S
Beginner March 2019

How to end Wedding Reception?

Stephanie, on December 29, 2017 at 6:38 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 17
Saved Save

We will be reserving our venue from 2-9 pm, and I don't want to do a send off because we have to clean up/tear down by around 9 pm. So we have to let our guests know that the they need to start leaving the venue by 9 pm. We are planning on putting the order of events in the wedding day program but what's a good way to end the night? Should we do a toast/last speech/last dance/last call announcement? Any thoughts or ideas?

Thank you!

-Stephanie Smiley heart

17 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on December 30, 2017 at 11:16 AM
  • WED18
    July 1993
    WED18 ·
    • Flag
    You can choose to announce a last dance but usually when the bar stops serving, the music stops, and the lights are turned on, people will know to leave.

• S
    Beginner March 2019
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag

I really like the last dance, last call and final thank you speech--so i think we will do some form of that in not that order lol.

Thanks!

• The Bride
    VIP May 2017
    The Bride ·
    • Flag

Hire a bunch of kids to do this thing. They'll get the hint.

.....How to end Wedding Reception? 1

• C
    Dedicated March 2023
    Catherine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Hahahaha I love that
  • ThePeoplesBride
    VIP October 2020
    ThePeoplesBride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I nearly spit out my drink at this!

People will definitely know to wrap it up when the bar closes and the DJ announces the last song. Also, if more than a few people leave (late hour, kids, etc) others will soon follow suit.
  • L
    Expert April 2018
    lindabelcher ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Last call, last dance, and thank you. I think that's a good order!
  • Joanna
    Expert October 2017
    Joanna ·
    • Flag
    If you have to have the venue cleaned up by 9, you need to have people out of there between 7:30-8.
  • S
    Beginner March 2019
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Right, the venue said that time frame is including set up/tear down-clean up...so I should check with them to see if that's what time we should start cleaning.

• Joanna
    Expert October 2017
    Joanna ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I am a caterer, if the venue said that you have it from 2-9 and that includes set up and tear down and you have professionals doing the setup and tear down, then set up would likely be from 2-4 and tear down from 8-9 meaning event time from 4-8.
  • Sarah
    VIP July 2018
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

Most weddings I've been to have had the DJ announce last call about a half hour before the last dance and then a last dance when it is time.

• S
    Beginner March 2019
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    4 hours is not enough time so we would have to reserve it from 2-11 pm most likely. I heard that they will let you set up earlier if the business is not too busy--our weddings going to be at a local restaurant/cafe with business hours from 8-2pm.

• S
    Beginner March 2019
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

We are not hiring a DJ but will have a friend do all of our announcements for us. But I like that idea so hopefully everything runs smoothly but if not oh well lol. Smiley smile

• Joanna
    Expert October 2017
    Joanna ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Are you having the ceremony there also or at another location? If elsewhere, 4 could maybe work. If the ceremony will be there too, extending it by a couple hours would definitely be beneficial.

Are you doing the setup and tear down yourself or is the staff at the restaurant responsible for that? Also, while it would be amazing if there is time to do the setup beforehand, don't count on that extra time.
  • O
    Master October 2017
    O ·
    • Flag
    If tear down and clean up needs to be done by 9pm, then at 7:30 have a last call for drinks, and at 7:45 have a last dance. 7:45 to 8 gives time for hugs/goodbyes, then 8 to 9 for clean up.
  • FutureMrsGSon
    Dedicated September 2018
    FutureMrsGSon ·
    • Flag
    I’ve seen a couple do a “fake send off,” jump in their car and wait until everyone was gone to come back and do what they needed to do. So many guests left (other than family and BP). We were able to pack everything up and no one ever knew they came back.
  • M
    Savvy March 2018
    Michaela ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Hahaha!Smiley xd great idea
  • S
    Beginner March 2019
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    Yes we want the ceremony and reception to be there. But both us of want a super quick 30 min ceremony. This is my plan:
    2-3 have family set up
    3-3:30 ceremony
    3:30-4:30 Cocktails and Photos
    5 Dinner, speeches
    5:45-8 first dance and mingling
    7:30 last call, last dance, thanks you speech
    8-goodbyes
    Clean up by 9pm.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups