GardenParty18
Dedicated April 2018

How much $ for bridesmaid gifts?

GardenParty18, on November 24, 2017 at 10:15 AM Posted in Planning 0 30
Saved

How much did you spend on gifts for your bridesmaids per person?

30 Comments

Latest activity by Brujajaja, on November 29, 2017 at 12:31 AM
  • Alforev
    VIP August 2018
    Alforev ·
    • Flag

Good question! Following...

• MsToMrs
    Dedicated September 2018
    MsToMrs ·
    • Flag

I'm sure there are rules for how much you should spend. I think you should do what's within your budget and how many members are in your bridal party.

• PHXBride
    Expert February 2018
    PHXBride ·
    • Flag

I am at around a 100. For groomsmen a little less.

I only have 3 BM.

• Emma
    Master May 2017
    Emma ·
    • Flag

I didn't keep track. I bought each one things she would like, and I wrote them letters. I'll guess I spent between $50 and $80 on each.

Expert May 2018
    2018wedding ·
    • Flag

$100 max. I have 6.

• Oceankissed
    Super November 2017
    Oceankissed ·
    • Flag

I only had an MOH and I didn't spend any money per say. We have exchanged recipes for years through the mail so I took all of the recipes out them in a recipe card maker online and printed them out, I organized them in a photo album by section and then wrote comments by each one. I interspersed photos of us as well. She loved it - for her it is much more about time and effort than money spent. Depending on who you are asking, they might be the same way?

• ambrok
    Master October 2017
    ambrok ·
    • Flag

It really depends on your budget...I don't think there should be a 'minimum'. We waited on sales & spent no more than $50 for each person in the WP. I also wrote a personal note for each in the BP.

Some couples would find that too much, other would think it's not enough...it doesn't matter what strangers think...just gift them something they would like & is within your budget.

• Happy Hedgie
    VIP September 2018
    Happy Hedgie ·
    • Flag

I only have a MOH. I'm purchasing her dress, paying for her accessories and possibly hair (haven't decided if we will hire someone or do it ourselves). I'm also going to make her a gift basket for around $50-100. If it's in the budget I'll also cover her hotel room for the night.

It is important to me to treat my MOH well. She wouldn't need to spend this money if I hadn't decided to marry so I'm making sure she isn't out any money.

Also, just keep in mind that jewelry to wear day of, getting ready outfits, hair/makeup (if you are requiring it), etc. are not gifts. It is recommended to shop for them like it is their birthday.

• muriel
    Champion June 2018
    muriel ·
    • Flag

There are no rules.

This is like asking how much you should spend on a house. Dumbest question you could ask when house hunting.

You spend what you can afford, keeping in mind what you have asked them to spend on you, and also keeping in mind your overall budget.

• Maleficent
    Super January 2018
    Maleficent ·
    • Flag

I think its going to wind up being about $100 each. I'm not measuring so everything won't be 100% equal, but I'm trying to keep them all close.

• TugBride
    Expert October 2018
    TugBride ·
    • Flag

We are having a very small wedding on a tight budget so we were mindful of how many people we could ask and still afford to buy them something nice, so we are doing $30 on each of them at least but if we find extra money in the budget we will likely put it towards their gifts. We are also doing everything we can to make sure that they won't be spending a penny more than $100 total on themselves to be part of the wedding. It all depends on what you can afford in your budget and how much they are spending.

• Ks_catonlap
    Super October 2017
    Ks_catonlap ·
    • Flag

We spent around $50 a person. But it jus depends on your budget.

• MM
    Just Said Yes November 2017
    MM ·
    • Flag

@Happy Hedgie

That's basically what we did too! We bought the MOH and Best Man suits, and my bridesmaid's dress. We also budgeted to contribute to our bachelorette and bachelor parties and the bridal shower. They are covering their own shoes and any accessories, hair and makeup, and other extras they might want (like special robes or getting-ready extras beyond what I'm providing). We are young, and our bridal party is all working either part-time jobs, just starting a career, or still a student. FH and I waited until we were financially ready enough to not go into debt to get married, and it was important that we were able to help them out so they could be with us on our day. What is it, an article was going around saying the average bridesmaid shells out like $1600 to be a "typical" bridesmaid?? The least I can do is cover a nice suit that they can wear for interviews or other weddings and events. We are going out of our way for MOH because he and his family have helped with SO much this entire engagement.

All that said, typically a wedding gift for the bridal party members is an accessory or something they can wear on the wedding day and after. I would say the average price is $50-100 for something you know they'll use (like a spa or makeup set if she likes those most, or a shaving set for a man who loves grooming...but nice ones, not just a $10 kit of knock-offs from Ross or the Christmas section of Walmart). Look at your budget and what you can afford. Get them gifts they can use and love in the future, not just a bridesmaid robe they'll use for a couple pictures and never again, or just hair and makeup the day of. You know your bridal party better than any of us, so do what you want for them! Sometimes even treating them to a really nice dinner is enough!

I also would say not to necessarily look at what they're spending on you like a few people recommend. Get them a gift because you love them, not because they spent $500 so you should spend the same or some weird percent of what they spent. There's no math equation to it. Do what you feel is right to thank them for helping you and being your closest friends!

• Orchids
    Master March 2018
    Orchids ·
    • Flag

I only have 2 so I'm planning to go a little crazy getting their gifts. Smiley smile

• GreektoIrish2017
    Super October 2017
    GreektoIrish2017 ·
    • Flag

I spent about $100 on each bridesmaid

• muriel
    Champion June 2018
    muriel ·
    • Flag

@Mary -Re " I also would say not to necessarily look at what they're spending on you like a few people recommend"

That comment was made specifically because there are posts all the time from brides who ask for suggestions for gifts then say "I need cheap ideas because I have to buy for 8 bridesmaids!"

They didn't seem to think it was a problem when they asked 8 women to spend money on them".

• MM
    Just Said Yes November 2017
    MM ·
    • Flag

@muriel Ohhhh I see what you mean! Yes, some brides do expect the bridesmaids to spend a lot of money on them as well. I saw a few people in other posts suggest specific percentages as well. ("If their dress is $250 and their hair and makeup is $100 and they each spent $150 on the parties, take 15% of it and that's what you spend.") I havent seen anyone yet post asking for cheap gifts for the wedding party, but I haven't been around here too long either. That's why I said what I did.

I do completely agree that brides should not just get cheap gifts just because they chose to have many bridesmaids, plus had them spend hundreds of dollars each. That was their choice, and it should ALWAYS be worked into the budget before a bride asks 15 people to be in the bridal party and spend hundreds each. Either cut it down or cut something from your budget. They aren't servants and they are not "free work," they're your friends and they should be treated as such with gifts that are nice, not just running to Wal-Mart and buying a bunch of cheap perfume kits because you can't afford to get something they really deserve.

I do apologize if I came across rude in my statement, friends! Overall, this is something you look at your own budget to decide.

• S
    Super July 2018
    SLR ·
    • Flag

Mine are at about $100 including a couple of props. My mom said I was doing too much, but my girls all have to travel to the wedding so I want to make them feel appreciated.

• plangalCG
    VIP May 2018
    plangalCG ·
    • Flag

I miraculously survived to 41 only being a bridesmaid once. And that friend got us (9 maids) a bunch of crap--so I highly suggest not doing that. I spent a ton on a dress, shoes, taking her to a spa, travel, a wedding gift, and mind you, I didn't expect a gift, but something personal would have been nice. But we got matching accessories for the wedding (a clutch and shawl)--which I'm sure she thought "they can use again" but I didn't--perfume that I didn't wear, and a few doo dads like a keychain etc that had her wedding date engraved on it. To be, thought counts more than cost.

• Missviss8
    Just Said Yes October 2018
    Missviss8 ·
    • Flag

So far I've spent around $75 on each of them

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics