Erin
Rockstar July 2021

High Altitude Wedding?

Erin, on September 12, 2019 at 12:03 AM Posted in Planning 0 17
Saved Save

I found a venue that I really liked today and wanted to go tour. It has the perfect aesthetic for the theme I want to have, and it's got a good price tag. The only problem is that I realized tonight, while looking at it more closely, that the venue is at 7,500 ft elevation. I'm in Colorado, so that won't be so bad for me, but the vast majority of our invited guests are from the east coast, and live at sea level. I'm worried that the elevation might be too much for them, and they'll either get altitude sickness, or pass out. Is it worth it to go with a venue that I love even though my guests might not take to the altitude very well? Or should I look again and try to find something a little lower in elevation?

17 Comments

• Samantha
    Expert October 2019
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    If its the venue you want then go for it! I would definitely inform your guests somehow about the elevation though. Maybe on your wedding website or on an accommodations card that will go out with your invites.
  • Sexypoodle
    VIP October 2020
    Sexypoodle ·
    • Flag
    I agree with adding the altitude information in a variety of areas. Being from SoCal, the altitude would be a concern for me and a big determining factor as to whether I attend or not. So, I’d appreciate knowing that info ahead of time.
  • Jeanie
    Rockstar February 2020
    Jeanie ·
    • Flag
    I think you should go with the venue you love. However, as someone who’s lived at sea level their whole life, just telling me that the elevation is high would mean nothing to me. Since you’re thinking of it, it must be a legit concern. I know of elevation sickness but would need more information of how to avoid it or treat it, if you can. I would just put that info out there for your low laying friends and family so they can prepare.
  • Tiffany
    February 2021
    Tiffany ·
    • Flag
    Go with the venue you love. Just put on the invitation that guests need to drink plenty of water due to the high altitude to prevent illness.
  • Sara
    Super October 2019
    Sara ·
    • Flag

I agree that if it's right for you, you should go for it, but I'd definitely include information about the altitude, and also (maybe on your website, in a FAQs section) include some tips about why the high altitude is worth mentioning, and how to deal with it if you're from somewhere closer to sea level. And then provide plenty of water, advil (if that's appropriate - I'm honestly not positive), etc. to your guests during the wedding.

• Mrs. Sarantos
    Master November 2019
    Mrs. Sarantos ·
    • Flag
    I moved from NC to CO and I’ve traveled back and forth. They’ll be fine.
  • Jen
    Super May 2018
    Jen ·
    • Flag

I went to a wedding in CO last year and I live in NY. The bride and groom just added some info about altitude sickness to their website and carried on as they wanted. Everyone from the east coast (and there were a lot of us!) seemed to follow their tips/hints and was fine for the duration of their wedding. If you love the venue then go for it!

• L
    Dedicated September 2019
    LJ ·
    • Flag
    I live in NJ and travel to CO frequently. I agree with PP that you should advise your guests that altitude sickness is a thing, how to recognize it and what to do if they think it may be happening to them, but don’t let it keep you from having the wedding you want. It’s bad when it happens but I think for the overwhelming majority of people, they maybe need to drink some more water and take some deeper breaths.

Also maybe give them a heads up that their cocktails will hit them harder at altitude or you’ll have a real ****show on your hands 🤣
  • KimandLarry
    Dedicated July 2020
    KimandLarry ·
    • Flag

I'm from Missouri but my daughter has recently moved to Denver. When I go to visit her, I don't really have any problems. And I'm an ex-smoker. I think your guests will be fine as long as you let them know ahead of time.

• Annie
    Dedicated October 2020
    Annie ·
    • Flag
    LOTS OF WATER! If they stay hydrated, they will be fine Smiley smile
  • Erin
    Rockstar July 2021
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks, I hadn’t even thought about putting a disclaimer on the invitations (or somewhere else) till now but it’s actually probably a good idea no matter where I book.
  • Erin
    Rockstar July 2021
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I definitely get that it’s be a concern for people, so I think I’ll put a disclaimer no matter where I book since altitude sickness can strike at mile high as well. Thank you.
  • Erin
    Rockstar July 2021
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    My extended family members don't take the best care of themselves. And I have one aunt who likes to make everything about herself. (She fainted in the hospital while everyone was there to be with my dying grandmother). And I feel like she’s going to pull a similar stunt at my wedding and blame it on the altitude as well. I will definitely find a good way to get the information out as much as I possibly can. Thank you.
  • Erin
    Rockstar July 2021
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks. I’m probably going to have to end up shoving water down people’s throats cause my extended family hates following directions xD
  • Erin
    Rockstar July 2021
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That was my 1st thought “well that’s one way to save money on alcohol” xD my family are mostly very good at grabbing attention, and I fully expect at least one aunt to “pass out” so everyone pays attention to her. It should be fun haha.
  • Dayna
    Devoted March 2021
    Dayna ·
    • Flag

I think its awesome that you even thought of the potential issue for your guests. Agree with PPs, I would stick with the venue you love and just make sure to provide information to your guests. Include a card or info on your wedding website about altitude sickness, and see if you can get a room block with a discounted rate for the night before your wedding. That might encourage guests to travel a day early and adjust.

• Erin
    Rockstar July 2021
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    My FH likes the venue pictures and information too, so we’re going to tour it in November! Smiley laugh I’m so excited!

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics