I am currently (and have been for the past year) planning a destination wedding for Maui Hawaii on 10/10/2020. I’m wondering if anyone else has plans for a destination wedding in Hawaii (or anywhere) this fall? What are your plans due to COVID-19?
We are still going to our July wedding renewal in Oahu, but it’s just us and our kids. I have waited for more than 2 decades for dh to ask me for a renewal because we only eloped due to pregnancy back then. Even if he had the money back in 1997-1998, we couldn’t have a wedding due to major financial crisis in SouthEast Asia, which resulted in a terrible riot. Now that dh went 2x on his knees, and we have enough saving, this covid happens! Don’t even ask how I feel when everytime I dream of a wedding a very terrible event is happening, and everytime involves people dying, and every time people had to stay home due to fear. We have a special date that means a lot to us, and if that can’t happen I don’t feel like having a wedding anymore. I will pack everything away, build a she shed and spend time alone for months with books and food and loud music. I am not excited preparing my wedding anymore. My mood is going up and down lately.
View Quoted Comment
Thank you for your input! I hope you are able to go and enjoy the day you have been planning & deserve! Sounds like the 2 of you have such a special love that I’m sure even with everything going on the day will be perfect for you both. This is definitely a bump in the road that I was not prepared for, but am trying to stay hopeful.
View Quoted Comment
We did. We got engaged back in March of 2019 so we booked everything pretty early on. We do have a plan B, but it is only if we are not able to travel to Hawaii. Hoping it doesn’t come down to that, but trying to stay positive!
I also have a destination wedding. November 4th, Jamaica.
To be honest I am just trying to stay hopeful, but I am slowly coming to terms with the chance we may need to reschedule. I am waiting until July.1st to make that decision. If quarantine restrictions don’t get lifted, then I can’t risk a 4 week quarantine (2 weeks on arrival and returning home to Canada) for an international flight, and waiting too long to reschedule will greatly reduce my options next year.
However, you are not doing an international flight. If mine didn’t involve international travel, I would wait until mid August maybe. July should show a lot in terms of flights resuming and when....at least I hope!
View Quoted Comment
That’s all we can hope for now. They extended the stay home order from May 30th to June 30th. We only deposit to secure our date, time, and location, but we have to pay our venue 100% 30 days before the date. That worries me a lot.
I’m a little worried about our March 2021 plans for Kauai, but I feel like I heard Hawaii might be lifting it’s quarantine at the end of June. (Don’t quote me on that but maybe keep an eye out). Hopefully all our plans will happen!
I have a destination wedding planned for November 28th and we haven’t officially cancelled but have pretty much accepted that isn’t happening and are working on a plan b with 10-15 people in our hometown. Even if we were comfortable with travel at that point, I don’t think all of our guests would be. That coupled with the additional costs for guests when a lot of people have lost their jobs. These are some of the main things we considered!
I live on Oahu and am getting married in October. Now no venues are even allowed to open. We have a mandatory 14 day quarantine in affect that is scheduled to June 30th. I highly suspect that quarantine will be lasting at least a few months longer than that. Hawai’i is moving very slowly through reopening and I am fairly certain I will need to cancel my wedding because of the quarantine.
We're planning our destination wedding for 10/10 in the Keys. I feel like Hawaii (like FL) are on the road to recovery. I actually just spoke to a co-worker yesterday who said his first "fun" trip after this Covid will be to Hawaii in July. He spoke of Hawaii putting measures in place to ensure the safety of everyone beginning in July. You'll likely be subject to Temperature screenings upon arrival, but as long as your healthy, you'll be good (If you're not, they will do one of two things - Quarantine you for 14-days or send you back)... Stay safe and stay healthy.
As for our wedding, the Keys are reopening on June 1st. So, just have to remain positive and hope for the best.
We are getting married with "Weddings of Hawaii" in Oahu in November. Some of my guests have tried to book hotels but have been weary because all hotels state that there is a mandatory 14 day quarantine. This quarantine was originally supposed to end May 31 but has been extended to June 30. I worry like a previous poster that this will be extended again.
I contacted my vendor and they reassured me that things will "likely" be opened back up but stated that they have relaxed their rescheduling policy and that we may reschedule at no additional charge up to 2 years past our original date.
I am concerned that we may have to take them up on that offer. We will be making a decision in August.
My wedding is 11/20/20 on the Big Island & I’m considering postponing to summer 2021. Yes, there is a 14-day quarantine in place, but the Governor is only looking to lift inter-island travel at this time. The 14-day quarantine for inbound flights will most likely be in place well into July. I read that they are going to pilot a travel bubble with Japan, Australia & New Zealand because their COVID cases are low; I suspect this will start sometime in July/August. If all goes well, they’ll start opening up travel from the mainland US. To me- there’s still 2 things to consider: 1) We may ave an influx of cases come fall (warranting potential travel ban) 2) will social gatherings even be allowed. I’m not sure how big your wedding is, but mine is 100+ & I don’t see that happening anytime soon. You might be able to hold out to make a decision later, but for me It’s hard to enjoy planning right now with everything in limbo. I personally may postpone just to give myself and everyone else a peace of mind.
My wedding was supposed to by July 17 in Albany NY and Oahu honeymoon after. When July 17 got postponed to Dec. 17, we decided to still go on our honeymoon and get married there, just in case Dec. 17 fell through. We're calling it our "minimony" (mini-ceremony).
When the 14 day quarantine was delayed to end of June, we postponed our "honeymoon/minimony" to Sept 17 optimistic it wouldn't go past June 30. We didn't expect guests but welcomed immediate family and wedding party. So far, my fiancee's immediate family (5 total) committed to going and booked.
I started following Hawaii News Now on social and we are watching Governor Ige's press conferences a few nights a week. We are finding that is making us feel a little more "updated". For example, I think on May 28 we learned that the Governor will extend the 14 day quarantine past June 30, but he didn't detail when.
We are using Weddings of Hawaii too, but haven't yet started depending on them for information update.
If we can't go for September 17, I don't think we'll be able to afford hotel rates again until middle or late Spring.
We are supposed to be having our wedding on Oahu on September 22nd. I hate to be so negative but I’m starting to lose hope Governor Ige just today extended traveler quarantine until July 31st. Having a hard time deciding if we should keep holding on, or if we should push back. We are on a time constraint too of course, because my FH will likely start police academy in January. Thinking of moving the wedding to December but also nervous of a second wave of coronavirus that could cause another shut down.
I’m sorry you’re in the same boat! This is hard and I feel like I’ve got no idea what to do. Hahaha!