Rebecca
Super August 2019

Hotel conundrum

Rebecca, on July 25, 2019 at 2:37 AM Posted in Planning 0 10
Saved Save
So, we made a small hotel block.
The deadline was July 24. I did not realize that meant, in reality, July 23. I reached out today, and FH and I are the only ones booked at the hotel. The out-of-town guests who might have used the hotel have not RSVP'd yet (and... are likely "no"s? They are my mother's side of the family, and she is mad at me). The hotel has low availability at this point, and can't offer the better rate. (I'm a little miffed we didn't get any updates from the hotel, or even had a link to check.)

So, now, it's just FH and I at the hotel, when we live just a few subway stops away from our venue.

Should we cancel the room and just stay at home? (...I'm not sure we can cancel at this point, but I'd certainly ask..) Find a new hotel? Go to this hotel even though we'll be the only ones?

10 Comments

• Cheryl
    Expert November 2020
    Cheryl ·
    • Flag
    You may want a night away and a little privacy? Silver lining?
  • Alycia
    Super July 2020
    Alycia ·
    • Flag

It's your wedding. Keep the room as a romantic getaway. Let someone else do the cooking and cleaning. Sleep- in, have breakfast delivered to your room, then relax while someone else does the dishes. Who cares if anyone else stays there?

• Futuremrsk
    VIP August 2019
    Futuremrsk ·
    • Flag
    Stay at the hotel! You will most likely be exhausted after the wedding, and being able to just go to a clean room and relax, get breakfast, and not have to worry about cleaning or anything will be so nice! Honestly, if we could we would probably stay at our hotel the whole week before the wedding. We are out of state and going back home for it. Staying at FHs moms house. We love her, but we will be sleeping on a full size bed (used to a ki g size), and there will be a 3 other additional adults there so the house will be crazy! We will be looking forward to some quiet time at the hotel the night before.
  • Yoice
    VIP March 2019
    Yoice ·
    • Flag
    I say keep the hotel. You don’t need to be where others are and people might end up booking in the end anyways at the normal rate just for convenience. You can also try to find another hotel for the guest with a good rate but only if you think a lot of them are staying in hotels.
  • Sara
    Super October 2019
    Sara ·
    • Flag

I'd keep the hotel and not worry too much about any other guests who missed the deadline. Having some options to recommend if anyone comes to you might be a good idea, but it sounds like folks had enough time to book if they wanted to get in on your block.

• Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

If you can cancel, I would. We were originally going to stay in a hotel with our OOT guests, but we ended up not having a lot of OOT guests (only 2 rooms required). So we decided to forgo the hotel block / room and just stay in our own bed at our own house and save the money. I have no regrets doing that. It was nice sleeping in my own bed, and having everything there for us to get ready for our honeymoon.

Edit: We were so exhausted by the end of the night. That was another reason why our own bed vs a hotel was better. No reason to pack a bunch of stuff to go sleep in a strange place a few miles away, just to have to be out by a certain time and transfer your stuff again. At home, you have everything you need and don't have to worry about forgetting anything. We definitely enjoyed our hotel room on our honeymoon though....which we went on the next day.

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I would cancel but it does sound kind of fun to have a mini getaway even if it isn't necessarily going anywhere
  • Rebecca
    Super August 2019
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

We're asking to cancel.

We live so close, we'll just take a fancy Lyft home... if we can cancel.

• Kiki
    Dedicated November 2019
    Kiki ·
    • Flag

If you informed these people about the hotel block deadline then, that is up to you. Most people these days know how to look for hotels online you went the extra mile to help them out. Now if they decide to go then they need to look up somewhere to stay. I think people expect you to not only plan a wedding but also do everything for everyone else. I would try and find another hotel in the area and suggest that one.

• Rebecca
    Super August 2019
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

Successfully canceled.

My parents will be staying close to our place, his parents live in NYC, so, really, if any family/close friends DO stay over, they'll likely be at one of those places.
    We don't see the point in paying $200+ for a hotel when we live so close.

Comment on this discussion