Elaine
Savvy October 2020

How necessary is it to buy rights for ceremony music?

Elaine, on July 28, 2019 at 5:19 PM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 1 10
Saved Save

How necessary is it to buy rights for ceremony music? I'm looking into maybe hiring a cellist for my wedding ceremony. I was torn for awhile between a vocalist, piano player, harpist and cello player. Is that standard procedure to have extra money for rights to the music?

10 Comments

• Hillary
    Devoted April 2020
    Hillary ·
    I’ve never heard of anyone doing that.
  • Elaine
    Savvy October 2020
    Elaine ·

That's what I thought. I've been chatting with a cello player online and gave her a sample playlist and she responded that she needed to buy the rights. I'm like, why? A wedding is generally not for profit.

• earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·
    View Quoted Comment

This is what sheet music is for. Has this person not performed at a wedding before so they don't know this? You don't normally have to buy the rights.

I hired a string duo to accompany the church's pianist and they performed several songs throughout the ceremony. They just purchased the sheet music if they didn't have it already.

• Elaine
    Savvy October 2020
    Elaine ·

I cancelled the request for sample playings. First, there's no price and all of the sudden, there's a price

• Mcellist
    Super March 2019
    Mcellist ·

Interesting. I play cello & I play for weddings at least once a month. I've NEVER paid for rights. I just buy the music. Maybe try finding another cellist.

• Elaine
    Savvy October 2020
    Elaine ·
    Thanks for the inside information
  • Kayla
    Devoted November 2019
    Kayla ·
    I'm hiring ceremony musicians and that wasn't anything that came up.
  • Susan
    Expert August 2019
    Susan ·
    That didn’t come up for the violins that we are using - we did have to pay a fee for a song that we wanted for the recessional, but that’s because they had to buy the sheet music because it wasn’t something already in their repertoire.
  • Elaine
    Savvy October 2020
    Elaine ·

I think that is probably what she meant, but whatever. I closed the request with that musician.

• Mandi
    Rockstar March 2020
    Mandi ·
    I mean... maybe? Churches have to buy the rights to use hymnals. So super legal by the letter. Probably. But I doubt many people do.

Comment on this discussion