Rachel
Savvy May 2021

Hotel blocking

Rachel, on February 24, 2020 at 7:08 PM Posted in Planning 0 9
Saved
Hiii everyone! I’m getting married next May, and I am in need of advice for hotel blocking. I found 2 hotel options for people to stay over night. The first hotel is 15-20 min drive each way. I planned on getting a shuttle to drive people to and from the venue in case there is a lot of drinking. The second hotel is only a 5 min drive each way however the hotel makes you pay 50-70% of each room that isn’t booked that I block off. My parents are telling me I should block off rooms for the closer one so people aren’t waiting for the shuttle, but I think it’s a ridiculous idea to pay 50-70% of each room that isn’t used? Am I wrong for choosing the one that’s farther away?? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

9 Comments

Latest activity by Suzanne, on February 25, 2020 at 6:26 PM
  • Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    I wouldn’t sign any contract that has you on the hook financially for unhooked rooms. So book wherever is closest that offers a courtesy block.
  • Caitlin
    Devoted June 2021
    Caitlin ·
    • Flag
    I wouldn’t book something that requires you to pay!
  • Rachael
    Expert May 2021
    Rachael ·
    • Flag
    I would pick a courtesy block as well instead of paying unless you can pick a low number of rooms to block and can still get more.
  • Suzie
    Super October 2021
    Suzie ·
    • Flag

Don’t book somewhere that makes you pay for unused rooms. There should be a time frame where if rooms aren’t blocked, they’re just released back to the hotel. I did a block of 15 rooms, and any rooms that are not reserved 21 days out are auto-released. We have no financial obligation whatsoever. They didn’t even ask for a credit card on file. 15-20 mins from the hotel is not bad at all, especially if you are providing a shuttle. I would never pay for something I am not using. This hotel seems shady.

• Mcskipper
    Master July 2018
    Mcskipper ·
    • Flag
    Personally I’d block at the farther one and tell guests you have a block there and that there will be a shuttle. You can also note the closer hotel as secondary accommodation that is close to the venue but with no block. I know a few relatives I had who didn’t care about partying it up that would’ve been happy to provide their own transportation and be close. So it’s a nice second option to have. No need to block rooms there. Unless absolutely necessary, I wouldn’t want to sign up to pay for unused rooms.
  • KandiKrix
    Dedicated August 2020
    KandiKrix ·
    • Flag

Definitely check out some other hotels in the area because that seems risky to have to pay for unused rooms. I would stick with blocking the other hotel and seeing if you can find something else in the area that could also be blocked for your guests.

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

I'd do the courtesy block and pay for the shuttle. Our hotel was 35 minutes from our venue and guests were fine with our two large buses.

• Rachel
    Savvy May 2021
    Rachel ·
    • Flag
    Thank you everyone for your advice! I’m just going to stick to the hotel I have rooms blocked off- and possibly have 2 shuttles going so no ones late to the ceremony!☺️
  • Suzanne
    Dedicated July 2021
    Suzanne ·
    • Flag

I'm planning on doing a shuttle service too. I know it's an added expense for the wedding, but I think it's a good way to keep people safe and to let them enjoy the wedding. And honestly waiting for a shuttle I don't think will be that different than waiting for an uber.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics