We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Bridget
Just Said Yes August 2022

Honeymoon

Bridget, on May 23, 2020 at 2:19 AM Posted in Honeymoon 1 11
Saved Save
Any ideas for a road trip across the USA?tenor.gif

11 Comments

• Rebecca
    Rockstar August 2019
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

So many!

But first: budget? Type of vehicle? Preferred activities? Places you *don't* want to go?

• Belle
    Super July 2021
    Belle ·
    • Flag
    Check the car condition throughly. SUV with roof storage is great for road trips, in case you guys have to sleep in car. Our SUV’s back seats can be all flattened, so we could sleep comfortably. Always bring lots of water and snacks. Carry strong rope, knife, first aid kit and some other meds, bring a map. Always tell someone (parents maybe) about your last location, just in case.

If you need tips where worth to stop, stay, or hike, let me know.
  • A
    Expert December 2020
    Anais ·
    • Flag
    I agree with the first poster, I think answering those questions first would help us give tips!
    I’ve done both a north and south road trip so I can give some ideas depending if there are specific places you want to go or not
  • Courtney
    Super September 2019
    Courtney ·
    • Flag
    I’ve used the RoadTripper app to plan a road trip in the Northeast before. It lets you add your POIs, your stops etc and I found it fun and useful!
  • Amy
    Devoted October 2019
    Amy ·
    • Flag
    Since we can’t travel to Europe right now, we decided to do the same thing! We’re from Florida so we’re going to New Orleans, Dallas, Colorado Springs, and South Dakota. (Thats what we have planned so far)
  • Cassandra7
    Super August 2006
    Cassandra7 ·
    • Flag

Advice for a road trip during a pandemic: Don't take one. Too dangerous for you and for everyone you meet.

• Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    Yes! My husband and I did one years ago before we were even engaged. He was originally from Southern California, so we were driving his car back to New Jersey. We started in LA, went to Vegas, then tried to go to the Grand Canyon but got lost and realized it was actually much further than we thought and missed that one lol, but then we did Zion National Park (Utah), Arches National Park (in Moab, Utah), drove through the Rocky Mountains in Colorado, stopped in Denver and Boulder, went up through Wyoming and Nebraska (not much to see there lol), went to Mount Rushmore, drove through Badlands National Park (South Dakota), then to Sioux Falls South Dakota (super cute little town... I only knew of it because I did a South Dakota research project in 4th grade and it went on my bucket list then 😂), then to Mall of America in Minnesota, visited my uncle who lives outside of Oshkosh Wisconsin, then to Chicago, through Indiana, and our final stop was in Pittsburgh but at that point we were too exhausted and homesick to enjoy it so we kinda blew through Pittsburgh (just stopping to sleep and for breakfast) and headed home to New Jersey at that point.

The whole trip took 8 days and I believe about 60 hours in the car. My recommendations:
    -make hotel reservations in advance so you don’t have to stress about where to stay, but make sure they’re refundable in case you fall behind.
    -PLAN PLAN PLAN. I spent months planning out our route, making sure we didn’t have too much time in the car on any given day, making sure we could get from point A to point B in time and have enough time at each destination. the only things that didn’t go according to plan for us was that I miscalculated the distance to the grand canyons entrance (turns out the area I was planning to stop at involved miles of off-roading lol) and Zion was PACKED because it was Memorial Day weekend.

-Utah and Colorado are THE coolest and most beautiful states to drive through
    -drive in the morning and at night, and arrive at your destinations around lunchtime. This is how you maximize daylight hours at your destinations! We woke up at about 7am every day, had breakfast, and planned to arrive at our next stop around lunchtime. We’d spend the day at that stop, have dinner there, and then start driving again after dinner. This way the bulk of our driving was done at night when there was (1) less traffic (2) less to do anyways so we weren’t missing out on much. And we got to enjoy the afternoons in all the places we wanted to see.

-keep water bottles in your car. More than you think you’ll need. Also snacks that are high in protein, like nuts.
    -do not drive for more than 3 hours at a time. Even if you don’t feel tired, you are. I was dizzy and nauseous like crazy when I tried to push it to 4.

Let me know if you have any questions in particular because this was one of the best things we’ve ever done 😄
  • Bridget
    Bridget ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Wow this is such an amazing response! Thank you for all your advice!
  • Bridget
    Bridget ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I’d really love to go to New Orleans and Austin!
  • Bridget
    Bridget ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    RoadTripper! Got it thank you!tenor.gif

• Bridget
    Bridget ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That’s a great idea! Thank you