Skip to main content
Jasmineminhee
Beginner February 2021

How much is too much money for a photographer?

Jasmineminhee, on January 7, 2020 at 3:43 PM Posted in Planning 0 21
Saved
I live in a small city in Texas and I’m having a hard time trying to figure out a good priced photographer or if they’re just ripping me off. Any advice?!

21 Comments

Latest activity by Ashlee, on January 11, 2020 at 1:46 PM
  • Sarah
    Master September 2019
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    I don’t live in Texas but photographers in my area (MA) range from about $2,000-$6,000 depending on experience and what’s included in their package.
  • Amber
    Master February 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag

It depends on how experienced the photographer is and what they're offering you in their package. How many hours, editing, day of the week, engagement/bridal session, second photographer, prints/products. What sort of quotes have you gotten so far?

• V
    Champion July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    It definitely depends on the area and the photographers experience. We looked at one ranging from $2,000-6,000 and up.
  • Kristen
    Master November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag

It really depends but I have seen photographers can charge less and still have good quality but on average photographers can charge $2000 - $3000 but I would say it depends on what comes with the package. Like some have a second photographer or they do all day.

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

We are outside of Denver. We paid $3,200 for 8 hours on our wedding day, 800+ edited pictures plus all unedited pictures, an engagement shoot with 100+ edited pictures, and a print release.

• Kelsie
    Devoted March 2020
    Kelsie ·
    • Flag

I paid $2,000 for mine in State College, PA. I got a great deal! Most that I was looking at were running between $1,800 and $3,000.

• Katie
    Super November 2019
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    I'm from a small Texas town and my photographer was $700 for 4 hours on location with the travel fee included and 80 - 90 photos. Our engagements were $120 as well as my bridal portraits.
  • Jasmineminhee
    Beginner February 2021
    Jasmineminhee ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Really? I wonder where you’re from 😭
  • Watts
    Super March 2020
    Watts ·
    • Flag
    Did you try lily and lime?
  • Jasmineminhee
    Beginner February 2021
    Jasmineminhee ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    So far I’ve gotten 2k to 9k 🥵
  • Jasmineminhee
    Beginner February 2021
    Jasmineminhee ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I have not actually!
  • Katie
    Super November 2019
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    My photographer was from Big Sandy and my wedding was in Henderson about 30 minutes from Tyler
  • Jasmineminhee
    Beginner February 2021
    Jasmineminhee ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Wow I’m VERY far south from that🥺
  • M
    Dedicated June 2021
    Mm126 ·
    • Flag
    Honestly, I went over budget on the photographer. Lol but I’ve seen that more experienced photographers tend to command more money, which makes sense. You’re paying for that experience/skill level. So if a photographer has 10+ years experience shooting weddings, and their portfolio really shows their skills, I’d wager my bets that they’re not ripping you off. You’re also paying for their time. Their job isn’t complete after 8 hours of shooting at your wedding - they also have to edit, which can take forever lol.

I’d say average for a good photographer in my area in Michigan is around $3k, but I have seen prices go up to $5k. The package can also determine the price. I went with the base package for mine, so no videography or second shooter. I didn’t mind not having a video, and I’m having a smaller wedding (80-100 people), so I didn’t see a second shooter as completely necessary.
    But, if the budget doesn’t allow for the $3k - $5k photographer, you can still get a decent one for around $2k. But, “decent” is subjective. You might find a photographer that charges $1k and really like their style. Different styles require a different photography skill set. Not to say one style is better than the other. “Better” is personal preference.
    That’s why I say that when you do your research, really study their portfolio. Do you vibe with their style, and do you feel that their photo quality is worth the price they are charging? Also important is when you interview them- do you vibe with their personality? Would they be easy to work with?
  • Haley
    Savvy October 2021
    Haley ·
    • Flag

I'm from West Texas (Midland) and my photographer is Starstudded Photography and she is charging me $1,500 for 6 hours for my wedding day, my choice of an engagement session or bridal session, and plus a mini album of our pictures! She also travels but I'm not sure how much her traveling fee is!

• J
    Beginner April 2020
    JENN ·
    • Flag

Im in a small town in Central Texas and our photographer was $1120 but included 1 Year Online Gallery, 12x12 24 Page wedding album, minimum of 500 Images, Free 8x10 Print of choice, A complimentary session (typically engagement), photo locket with a photo of choice from your session, & option to purchase prints. If this is any closer and may work for you, I can pass along her info.

• Dierdra
    Super August 2021
    Dierdra ·
    • Flag

Missouri was between **** depending on package.

• Jasmineminhee
    Beginner February 2021
    Jasmineminhee ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you! I'm more close to south Texas but ill definitely look into them!

• Jasmineminhee
    Beginner February 2021
    Jasmineminhee ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Oh i appreciate it! Thank you Smiley smile

• J
    Beginner April 2020
    JENN ·
    • Flag

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics