We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Elmarose
Expert July 2021

Help! Siblings and Friends in bridal party!

Elmarose, on June 16, 2020 at 11:44 AM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 9
Saved Save

We have a 300+ guest count.

Did you have siblings as your bridal/ groom party? Or is it okay to not include them? I’m torn between having too many bridesmaids and groomsmen because we included between 3-4 friends and the rest were siblings. I don’t want our closest friends/family to think they are not as important as they are to us.

What should we do? Are there other ways to include your friends in your wedding? Please let me know how you incorporated siblings/family/friends in your bridal party!

9 Comments

Latest activity by Anna, on June 24, 2020 at 12:37 AM
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

You don't "have to" include anyone. We chose the people that we were closest to, it didn't matter if they were our siblings or not. Out of our 3 collective siblings, one was in our wedding.

• Emma
    Super October 2020
    Emma ·
    • Flag
    I’m only have one sister as a bridesmaid. The other 2 I’m not as close with as I didn’t really grow up with them (one lived with her mother the other is 18 years older then me) my little brother is a back up groomsmen because we haven’t heard a for sure gonna be here back from my FHs brother
  • Kerin
    Super February 2021
    Kerin ·
    • Flag

You don't have to include anyone you don't want to! FH isn't including his sisters, but asked my brother to be a groomsman and I'm having my sister as a bridesmaid.

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag

I didn't. i just had my brother and his wife walk in the processional the way parents do but i didn't have them directly in our wedding parties

• M
    Dedicated October 2021
    Megan ·
    • Flag

You're not obligated to include anyone in your wedding party. That being said, 100% only pick people you feel close with to be in your party.

For reference, I'm rockin' a large wedding party. I have 8 gals and 2 guys on my side, my FH has 7 guys. We included all (full) siblings, minus my much-older half brother, as we're all close. My sister and brother on my side, his brother on his side. My sister and his brother are MOH and Best Man.

• V
    Master July 2019
    Veronica Online ·
    • Flag

You can have anyone you want. My bridesmaids/bride's man were my sister, my brother, my brother's wife, my husband's sister and one of my friends. My husband's groomsmen/groomswoman were my husband's male best friend, his younger brother, his female best friend and two of his other friends. Our two flower girls, one ringer bearer and one usher were my husband's older brother's children. His old brother wasn't in the wedding. My husband realized after the fact that his older brother was the only sibling not in the wedding. His sister wouldn't have been if I didn't want her to be a bridesmaid, but her and I are really close so I wanted her to a bridesmaid.

• Cordelia
    Savvy October 2020
    Cordelia ·
    • Flag
    We are only having bridesmaids for our wedding and have my youngest brother as our ring bearer. If my sister was still alive, she’d be my MOH but my other two brothers are just handing out the programs and directing to tables(: you don’t have to put them in if you don’t want to!
  • Elmarose
    Expert July 2021
    Elmarose ·
    • Flag

Thank you all very much for your advice!

• Anna
    VIP October 2020
    Anna ·
    • Flag

I agree with the others that you don’t have to include anyone. Obviously we include people because we want them there and to be a part, but also just being a guest is an honored role. It’s been my experience as a guest that we were charged to not only be a witness in this moment, but to be there for the couple through the years, to encourage them and continue to love and support them to cherish each other.

I can’t tell you what to do, but I can say what I did. I only have a brother, no sister. My FH has a brother and a sister but sister lives 10 hours away. Also, this is his second marriage and he feels like she won’t travel down. He’s not close with either of his siblings. But even without saying that, my FH and I discussed and decided that those we chose to be our attendants, we wanted them to hold the same value/views/beliefs about marriage and Christ. Also I didn’t want to pick a bunch of girls, so I went with 2 of my oldest friends and a relative. although she’s a distant cousin, she and I have grown close over the years through our church involvement.

If there are people you would like involved without adding more attendees, you can always ask someone to be day of coordinator, to hand out programs or greet people as they come in, guys could be ushers and seat each guest, they can also be the ones to seat the mothers or grandmothers.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics