We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Ally
Savvy June 2020

Help!

Ally, on March 11, 2020 at 8:08 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 10
Saved Save
My FH’s grandma gave me a set of cake cutting/serving utensils for the wedding that belonged to his great grandma. It means so much that she gave them to me and on the spot I didn’t know what to say so i just said I’d use them and thanked her but I’ve already bought a set months ago that I love and that match our theme and I bought them too long ago to return them. What should I do?

10 Comments

Latest activity by Melle, on March 11, 2020 at 10:56 AM
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    Is it important to your FH to use them? With something as small as a cake cutting set, I think the sentiment is more important than the fact that they don’t fit your theme. If you don’t want to use the gifted set, maybe you could put it on display?
  • Kate
    Expert October 2020
    Kate ·
    • Flag

So maybe just use the cake cutter his Grandma gave you to cut your cake but leave the ones you love out on display. That way when the photographer takes their pre-cake cut shots, they'll be in the photos

• Katie
    Devoted March 2019
    Katie ·
    • Flag

I agree with PP, for me the sentiment would be more important, but that's a very personal decision between you and FH! If you end up not using the cake cutting set that you bought, then you're already ahead of the game if you have other friends/family who get married in the future who may appreciate them as a gift or you can always keep them for yourself either as a wedding memento or for entertaining in the future!

• Ally
    Savvy June 2020
    Ally ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    He doesn’t really care but that’s what I’m thinking. My friends told me it’s my wedding and to not feel pressured to use something I don’t love but I don’t feel like anyone will ever notice it and it has sentimental value.
  • Ally
    Savvy June 2020
    Ally ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That’s a great idea!
  • Samantha
    VIP October 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    I agree with PP that the sentiment is more important than the theme. I think photographing your original set is a great compromise though. Is this important to your FS? If it’s important to them and a minor inconvenience to you, you should let it slide.
  • Taylor
    VIP October 2020
    Taylor ·
    • Flag

This is definitely not something guests would notice but it IS something grandma would notice. She made a sentimental gesture. I would definitely use the ones she gave yall.

• Kristen
    Master November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag

I would use it for the wedding if it means a lot to her. Honestly no one will notice or pay attention to that. If you want to have the set you bought for the pics then use hers that may be a happy medium.

• Kelsi
    Expert June 2020
    Kelsi ·
    • Flag

Will it upset your future in laws to not use them? If so, is using your set worth upsetting them? Personally, if it meant a lot to my in laws, something like this I would let go.

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I like pp suggestion of having it on display or maybe using it and having your other set as display

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics