Emma
Devoted March 2021

Hawaii Honeymoon

Emma, on February 27, 2020 at 3:21 PM Posted in Honeymoon 0 11
Saved

We finally decided we are going to Hawaii for our honeymoon. We are going to Oahu!

My big question is do we rent a car or just Uber the whole time? At this point we are planning on staying right in Honolulu and doing stuff around there. We're trying to keep costs low, but I worry we will end up spending the same amount with much less freedom.

Also, please feel free to offer any suggestions for the trip!

11 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on March 3, 2020 at 1:44 PM
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    Renting a car would be SUPER helpful! For me I Lyft and bus and walked the entire time there but I only did that cause I had 50% off all ride promo otherwise it would have been better to rent car
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I also want to say that it’s helpful for if you want to go to north shore area since it’s further away from the more city center.
  • Lisa
    Expert October 2021
    Lisa ·
    • Flag

You may also want to consider traffic, which there is a lot of! I'm not sure but I think Uber/Lyft charge for time as well as distance (I could be wrong - I've only used the service once or twice). It may be worth it for your own rental.

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

We rented a car, we went to Maui for 3 nights and Oahu for 4 nights. Both islands we had a rental car. We REALLY needed one in Oahu because we did so much driving. We stayed at Ko Olina for two nights and that drive was about 30 minutes from the airport with traffic. Then we drove to Kualoa Ranch one day (about an hour there) for an ATV tour. We spent two nights on the North Shore so that was another hour drive. Then about 1.5 hour back to the airport on our last day. Ubers would have been super expensive. We rented a really small sedan through Costco Travel.

• Emily
    Super August 2020
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    I’d probably rent a car! We didn’t but we were only there a few days. You can Uber locally but there is a lot of activities of the other side of the island, approx an hour or so drive.
  • Ally
    Dedicated June 2021
    Ally ·
    • Flag
    If you truly plan to stay in Honolulu then it might be okay to just use Lyft/Uber. I’ve never been there so I’m really not sure what’s there and how far away different things are. But the cost can add up. I like using Lyft for times when we want to go out and not have to worry about driving, but it’s nice to have your own way around during the day. I always feel more comfortable knowing we have a vehicle.
  • KYLIE
    Super May 2019
    KYLIE ·
    • Flag
    Are you staying in downtown Honolulu or Waikiki? Those are very different areas, with more of the touristy stuff being in Waikiki. If you plan to mostly lay on the beach, you probably won’t need a car. But the best parts of Oahu are the most accessible by car. While you may be able to get an Uber/Lyft to the North Shore and other areas, getting back will be tricky.
    Parking at Hawaiian resorts is pricey, but I think the flexibility of having a car is best.
  • C
    Super December 2021
    Casey ·
    • Flag
    Rent!! My fiance and I just went to Hawaii and honestly had we used Uber/Lyft we would've had so many issues. Like driving to a restaurant and realizing we didn't really want to eat there- we would've needed to pay for another ride, wait, and tip again or get stuck eating there and being unhappy about it.
  • Amy Louise
    Savvy June 2020
    Amy Louise ·
    • Flag

We are going to Hawaii as well! Renting seems like the best option. We did research to find the best prices and got a pretty good deal. Enjoy Hawaii!!

• Jennifer
    Super March 2020
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag
    Everything in Waikiki is within walking distance. If you only stay in this area then you will most definitely miss what Hawaii culture really is. You should visit Kailua, Lanaiki, and the North Shore. Those are across the island and therefore a car would be necessary. Also, if you drive the east side of the island it is gorgeous and has many stopping points. This is something that can be done with a tour guide but the drive is so easy. Aslo hiking, there are some gorgeous bikes and again, they don't start right in the downtown area. Get a car, you will be happier.
  • Erin
    Dedicated August 2020
    Erin ·
    • Flag

We're also going to Oahu for our honeymoon and staying in the Honolulu/Waikiki area. With the exception of a day trip, we will not be renting a car. It's too expensive for our budget especially when we factored in the parking fees and gas costs (PS: its like $5.00+ a gallon!) Our plan is to use Lyft and the bus system in Honolulu. For $10/day for the two of us, we will be able to get around just about everywhere we need to go, including Diamond Head and Pearl Harbor.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics