Just Said Yes September 2020

Help! Which size?

, on February 12, 2020 at 10:32 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 8
Saved Save
I've tried on my dress and I am in between 2 sizes.

The size 10 fits just a tad snug in the waist (but could be worn as is all day, especially if it loosened up even just a little) and can be let out, straps would need to be shortened and cups adjusted

The size 12 is a little loose everywhere, and would need to be taken in, and also straps and cups adjusted

Is it easier to take in or let out a dress?

Obviously the plan would be to lose weight, wedding is in Sept and tailor said we could start altering around May/June so I have time

Which size should I go with?

Is it too soon to purchase the dress now?

I don't have much room in my tiny cottage for storage, but don't want to risk losing my dream dress

It's from BHLDN so not sure how often they go out of stock

8 Comments

• Amber
    Rockstar February 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag

It's generally easier to take in a dress than to let one out. While weight loss is often a goal, life happens and it may not happen. Or if it does, it may not happen the way you expect it to (bodies are weird, they lose weight all kinds of ways). I would get the size up. Now is the perfect time to order your dress.

• Alexis
    Savvy October 2020
    Alexis ·
    • Flag
    I was in a very similar situation between a 12 and a 14. The 12 would need straps shortened and cups added/adjusted, fit well at the waist but was pretty sung in the hips/booty area. It was also a sample which the consultant explained would be looser than a brand new dress. I was not able to try the 14. I want to drop about 10 pounds, but based on the manufacturers measurements and advice from the consultant went with the 14 because as others have said it’s easier to take in. I am little worried about the top being way too big, but it’s a mermaid and sitting would have been difficult in the 12 maybe even after losing weight. Anyway, I’d go with the larger size just to be safe.
  • Julie
    Super February 2020
    Julie ·
    • Flag
    Get the bigger size. I'm glad I did. I was between sizes as well. Always easier to take in, especially with bhldn and david's, since they don't have the same seam allowance the more expensive designers do.
  • Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly Online ·
    • Flag
    It’s definitely easier to take in a dress! Is this based on trying on sample dresses or measurements? Because sample dresses are usually pretty stretched out!
  • Meghan
    Rockstar October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

Get the bigger size! It is way easier to have a dress taken in than let out! Some seamstresses won't even let dresses out depending on how the dress is made.

• Cortney
    Devoted August 2020
    Cortney ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

It really does depend on the designer/brand. I tried on a size that fit well but by the measurements in the book I should have gotten 2 sizes larger! My consultant looked at the seams and determined that the areas that were a bit tight could be let out, if needed. This was a Casablanca, so I guess they typically have plenty of extra fabric to do so. I'm not familiar with BHLDN.

• Taylor
    VIP October 2020
    Taylor ·
    • Flag

This is what happened to me as well. I was on track for an 8 in the hips/ bust area and a half inch over in the waist. The salon told me to size up with a 10 for this reason. I was really on the fence about it too but I went with their recommendation.

• Cristina
    Devoted October 2020
    Cristina ·
    • Flag

I also had this issue between a 10 and 12. I was a 10 everywhere except for my hip area. They actually told me to do a size 10 because otherwise the alterations cost would be more to take in a 12 everywhere and it would be basically like I'm altering back to a 10. My first alteration appt isn't until July so I still have time to try and continue working out but they said it wouldn't be a problem to let it out in the hip area because of the material underneath. I would definitely ask the bridal store what they suggest.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics