We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Lindsey
Just Said Yes April 2021

How soon is it to start planning

Lindsey, on May 14, 2020 at 12:40 AM Posted in Planning 0 9
Saved Save
How soon is it to start planning a wedding?

9 Comments

• Nicole
    Rockstar November 2020
    Nicole ·
    • Flag
    I’m always in the camp of starting early if you’re able to. We started planning 2 years out (July 2018). Luckily, our venue, caterer, and photographers allowed us to sign contracts with them that far in advance. If you’re able to sign contracts and make deposits at 2 years out (any further feels a bit too far, in my opinion) then do it. Not only are you able to get your vendors locked in, but you’re also able to lock in a cheaper rate and begin putting money aside.
  • Rebecca
    Rockstar August 2019
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

There's no such thing as too soon, and no such thing as too late. There is really only what you're ready and able to do!

First, research, research, research. Take a look at what you like in your area, what the average costs are, and then figure out your guest list and budget off of that information.

Make liberal use of books, spreadsheets, websites, and whatever other tools - on this website or others - that help you and your FS.

Do not try to do this all by yourself. Make sure you work as a team, because a wedding is about the two of you!

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I am also one to think planning early is nice cause it gives you a chance to solidify the ideas you want and more time to look for them
  • Nefetera
    Rockstar March 2015
    Nefetera ·
    • Flag
    I say a year before is fine...9 months to actually put ideas into place
  • Lindsey
    Just Said Yes April 2021
    Lindsey ·
    • Flag
    We are looking at least a year before we get married. As long as nothing comes up. He thinks I'm crazy because I want to have everything in place and get head count and all that so we can decide where to have it and everything.
  • S
    Beginner November 2020
    Sam ·
    • Flag
    I would say it’s never too early. I think you should definitely book a venue ASAP with all the people rescheduling I think 2021 is going to be a hot mess trying to find a place to get married!
  • V
    Master July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I would definitely make a guest list before you look at venues that way you select a venue that is large enough to accommodate the number of people you plan to invite. I have seen plenty of brides on here pick a venue then realize later on the venue can't accommodate the number of people they would like to invite.
  • Elizabeth
    Rockstar June 2021
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

I think as long as you're engaged, go for it! We got engaged in November 2018 and started planning immediately. We booked our venue in February 2019 for June 2021. We were definitely early, but so far we've gotten all our first choice vendors and had plenty of time to get multiple quotes, etc. It's been fun being able to take our time and not rush any of it! I'm a huge advocate for planning early.

• Laquita
    Devoted July 2021
    Laquita ·
    • Flag

Do as much research as you possibly can, sometimes you'll get sick of wedding sites lol but it's all worth it. First thing you should do is get a guest list together, I know things can change over time, but you'll need a rough estimate when you start talking to venues (this will let you know what type of venue you want). If you plan on having a lot of DIY pieces, start gathering what you can now so you won't be overloaded when it's almost the big day. I've already started getting things for my favors & centerpieces, I've decided it's far cheaper to do that.

The day we got engaged is the day we started planning.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles