Arlene
Just Said Yes June 2020

How and when should you go about booking an officiant?

Arlene, on April 26, 2020 at 12:03 AM Posted in Planning 0 6
Saved
My fiance and I booked a courthouse ceremony months ago, before all of the shutdowns, for June 26th. The courthouse has now been closed since March and will not be doing weddings again until at least June 1st. We are becoming more concerned that our courthouse date could be cancelled since they have extended their closure 3 times now.

I see many couples are still eloping despite the shutdowns, following guidelines of course. I would like to explore other options for us too. The only thing we are missing is an officiant. We unfortunately do not personally know anyone who is certified, and I'm not sure where to begin looking?
I have searched online and have seen prices beyond our budget, but I assume those prices may be for a full traditional ceremony, not elopements? We do have a photographer already booked and paid for who had a special package specifically for elopements. My gut is telling me to reach out to him to ask if he may know an available officiant.
I'm also concerned that it could be too late to find an officiant since we are only about 2 months away now. Should I just wait out a few more weeks to see if the courthouse opens or extends closure or start looking for an officiant and making alternative plans ASAP?

6 Comments

Latest activity by Rebelle Fleur, on April 26, 2020 at 1:15 PM
  • Rebelle Fleur
    Rockstar July 2021
    Rebelle Fleur ·
    • Flag
    You can have a friend or family member become ordained online and have them officiate.
  • Sara
    Dedicated August 2020
    Sara ·
    • Flag
    My father in law got ordained online and married us. It was a very sweet ceremony. Perfect for getting married during a pandemic
  • R
    Super September 2018
    Rachel ·
    • Flag
    Legally married or a symbolic ceremony? I think for many people legally married isn’t an option as the courthouses are not open to grant or process marriage licenses. But if you already have or are able to get the marriage license taken care of, then definitely ask your vendors if they can recommend anyone to do any elopement ceremony.
  • Arlene
    Just Said Yes June 2020
    Arlene ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes that's what I was thinking too, I hope our photographer would have some leads since he also provides other wedding services. Our court is allowing people to apply for marriage licenses virtually so we would still be able to obtain the license, they're just not holding ceremonies at the moment.
  • Arlene
    Just Said Yes June 2020
    Arlene ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    This is a nice thought but I can't think of anyone who would be willing to do this for us. We were already having the small courthouse weeding because neither of us have much family, and I'm not confident anyone in either family would be comfortable officiating and many of our friends live far and not traveling because of the pandemic.
  • Rebelle Fleur
    Rockstar July 2021
    Rebelle Fleur ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Check your state laws in some states/counties you can become and officiant and perform your own ceremony.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics