We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

R
Just Said Yes May 2021

How do you know who to invite and not invite?

Riley, on April 15, 2020 at 1:52 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 8
Saved Save
What are the etiquette rules when it comes to inviting guest? What if you haven’t talked in years? What about couples? Kids will be invited so no problem there. As for family it’s just close family. I do have a family member that as upset other family members and haven’t talked for years. Who I invite them still? I don’t want to worry about anything happening. Anything I’m missing?

8 Comments

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle Online ·
    • Flag

This really depends. a lot of people only invite recent people you're still in touch with in the last 1-2 years but my husband definitely invited some friends he hadn't seen or spoken much to at all past that. for coworkers this is also dependent on how many you have. for instance i only had like a dozen coworkers so i invited them all because to me if you've only got a small amount of coworkers it's sort of like all or none. now if i had 40 coworkers then i'd just only invite the ones i work closely with or am close to

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    If you want someone at your wedding, you invite them.
    Couples are social units and should be invited together.
    If you haven’t talked in years and you want them there, invite them. If you talked yesterday and you don’t want them at your wedding, don’t invite them. It’s your wedding.Drama between family members is their own issue, not yours. I wouldn’t even take it into consideration.
  • Sherry
    Rockstar September 2019
    Sherry ·
    • Flag

You should only invite people you want at your wedding. You are not required to invite anyone. Anyone invited that is in a relationship should get a plus one so that they can bring their significant other. Family members that are having issues should not affect you or your guest list as they are adults and need to act as such but this also goes back to not being required to invite anyone.

• A
    Expert October 2021
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    Invite who you want. You don’t need include people you haven’t talked to in years if you don’t want to. You don’t have to invite people you talk to daily if you don’t want to. You should invite those who will make your day enjoyable, you will be happy to see, and you are close to. The exception to this is, of course, couples. If it’s a serious relationship or a marriage, both parts get invited together, regardless of how well you know each person.
  • Alisa
    Devoted January 2021
    Alisa ·
    • Flag
    Remember you cant please everyone and aome people are truly going to be butt hurt. At the end of the day its between you and your FH and that's all that matters.

We decided if we havent talked to a friend in over a year they were not invited. We actually had my fiance's brother ask if they could invite a babysitter to the wedding to watch their kids! I just couldn't believe it and of course we said no.
  • Jana
    Rockstar June 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    I've personally never understood the "if you haven't seen them in 5 years, don't invite them" idea, especially since people keep up with each all over the world via email, text, Facebook, etc even if you haven't seen them in person forever.
    Decide who you can't imagine spending your day without being in attendance and go from there. Don't feel obligated to invite folks to please others if they make you uncomfortable.
  • Samantha
    Rockstar October 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    There are aunts and cousins we’re not inviting and friends I haven’t seen in years that are invited because we’re still close. There are no rules, except that you invite both halves of a social unit (couples).
  • Cassandra7
    Super August 2006
    Cassandra7 ·
    • Flag

Invite both halves of a couple by name; a couple is not a guest and a plus-one.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles