Laura
Rockstar November 2019

How does a dress get shipped if/when you sell it?

Laura, on January 25, 2020 at 3:00 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 5
Saved Save
I’m two months post-wedding and my dress is just taking up space. I have no daughters or nieces to potentially pass it down to and have no sentimental attachment to it beyond seeing it in pics. So I’ve been thinking of listing it on stillwhite or Mercari or...whatever else is out there. But his does the shipping work? I mean, does fedex have a box or do I find one that’ll hold the dress or what? Who pays the shipping fees typically? How much can I expect shipping to cost?

5 Comments

• Nefetera
    Devoted May 2020
    Nefetera ·
    • Flag
    Theres an app called "LET GO" shopping options are there or FB market
  • Tina
    VIP March 2020
    Tina ·
    • Flag
    You usually find a big box to ship it in. If you pay for shipping think of adding the price into your asking price. Depending on the size and weight of your dress it can be expensive. You could also try Facebook marketplace and sell it local.
  • Laura
    Rockstar November 2019
    Laura ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    It’s not an overly heavy dress-it’s a tulle tea length. But maybe FB Marketplace is a better option. At least it’s free.
  • Noelle
    Devoted November 2019
    Noelle ·
    • Flag
    Shipping a dress isn’t so hard. If you put it in its garment bag and roll it up, you can get it to fit in a box that isn’t so big. Especially since you said it’s tulle and tea length. Should be easy to fit.

When you make your listing, you simply include that “buyer pay shipping” or “shipping included,” whichever you decide.
    When I bought a gown on line, the seller used UPS and it cost around $30. Another seller said $50 to ship. So that’s a ballpark for you.
    You could pack it up, take it to a UPS store, and get a quote. Of course it will change depending on where the buyer lives. But I think $30-$50 is about what it costs to ship.
  • Mary
    Dedicated May 2020
    Mary ·
    • Flag

I have an eBay side hustle, where I sell clothes and makeup, mostly.

You will definitely need to include a garment bag and a hanger. This means your box will need to be fairly large (about 24 in wide and 16 in tall and 6 in deep, roughly), in order to accommodate the dress. If you want to estimate shipping charges, I'd recommend going to your local office and using the scale at the automated kiosk to weigh it. Then input that weight and box measurements in any of the major shippers (UPS, Fedex, USPS) websites to determine cost, although that's hard to do if you don't know where exactly where to ship.

You will also need to include insurance and possibly require signature as well. Personally, I add insurance to items over $150, and require signature for items over $300.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics