We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Cora
Beginner October 2021

Honoring someone that can not be there

Cora, on August 21, 2020 at 8:15 PM Posted in Planning 0 9
Saved Save
Hi everyone. I will be getting married in October 2021. My older brother passed away in February of this year at only 30 years old due to a rare cancer. What are some ways that I can honor him at either the ceremony or reception? I’ve been looking into it a bit, but have been getting too sad and need to stop. I never thought he wouldn’t be at my wedding! Thanks for the advice.

9 Comments

Latest activity by Rebecca, on August 22, 2020 at 3:50 AM
  • Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I’ve seen some people leave a chair open with a sign or photo of them on it
  • Kristen
    Rockstar November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag

I am sorry for your loss and I know how it feels to not have someone at such an important day when you always imagined it that way. Both my parents are deceased so a way of honoring them is I will have a double photo charm on my bouquet with their pictures so they are with me as I walk down the aisle. I have also seen a table honoring deceased family members with picture frames.

• Jana
    Rockstar October 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    Carry a photo in a locket attached to your bouquet
  • Liz
    Savvy August 2021
    Liz ·
    • Flag

I'm really, really sorry about your brother. I've seen a lot of memorial ideas online, but first and foremost I advise you to keep your feelings in mind. Your wedding day will be very emotional and everything will be amplified. I made an extremely vague reference to my dad's death in my wedding vows and I had to pause for what felt like forever before I could continue. No need to plan anything until you are ready-- and once you are, don't push yourself too hard or include anything that you think will make you lose it. It will be a day of many emotions and you need to take care of yourself.

P.S. I had a necklace made with my dad's thumbprint and wore it to my elopement ceremony. That was enough for me.

• Cora
    Beginner October 2021
    Cora ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I love the idea of the photo charm! Thank you for that and I am so sorry for your loss
  • Cora
    Beginner October 2021
    Cora ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That is really great advice. Thank you for that! I’m sorry about your loss too. I have a necklace with my brother’s thumbprint too and wear it every day
  • Kristen
    Rockstar November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you and same. I know at David's Bridal they have the photo charm.
  • Shantell
    Savvy September 2020
    Shantell ·
    • Flag
    I am doing a photo charm of my grandma on my bouquet and my fiancé is making his friend who passed an honorary groomsman and he will have a chair with a sign and a boutonniere on it
  • Rebecca
    Rockstar August 2019
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

Our venue had a wall with shelving on it, and we gave them a bunch of photos to display. They set them up very nicely and safely.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles