We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Crystal
Dedicated October 2017

Honeymoon Budget- New Orleans

Crystal, on October 5, 2016 at 11:30 AM Posted in Honeymoon 0 13
Saved Save

Hello all,

We are planning a honeymoon in New Orleans and I was wondering how much a realistic budget for that should be? Also any tips or advice would be great! Thanks in advance!

13 Comments

Latest activity by Ms. MRose, on October 5, 2016 at 10:01 PM
  • prisandbigfootsbuddy
    Super March 2017
    prisandbigfootsbuddy ·
    • Flag

I have never been there, but a good way to make a budget is to do mock hotel, car rental, and flight bookings, that way you can guess how much you are looking to spend in the basics. Then add on what you are comfortable spending on three meals a day, drinks, and entrance to hotels or attractions that you want to visit.

Remember that prices for airfare and hotels change often, you have to keep that in mind. For my own honeymoon (Mediterranean cruise for 7 days) I checked prices constantly on my own, and I also contacted a travel agent. The agents prices where higher, so I booked on my own.

Watch out for price adjustments. Oftentimes hotels and some airlines may be willing to reduce your fare if they advertise a lower one. I got a price adjustment for my cruise, and I know Jet Blue gives you credit towards your next flight if you see that they advertise a lower fare (and you request adjustment).

• LynZLeigh
    VIP June 2017
    LynZLeigh ·
    • Flag

Hey. NOLA resident here. One note: PLEASE do not stay in an AirBnB. They are destroying our local economy and everyone here violently hates them. You can get some decently priced hotels online, and there are some great LEGAL bnbs that are adorable. Food prices are high here, but WORTH it. Now that we have Uber, transportation is relatively affordable, and the streetcar is $1.25/ride.

• LynZLeigh
    VIP June 2017
    LynZLeigh ·
    • Flag

There is lots of free entertainment, but if you hang out on Bourbon Street the whole time (not recommended), prepare to overpay for drinks and basically everything.

• LynZLeigh
    VIP June 2017
    LynZLeigh ·
    • Flag

Frenchmen Street is a better bet for great live music and a cool arts market.

• LynZLeigh
    VIP June 2017
    LynZLeigh ·
    • Flag

Not in New Orleans.

• LynZLeigh
    VIP June 2017
    LynZLeigh ·
    • Flag

That's why I share it at every possible opportunity. :-) Its a hot topic right now. Landlords are evicting long time tenants in favor of short term rentals, and no one can afford to actually live here anymore. It's pretty awful.

• Crystal
    Dedicated October 2017
    Crystal ·
    • Flag

I found a few hotels I was really interested in...Im not a big airbnb person, and thank you for the tips!

• Leslie
    Super September 2017
    Leslie ·
    • Flag

My best friend from college and I spent a long weekend with our FHs last year. She pricelined the hotel we stayed at in the French Quarter for $125-150 a night.

We budgeted a lot for food because we wanted to check out some higher end restaurants. Commanders Palace was amazing, but came at a high price tag. I'd totally go and spent a shit ton of money there again Lol. Also, a pretty inexpensive restaurant was the Ruby Slipper Cafe. Breakfasts there were the best I've had. Have a great time! It's a wonderful place with a ton of history and culture.

• Deb
    VIP January 2017
    Deb ·
    • Flag

I'm headed there for a short honeymoon. I was lucky enough to have enough points for airfare and hotel so we are planing to splurge on food. Commanders Palace is on our list!!!

We plan to uber around so that we don't have to rent a car.

• LynZLeigh
    VIP June 2017
    LynZLeigh ·
    • Flag

We have both Uber and Lyft here now, and that's all I use to go out these days. @Crystal, if you have any questions I can help with, feel free to shout out to me as any time! We love visitors. :-)

• BekahJ90
    Devoted December 2016
    BekahJ90 ·
    • Flag

Frenchmen Street is far above Bourbon. Don't just stay in the Quarter, though - be sure to venture uptown and maybe tour the Audubon Zoo and check out the restaurants and bars on Oak Street. There are places you can eat for cheap - and for almost every day of the week you can find oyster happy hours, etc. I lived there for about 6 years and loved it! I second avoiding AirBnB. We will be staying at the French Market Inn in the quarter. It is really quaint and VERY affordable. They offer huge discounts for booking in advance.

• BekahJ90
    Devoted December 2016
    BekahJ90 ·
    • Flag

Also, also, I'm not sure where you are located or how you are planning on getting there - but FH and I are actually taking Amtrak to get there. Tickets are only $35 each way from our nearest station. It will take about 6.5 hours, but FH has never been on a train and it is nothing like flying. Have plenty of space to move around and comfy seats (and they have a bar and food car.) FH is actually pretty excited about the train ride. Will just give us more time to spend together and goof around.

• Ms. MRose
    Super April 2017
    Ms. MRose ·
    • Flag

As a New Orleans native, we vehemently hate AirBnB! Also, venture outside of the French Quarter. Go Uptown or the Garden District.

ETA: punctuation

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles