L
Beginner July 2021

How to cancel makeup/hair artist

Lindsay, on July 29, 2021 at 2:10 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 8
Saved

I decided to cancel with my current makeup/hair artists after a trial that wasn't what I wanted (instead of feeling beautiful I was disappointed and couldn't wait to take the hair down and makeup off). They said they will fix my concerns day of the wedding, but I feel that the trial should have been a good example of what I'd get on the wedding day since it costs the same). I found other artists already, but want to cancel before paying the new ones. I have a few questions.

1) How do I word that I'm cancelling nicely? We're two months (actually a little over 60 days) away from our wedding and I'm not sure the artists will be able to rebook themselves so I truly feel bad.

2) I think I can get out without penalty since they didn't have a deposit. Am I reading the contract correctly? It says this: "We require at least 30 days notification to cancel any and all bridal appointments. If you cancel less than 30 days prior, you will be charged 20% of your total services."

8 Comments

Latest activity by Samantha, on July 30, 2021 at 10:52 AM
  • Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag
    From the part of the contract that you stated, it does seem that you would be able to cancel without penalty. I would just send them an email to let them know that you were unhappy with the trial and decided to book elsewhere and would like to cancel your services. Whatever you do, make sure to do it in writing (email/text/certified mail) so that you have proof that it was done before the 30 days,
  • H
    Beginner January 2022
    H ·
    • Flag
    And other than cancelling, if you’re open to it, you may be able to ask for a second complimentary trial?
  • Janet
    Dedicated October 2018
    Janet ·
    • Flag

Have you shared your thoughts with the artists? Typically, if you really didn’t like it, see if you can give them a chance to fix it by asking for a complimentary trial or a reduced trial.

If you’re set on going with a different vendor, “I’m sorry, but I’ve decided to go a different direction with my hair and makeup. Thank you for your time.” Is the sort and sweet cancellation notice.
    Vendors get cancellations/those who don’t want to work with them for may reasons. Once it’s confirmed by them, ask for the deposit back.
  • Z
    Beginner February 2021
    Zahraa ·
    • Flag

I think you should talk to them and see if they can do a second trial? I honestly would cancel if you are not happy and willing to pay the cancellation fees. I hated my makeup on the trail and did address my concerns with the makeup lady who promised me to fix it on the wedding day. Sadly, I felt like a clown on my wedding day Smiley sad

• L
    Beginner July 2021
    Lindsay ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I did and they just said that a blow out before the wedding day hair would fix my issue.Smiley sad
    My concerns were hair -- it was super frizzy and the style was falling apart (I had to fix the hold myself after the trial by adding additional bobby pins). They ignored the "falling apart" part of my concerns when they responded.

I can do a second trial but it's $150 per trial - no discount offered. I'm thinking I'd rather pay for a trial with someone else since I'm just not sure the artist can fix it and $150 is a lot of money Smiley sad

• L
    Beginner July 2021
    Lindsay ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Luckily no cancellation fees since they didn't make me pay a retainer fee. Another trial would be another $150 so I'm thinking I should try someone else. They seem to just say "we can fix it all on the wedding day" but I worry about having an experience like the one you described Smiley sad

• T
    Expert May 2010
    Theresa ·
    • Flag

I would thank them for their efforts, but say you don't feel their style is what you're looking for (it isn't "you"), and that you've decided to go with someone else.

• Samantha
    Devoted May 2022
    Samantha ·
    • Flag

Sounds like they aren't really that great to work with since they aren't addressing your concerns or offering to give another trial for free, so I wouldn't risk it

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics