Julia
Savvy March 2021

How soon to send invites without save the dates?

Julia, on November 20, 2019 at 6:46 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 12
Saved Save
For those of you who didn't send save the dates, how soon did you send invitations? I know the etiquette is to send invites 6-8 weeks out but a lot of our guests are out of town, so that doesn't seem like enough notice if we don't send save the dates. I hate the thought of sending all that mail and wasting all that paper and postage, but don't know a way around the save the dates! Has anyone done digital ones? Any help is great Smiley smile

12 Comments

• Cher Horowitz
    Rockstar December 2019
    Cher Horowitz ·
    • Flag

We didn't send Save the Dates, but we sent our invites 3 months before the wedding. It worked fine for us because majority of our guests live in town. If you have a large number of out-of-towners, I think you'd be fine sending invites 4 months before!

• M
    Savvy October 2020
    Megan ·
    • Flag
    I was invited to a wedding and she didn’t send any save the dates either. We got about three and half month notice. And it was plenty of time. Most of the out of town guests will already know you wedding is coming up because they are all your friends and family, so I think no save the dates should be no problem
  • K
    Beginner May 2020
    K ·
    • Flag
    I’m not doing save the dates as our engagement is only about 7 months. I’ve already told out of town guests the date and place and most local people have already heard through word of mouth (my mom lol). I’ll be sending invites about 10 weeks before the wedding. I have heard a lot of people using paperless post or something similar for emailing save the dates. I just really don’t want to deal with the added stress/work/cost.
  • Julia
    Savvy March 2021
    Julia ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    This is true! Which is another reason I feel they would be redundant, since we already verbally told everyone to save the date.
  • Christine
    Expert September 2020
    Christine ·
    • Flag

I think three months for invitations would be fine. Also, save the dates can be really helpful if you have a lot of guests coming from out of town! At the very least you can do digital save the dates (maybe something from Paperless Post for example).

• J
    Master 0000
    Judith ·
    • Flag
    Still time the invitations to arrive in people's homes no earlier than 8 weeks out. For advance notice, do what we all did before the recent invention of Saves. Send a personally addressed e mail ( not a blast, spam filters) or make a phone call, to give advance notice to those who need it. Say that you wanted them to know early, so they can make plans. And that actual formal invitations will be sent in the month of _____. Lots of us still have no need of commercially produced Saves. All that matters is that you tell, phone, or email if you do not mail something written . Perfectly fine etiquette.
  • Benya
    Dedicated June 2020
    Benya Online ·
    • Flag
    I did digital Save-the-Date. Haven't heard any complaint. Planning to send out the invites at 2-3 months mark.
    I'm using WithJoy for my wedding website, and they made it easy to send out the e-cards that matches the website theme
  • Julia
    Savvy March 2021
    Julia ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks! I'll check out Paperless Post.
  • Julia
    Savvy March 2021
    Julia ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Okay thanks! Wasn't sure that was appropriate, but it's just family and close friends so I think they'd all understand that we don't want to waste money of save the dates! FH doesn't understand why we need to send "two invitations" as he calls them LOL
  • Julia
    Savvy March 2021
    Julia ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I made my website through Wedding Wire so I don't think that's an option, but glad to hear others have send digital save the dates! Thanks!
  • Marie
    Savvy April 2020
    Marie ·
    • Flag
    I totally did a FB event as our Save the Dates. It might have been tacky but I really wanted our funds to go towards more important things. We did send paper STD for Those people who didn’t have FB.
    75% of our guests are OOT; I think I’m going to send invites 3 months in advance of the wedding.
  • Julia
    Savvy March 2021
    Julia ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I'm thinking we might just make digital ones to email/text/Facebook message (FH is a graphic designer so it's NBD for him). I agree, save the money and spend it elsewhere-like our honeymoon, hopefully!

Comment on this discussion