Jazz
Devoted June 2019

How many appetizers for 75 people?

Jazz, on May 6, 2019 at 4:20 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 10
Saved

Hey guys!! I'm almost a month away so I'm currently making changes that are due at my one month mark. One change being our appetizers. We originally chose a cheese tray, but they're all domestic cheeses that I eat literally every day, and it's a Colorado destination wedding so I wanted to add something more unique.

My dilemma (?) (meh more like current decision that has me stumped) is how many appetizers I should have.

A couple of things: We are getting married around 4PM. Guests will be shuttled to the reception area by 5. We'll have a trail mix bar as well as other activities (ziplining and yard games). Then dinner. Night will end with cake and s'mores by 9:30. This is kind of a dumb thing to worry about but I'm getting down to the minute details (hello anxiety!). The minimum of each appetizer/hord d'oeuvres is 48. Here are the choices we've narrowed it down to:

-asiago and artichoke cheese bites

-haystack mountain bruschetta (with goat cheese, proscuitto and cilantro avocado crema)

-Buffalo empanadas

Should I do 2 or 3 choices. Meaning should I do 96 appetizers or 144?

PS: Love you guys!! Thanks for keeping me (semi) sane!! Smiley heart

10 Comments

Latest activity by Celeste, on May 13, 2019 at 2:34 PM
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

I would go with 3 choices, I'm sure that they will be eaten and I'd rather have too much than not enough!

• Sarah
    Master September 2019
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    If it were me, I’d choose 2 different apps and do enough of each app for each of your guests to have one, so if you’re having 75 people order 150 servings.
  • Tessa
    Devoted November 2019
    Tessa ·
    • Flag

I would say minimum the 144. That's less than 2 apps per person. If it's in the budget, I would shoot for 3 apps per person. People are always hangry at cocktail hour because they ate an early lunch or no lunch in preparation for getting ready for the wedding (arranging travel to ceremony, getting the kids to the babysitter, getting out cash for the bar, ironing their husband's suit, searching for the card they know they bought when they were at Target 2 weeks ago....then going back to Target to buy another dang card, ect.) This is typically how it goes in our house when we are heading out to a wedding.

• Michelle
    VIP December 2019
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

I don't think 144 pieces is enough. You also have to think about people taking more than 1 or 2 of each, it happens at every wedding/event. Also What time is your dinner and how far away is the reception venue? I know you said people will be shuttled around 5. This is just an estimate. They'll get there about 530, while you take pics,cocktail hour will be from 530-630?? Introductions, first dance etc, so dinner should start around 7/730???? I think you'll need more food. People will be hungry. Are there any other options? Maybe fruit/veggie trays. I know I get very HANGRRRRRRYYYYY if I don't eat. I also get sick.

4 pieces per person, 30-60 minutes before dinner, cocktail hour. 6 pieces per person, 1.5-2 hour event, preceding dinner time

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

We have four passed appetizers & one stationary appetizer, one bite per person per appetizer (so 5 bites per person). We are getting married south of Denver, so we wanted as much Colorado themed food as possible. Our station is a Colorado Caprese station with goat cheese & burrata from Colorado and peaches/heirloom tomatoes from Colorado. Our passed apps will be bacon wrapped dates, smoked jalapeno cheddar buffalo sausage, pepper crusted NY strip steak bites, and green chile mac & cheese croquettes.

• alicia
    Dedicated May 2019
    alicia ·
    • Flag
    Both the chef and bride in me will say you you should definitely have one of every item for each person. I would only consider dropping below one per person if you had like 6 or 7 options for them to chose from.
  • Jazz
    Devoted June 2019
    Jazz ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I haven't decided when dinner would be but I was thinking about 7PM. And I meant they will be getting to the reception BY 5! Ceremony starts at 4 and we're just doing vows and that's it. The reception is on site, just like a mile or less away. We're also doing a big trail mix bar so that's mostly where the reluctance came from because I didn't want to have a bunch and some things don't even get touched. Thank you for the advice!!

• FutureStephD
    Super March 2019
    FutureStephD ·
    • Flag

Can you clarify, is this one piece per person, like an hors d'ourves? Or an appetizer like 3-4 bites per person?

If it's the former, I would do one of each per person... 2-3 each would be amazzzzing. If it's the latter I think you're okay with just one, but if it's in budget you could do two or three. Hope that makes sense...

• Jazz
    Devoted June 2019
    Jazz ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yes! I'm sorry I totally meant hors d'oeuvres. and thank you!!

• Celeste
    Dedicated October 2019
    Celeste ·
    • Flag

Can you clarify with your venue about the quantities for items? In my experience, they may give you a minimum order per item (4 dozen, in this case), but you might be able to add "by the dozen" to that number. So, for 75 guests, maybe you could do 72 or 84 per item, instead of 48 or 96? If that's the case, I'd go 84 each of 3 items (but also fine to do 72). However, if you really need to order in blocks of 48, and assuming budget is an issue, I'd do 94 of two items, plus one platter for 60. (Generally the per person servings on a platter are more generously portioned than passed app items - which are meant to be 1-2 bites.)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics