Taylor
Super October 2020

How the heck do alterations work?

Taylor, on October 17, 2019 at 11:09 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 22
Saved Save

Back.How the heck do alterations work? 1FrontHow the heck do alterations work? 2

Okay y'all... I have a probably dumb question. How the heck are they going to alter this??? When I was trying on gowns, I fit into all the 6's. When they measured me, I was on track for a size 8 in the hips and bust area but an inch over on the waist so they recommended a 10. When I asked how I fit into all the 6's, they said the sample gowns were probably stretched out. I plan to drop a tone up before the wedding but based on my build, I'm naturally thicker through the rib area SO I went with their recommendation. My question is, how would one even take this in? It's crepe material. I know there is a way. Just curious on what that way is. Also: how will they take the dress up at the bottom with the lace train?

22 Comments

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn Online
    • Flag

I don't know about taking it in because I'm far from a seamstress. I wasn't really worried about that party as long as they made it happen lol. As far as the train, they typically will detach the skirt and take the excess material from the top, then reattach. Because of the style of your dress, they will probably remove the lace appliques from the train, hem, then reapply.

• Taylor
    Super October 2020
    Taylor Online
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    The entire idea of someone taking my dress apart is nauseating to me! lol I do understand that this must happen though馃槀
  • Lauren
    Super September 2019
    Lauren Online
    • Flag

They will alter from the top so they don't touch the lace edge. They will likely take it in a the seams or in the back and just re-do the buttons.

• K
    Expert November 2019
    Kiley
    • Flag

I agree that the 6s were likely stretched out, but if you were on track for an 8, then they should have ordered you an 8. I hate when places "recommend" to order a size up. I can't help but to think this is to get more money for alterations. Anywhere there is a seam on your dress, they will strip it and pull material in from there. Usually on trains, they will remove the lace, alter and then put the lace back on. The length looks perfect, so I don't see a need for a hem alteration.

• Sakinna
    Dedicated June 2020
    Sakinna
    • Flag
    I don鈥檛 know the answer but you look amazing!! That dress is gorgeous on you!
  • Taylor
    Super October 2020
    Taylor Online
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That鈥檚 kind of what I was thinking but they didn鈥檛 offer alterations so I鈥檓 not 100% sure! I was standing on a platform in this photo so depending on my shoes I might need it taken up a littleSmiley sad
  • Taylor
    Super October 2020
    Taylor Online
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you so much鉂わ笍
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD
    • Flag

Typically they detach the lace, take off the length, then reattach it. I would assume if they have that dress in store, they will be able to alter the material.

• Taylor
    Super October 2020
    Taylor Online
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

They don't do alterations in house. They have a recommendation but for dress shopping I traveled to a centrally located city for my mother and FMIL. It's a 3 hour drive from my house so I'll be taking my gown home and getting it done somewhere in Houston. I'm sure I can find someone to do it. The entire process just stresses me out.

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I'm sure you can, I wouldn't stress! You have time & you can visit multiple seamstresses before deciding.

• Yoice
    VIP March 2019
    Yoice
    • Flag
    My dress was also crepe and dress came out just fine. The laces are actually application they manually remove each one of them to alter the dress itself first. Then the attach all the applications (lace) back on so you won鈥檛 loose the train or any of the details in the side of the dress. This is all manually done and is very delicate which is why alterations are so expensive.
  • Erin
    Dedicated September 2021
    Erin
    • Flag
    I cant help but I鈥檓 just here to say that train is absolutely gorgeous 馃槏
  • Taylor
    Super October 2020
    Taylor Online
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

How much did your alterations cost if you don't mind me asking?

• Taylor
    Super October 2020
    Taylor Online
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! I'm so excited for it to come in!!!
  • Erin
    Dedicated May 2020
    Erin Online
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

As a seamstress myself, I can tell you that the recommendation to order a size up is based on the fact it is easier to take in a seam than let it out. Due to your waist being slightly larger than your bust and hips and the crepe fabric the shop is avoiding your dress looking stretched over your waist in a size 8. Depending on your your shoes and how the train lays they may not need to remove much, if any, of the lace.

• Shayna
    Savvy August 2020
    Shayna
    • Flag

I unfortunately don't have an answer to your questions but just need to say I LOVE your dress!! You look amazing in it! Congrats!

• Taylor
    Super October 2020
    Taylor Online
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That makes sense! The girl that got it ordered kept going back and forth between a 10 and 8 so it made me skeptical.

• Taylor
    Super October 2020
    Taylor Online
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you so much!!!!

• Yoice
    VIP March 2019
    Yoice
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    It was around $500. I had hamming done, we added some wires to the dress, reduce cups, take in around the shoulder and bust area, a two different bustles.
  • Jennifer
    Dedicated September 2020
    Jennifer
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Wherever you decide to go for alterations, make sure the seamstress has a lot of experience working with the specific designer of your dress! BTW your dress is breathtaking!

Comment on this discussion