t feel like a bride to be...

Ann C, on January 23, 2020 at 7:44 AM Posted in Planning 0 12
Saved Save
Is anyone else feeling a bit... let down? My fh and I have all our vendors booked for our April 2021 wedding but I don’t feel... special. My bridesmaids are polite but not really chatty and my family is very down to earth

12 Comments

• Amber
    Rockstar February 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag

I'm sorry you're feeling this way. One thing to remember is that no one besides your FH will ever be as excited for your wedding as you are. Everyone still has their own lives going on and with your wedding over a year away, there's really not much excitement going on for others to participate in. Right now you're just playing the waiting game until you get closer to the big day. It'll go by fast, don't worry!

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

Your wedding is still well over a year out. Most people don't get excited for events this far in advance. Is there something that you could do for yourself that would make you feel better? Order a Future Mrs. t-shirt, pamper yourself a little, start looking at wedding dresses? What expectations do you have in place that aren't being met?

• Annajoy
    Expert August 2020
    Annajoy ·
    • Flag

I kinda went through a low right after getting engaged when life went right back to 'normal'.

I think perhaps part of the reason you are feeling this way is that your wedding is still so far away. It's hard to keep that exciting high for such an extended period of time when everyday life and responsibilities are still hounding you.

I really only feel like a bride-to-be when I'm doing something that's completely wedding related. Outside of that circle I'm just who I was before I got engaged. I know that certain events will 'reignite' that bridal excitement, like the engagement party, going wedding dress shopping, the bridal shower, and the batchelorette party, and a bridal party brunch.

Perhaps you should plan some events between now and your wedding (bi-monthly bridal party brunch or happy hour) to allow you to jump back into that bridal identity for a time.

Once your wedding is a few months away the reality of it will kick back in and I'm sure everyone will be very excited!

• Audrey
    Devoted October 2020
    Audrey ·
    • Flag
    I feel the same. Your wedding is over a year away, so maybe they’ll get more into it as it gets closer?
  • Flame Princess
    Dedicated April 2021
    Flame Princess ·
    • Flag
    I creeped on your profile and saw youre getting married two weeks before me and on my FH's birthday! 😁 Dont sweat it. Think of your wedding as the super bowl and right now youre the producer getting word out about whos performing the half time show. People are gonna come, and theyre gonna have a good time. Its okay. Just relax and take it all in baby steps.
  • Lena
    Devoted May 2021
    Lena ·
    • Flag

No one is gonna be as excited as you and your FH for your wedding. Plus just like mine its over a year away BUT I'm sure once its closer everyone will get on board. Enjoy the process. I have all my vendors booked too and now just enjoying being engaged Smiley smile

• Kathryn
    Rockstar August 2020
    Kathryn ·
    • Flag
    We had a shorter engagement, but there was still a lull where life went back to "normal". I was a little sad because movies would lead you to believe that your engagement is 100% party 24/7. But really, only you are thinking about it actively the whole time because you're planning. Just breathe and know that things get very real the more you put details into place.
  • Taylor
    Dedicated November 2020
    Taylor ·
    • Flag
    My wedding is this April and still don’t feel like a bride to be. Everyone keeps saying how you feeling? Getting nervous? I’m like yes about finances but overall no. I still feel like I’m planning an expensive behind party. I feel you.
  • Dayna
    Devoted March 2021
    Dayna ·
    • Flag

I felt like that for a while too. I had a friend get engaged around the same time as me and her family threw her a huge engagement party and she got tons of cute bride gifts and while my family and friends were excited for us, no-one offered to throw us a party or did much else other than say congrats. Of course we didn't expect them to do any of that, but some mutual friends kept asking when we would have our engagement party and that kind of hurt. Now that I am further into the planning process though, my best friend and sister (both MOHs) and my mom have gotten more excited to talk about things and look at dresses, flowers, etc so I feel like they are starting to get more involved. If you can involve your bridesmaids or family in anything like dress shopping, planning the rehearsal/shower/etc or picking out flowers and desserts you might see them start to get more excited.

• Cristy
    Master May 2021
    Cristy ·
    • Flag

I think we all face this at times during planning. When I first got engaged two years ago, nobody wanted to talk about it much, and I had to learn that hard truth that nobody will ever be as excited about your wedding as you. Then I had to think about the times that I was a bridesmaid for my sister, then for my brother's wife, and it hit me. That's right. I wasn't as excited for them as I am for myself now. lol

But now that we're only 4 months out, and tasks are getting done, the people in my life are showing more excitement! They are all stepping up to support and help me. It's why I chose these people. Don't worry. It's just too early for everyone. When it gets closer, you'll see their excitement.

• Suzie
    Super October 2021
    Suzie ·
    • Flag

I didn’t quite feel like a bride until I went dress shopping. That’s when it really hit me, and I saw myself as a bride. Let it sink in a bit. You’ve also got a while to go, so as things get closer, it’ll feel more real.

• Christel
    Savvy October 2020
    Christel ·
    • Flag
    I've had issues with this. I felt like I was kind of bothering people if I brought up the wedding so I just didn't for a long time. I worked quietly planning things and making decisions. I would look at pinterest boards and that kept me excited. Honestly now that we are nine months out I have gotten more excited.

Comment on this discussion

Related articles