Crystal
Beginner September 2020

How do you figure out how much alcohol you need to buy?

Crystal, on November 8, 2019 at 8:56 AM Posted in Wedding Reception 1 4
Saved

We are getting married on my parents property (40 acre farmland) and we will be supplying the booze ( mostly beer (cans), wine, and perhaps the makings for a couple "signature" cocktails. Along with non-alcoholic based drinks for kids and non-drinkers.

We are having a smallish wedding, total adults around 65 and children 16. There will not be a "bartender" so the cocktails may be pre-made in beverage dispensers and the beer/wine will be out. I worry about not getting enough

4 Comments

Latest activity by Sinéad, on November 12, 2019 at 7:22 AM
  • Ivy ORP
    VIP October 2019
    Ivy ORP ·
    • Flag

This is a know your crowd situation. We planned for 50 people, bought 3 1/2 cases of wine, 10 bottles champagne, 4 larges cases of beer, and two batches of our signature drink. Our drink was gone at the end of the night, we have 3 bottles of champagne, 2 cases of beer, and 1 1/2 cases of wine left. We way overbought but we mostly bought what we like and would drink after the wedding. I thought our guests that drink would drink more, others I thought would have one or two didn't drink at all. There are website that calculate for you. I found that helpful but rounded up because I will always want too much instead of not enough.

• Meghan
    Master October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

https://www.evite.com/pages/party/drink-calculator

Here is a drink calculator. You put in the number of guests, number of hours, and types of alcohol needed and it will give you a rough estimate of what you need. But as Ivy ORP said, it is a know your crowd type of thing. Our planner suggested to us how much alcohol we should order. We knew we had a large amount of heavy drinkers/partiers on our guest list, so we added on to the alcohol amount she suggested and had very little left over at the end of the night.

• M
    Expert September 2020
    Marcia ·
    • Flag
    We are just having beer and wine. We are expecting 75 guests. 50 of those are likely to drink at least lightly. We ordered a case of white, case of red and we are going to get 15 cases of beer. Also sodas and water.
  • Sinéad
    WeddingWire Administrator January 2025
    Sinéad ·
    • Flag

Hey Crystal!

When it comes to buying alcohol for your wedding, it’s important to think about the guests you are inviting. Are they light of heavy drinkers? How long will your reception last?

How much do you anticipate an average guest drinking in an hour? After you have calculated this amount, I would increase it by 25%, just to be safe.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics