Kaye
VIP October 2018

Holy Moly Publix cake prices

Kaye, on March 29, 2018 at 10:21 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 24
Saved Save
I priced out a buttercream cake at Publix. My reception will have a Max of 70 people. The cake came to $370 including delivery. I want a very simple cake but wanted to price out a tiered cake. My local bakery who makes great cakes were $250 cheaper but they don't do tiers and don't deliver. This would mean doing a dessert table with 3 cake stands. Anyone tried Sam's club? Prices? This just doesn't seem like the bargain it used to be.

24 Comments

• Marie
    Devoted March 2018
    Marie ·
    • Flag
    Wow! Publix cakes are delicious and compared to bakeries, priced competitively. I like the look of three cake stands but that's just me. Sam's had excellent cakes too!
  • Jessica
    Savvy October 2018
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    Id look around. First quote I got for 75 guests was 430. Found someone else for 315!
  • Mrs. Danihel
    Expert May 2018
    Mrs. Danihel ·
    • Flag
    That really isn't that bad. Mine is for 95 guests. 3 tiered, very simple and it is $450 and a $175 delivery.
  • Jessica
    Savvy October 2018
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    175 for DELIVERY???! Mine is 25...
  • Mrs. Danihel
    Expert May 2018
    Mrs. Danihel ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Mine is also about 20 miles cause I don't have a bakery in my town.
  • Sara
    Devoted June 2018
    Sara ·
    • Flag
    I'm going to do the 3 cake stands. Then I'm just ordering 3 plain white round cakes and adding fresh flowers myself. I'm not telling the bakery that they're wedding cakes because I think they automatically just make them more expensive. We're also having a dessert bar, so the 3 cakes don't have to feed everyone. Good luck!!
  • Rj923
    Dedicated May 2018
    Rj923 ·
    • Flag
    Sam's club does a 3 tier for $67 (might not be exact). It serves 66 people. I just looked at them earlier this week...they have some really cute designs!
  • T
    Dedicated September 2018
    Turnicia ·
    • Flag
    Sam's Club cakes are so good and cute!
  • plangalCG
    VIP May 2018
    plangalCG ·
    • Flag
    Man, my cake is RIDICULOUSLY expensive. I can’t even talk about it because it’s embarrasing.
  • F
    Beginner June 2018
    F ·
    • Flag
    My sister got a simple but elegant 2 tier cake from Wal-Mart for $45. It was ivory with a clear sparkle sprinkles on the top layer. She had to pick it up that morning but it was packaged well for travel. She ordered the topper from Amazon for $8. I wanted to be snobby about the cake but I citing couldn't. It was super cute and moist and very affordable. Total win.
  • Future Mrs M
    Super June 2018
    Future Mrs M ·
    • Flag

Various cake stands are a very popular set up!

• Future Mrs M
    Super June 2018
    Future Mrs M ·
    • Flag

However, also, keep in mind cost of stands.

• FME
    Master March 2018
    FME ·
    • Flag

I got a cake Stand that is 3 levels high but essentially makes the cake 3 seperate cakes with about 2" in between each layer. So it was kinda tiered, but not connected. Most of the cake quotes I were getting were $350-$475 + Delivery, but I went this route and spent $150 for 3 cakes, including sugar flowers and delivery and I spent $35 on the cake stand.

• Jennifer
    Master September 2018
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

I have heard good things about Sams and from what I have seen they are much less expensive. I think single tiers are just as pretty as tiered cakes (honestly I don't like tiered cakes). I think if you set up your dessert table with different levels of cake stands it can be so much more pretty than this giant 3-4 tiered cake which IMO is so old fashioned.

• SpringBride2018
    Super April 2018
    SpringBride2018 ·
    • Flag

Publix came out cheapest for our wedding cake! And they're cakes are amazing, so totally worth the price.

• Kaye
    VIP October 2018
    Kaye ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Definitely! Even factoring in the cake stands, I'm still saving a little under $200. But now to find a way to pick them up and transport them on a really busy day prior to the wedding.
  • Kaye
    VIP October 2018
    Kaye ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    As long as you love it and can afford it, it's all good! Enjoy!
  • plangalCG
    VIP May 2018
    plangalCG ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yeah we better enjoy it! We are in a beach location and I think a lot of stuff is way more expensive. I wanted a grocery store cake or a cutting cake with cupcakes—they have Publix there—but my FH of all people objected! He mystifies me sometimes!
  • firstoneat56
    Master August 2017
    firstoneat56 ·
    • Flag

We didn't have cake but we had a dessert table and it was $700 for 73 people. $370 sounds very reasonable to me. Plus, I've heard Publix bakery goods are delicious. We don't have Publix here in NY but my H is from Miami and he loves Publix.

• Kaye
    VIP October 2018
    Kaye ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I think it is the fact that it's a frozen grocery store cake that's going to cost $5 a serving which seemed much more inline with regular bakery prices. On the other hand, their cakes are tasty.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics