Skip to main content
Breelyne
Savvy October 2023

How soon to dress shop?

Breelyne, on July 6, 2022 at 1:18 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 15
Saved
My wedding date is set, venue booked for October 21, 2023. I was thinking about starting the dress shopping process in October or November of this year? Is that too soon?

15 Comments

Latest activity by Julija, on August 8, 2022 at 12:16 AM
  • Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    I think that is perfect timing to dress shop! If you wanted to, you could start looking now at different styles online to get an idea of what you initially like. That way, when you start dress shopping, you'll have a good starting point of what styles to try on first.
  • Breelyne
    Savvy October 2023
    Breelyne ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I’ve actually started looking at ideas and it’s gotten me excited to go shopping 😅😅
  • C
    Master January 2019
    Cassidy ·
    • Flag
    I think that’s perfect! Gives you time to shop and try on different styles. And it takes some dresses/designers a while to come in.
  • Taylor
    Rockstar October 2022
    Taylor ·
    • Flag
    That’s a perfect timeline. Gives you time to make appointments and look and order something and then plenty of time until you have to get it altered
  • Sara
    Devoted September 2022
    Sara ·
    • Flag

Perfect time. Here is how how my timeline went. I went shopping in October of 2021 and went to three shops in one weekend. Found "the one" at the last shop. My dress arrived in May and I just went for my first alteration on Saturday. I have my second appointment on August 20th. She said that could be the last one or we may need to tweak it some more. My wedding is September 10th.

• Breelyne
    Savvy October 2023
    Breelyne ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you for the timeline! That’s really helpful
  • Meghan
    Master October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

Definitely not too soon. Typically within 1 year is the perfect time to start shopping. If there is a specific boutique you are interested in shopping, or a specific designer, you could always call and ask what the lead time is on ordering dresses. I know a lot of things have been delayed since the pandemic.

• Paige
    Rockstar October 2022
    Paige ·
    • Flag

Totally fine to start looking now Smiley smile you could even schedule appointments just to look and see what you like when it's actually on you vs photoshopped on a model if you don't want to commit to a dress just yet. That was what I planned to do when I had an appointment a year and a half before our original wedding date, but I ended up finding my dress right then and there 🤷‍♀️😂 it'll be almost 3 years old by the time I finally wear it down the aisle now

• Brenda
    Dedicated October 2021
    Brenda ·
    • Flag
    Start looking more if you want, but no later than October of this year. Some dresses are still getting hit by supply chain issues and aren't coming in for 8-9 months after ordering. Other dresses are coming in 2 months after ordering. But I'd err on the safe side and look sooner rather than later! Especially because you need to leave 2-3 months room for alterations
  • M
    Savvy November 2022
    Mackenzie ·
    • Flag

I don't think any time is too early to start looking. My wedding is in November, I ordered my dress in January and it arrived in July. Obviously this isn't going to be the same for everyone but they say it could take 9 months for delivery so better to be early than late.

• Kelly
    Rockstar October 2023
    Kelly ·
    • Flag

I agree that you might want to start looking now. It took me months to figure out what I like. Also, every shop has told me to order at least a year in advance.

• A
    Amy ·
    • Flag

I would recommend starting anytime now. Dresses are taking 6 - 10 months to come in. You'll want to give yourself time to shop and make your selection. Alterations take two months, too.

• Bailey
    Rockstar October 2023
    Bailey ·
    • Flag

I'm also getting married 10/23 and I already have my dress. LOL. I'd say go for it!

• Michael
    VIP October 2023
    Michael ·
    • Flag

One boutique mentioned doing an appointment by Jan/Feb 2023 for an October wedding. I would go with the earlier date since she did not indicate whether that would be for early or late October date. It seems like it is one month longer than estimates would have been in 2019. so, maybe 7-10 months instead of 6-9. As always should be mentioned, there are faster options for getting a wedding dress.

• Julija
    Devoted October 2023
    Julija ·
    • Flag
    My wedding is October 1st, 2023 and I said yes to my dress this past February. My MOH said it is never too early to start wedding dress shopping. Also with the amount of time it is now taking dresses to come in (thanks Covid and Russia) time has only extended. My shop said it would take 9-12 months for my dress to come on and that is without the alterations.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics