Lindsey
Just Said Yes July 2019

Hair strengthener

Lindsey, on June 5, 2019 at 1:36 PM Posted in Hair and Makeup 0 21
Saved Save

Hi everyone! I'm about 5 weeks away from my wedding day and was wondering if there are any products or general tips on how to strengthen my hair. My hair is decently thick but I put it up in a pony tail for work a lot, and the strands tend to break so I have little "baby" hairs that hang around my face. I'm trying to wear my hair down more frequently, but it is not always possible at my job (nurse). Any tips on how to keep my hair from breaking?

21 Comments

• Jennifer
    Expert October 2019
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag
    Pull it back in a French braid and then make the tail into a bun. That pulls less on your scalp, but still keeps all your hair contained. You can take Biotin and use strengthening shampoos, but you probably won't see a ton of change in only five weeks. It's better than nothing, though.
  • Michele
    Beginner October 2020
    Michele ·
    • Flag

Ive been doing the whole prenatal vitamin route and its worked out pretty well. Maybe not in the 5 weeks your looking for, but I have noticed my hair and nails are both stronger lately.

• Jessica
    VIP June 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag

I was told by my hair dresser to use a scrunchy or braid my hair so it wont break and to use conditioning treatment instead of conditioner, it seems to be helping a lot. I also use biotin.

• Formerbride
    VIP June 2019
    Formerbride ·
    • Flag
    I second the scrunchie. Also, sleep on a satin/silk pillow case.
  • Grace
    Dedicated November 2019
    Grace ·
    • Flag
    I use a heavier conditioner and leave it on my ends while I shave and stuff. And then I use Argan oil and the it’s a 10 leave in conditioner when I get out of the shower!
  • Gen
    Master June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    Try Prose shampoo and conditioner! They ask you questions about your hair type and send custom shampoo and conditioner. I have very thick and oily hair so I felt like regular shampoo never fully got my hair clean! Prose is great for people who have very specific hair problems like that lol because they’ll tailor it to exactly what you need to make your hair healthy Smiley smile
  • Kelly
    Super October 2019
    Kelly ·
    • Flag

Go to Sally's and grab protein (it's a little pouch). It works so well, and really helps your hair from breaking.

• Lindsey
    Just Said Yes July 2019
    Lindsey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you! I will definitely braid it more. I have been trying biotin but haven't seen much difference, I'll keep at it!

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

I would use softer hair ties, they sell a ton of thicker ones that are softer and don't pull as much as traditional hair ties. I'd also start using a good shampoo & conditioner, and a strong leave in conditioner. I'd use a wet brush, or a wide tooth comb, to brush your hair instead of a traditional brush. If you put it up in a towel after you wash it, don't use a traditional bath towel. Use a t-shirt or something softer (they make special microfiber cloths for that) so that doesn't pull your hair. I'd suggest taking biotin as a supplement, but if you haven't taken it before I wouldn't try it now. If you can, avoid using a straightener or curling iron or super hot hair dryer for now and don't take SUPER hot showers. I'd also sleep on a silk pillowcase (you can get them on Amazon). I've been using Ovation Cell Therapy for the past year and it's INSANE how much better my hair has been. I'm not sure what it will do in 5 weeks, but regardless getting a high quality shampoo and conditioner will really help.

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I used to use that after I bleached my hair, it worked great! The only thing I'd say is don't use it if your hair feels tough or hard, that generally means it has too much protein and needs moisture. But limp, stringy hair for sure would benefit from that protein mask!

• Lindsey
    Just Said Yes July 2019
    Lindsey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I've heard good things about the argon oil, I think I better try it, thanks!

• Lindsey
    Just Said Yes July 2019
    Lindsey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you! I'm taking notes Smiley smile I can try the majority of those. I do put my hair up in a towel after a shower, I didn't even think about that

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yeah it just tends to pull your hair a little more than other towels! Ulta sells a hair drying towel for like $10 I think or maybe less! I just bleached my hair forever so I had super weak hair for a long time.

• Lauren
    VIP February 2020
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

I have very thin hair that used to have a ton of breakage from straightening it so much without heat protectant. One of my hair dresser friends suggested "It's a 10" leave in conditioner a few years ago, and it's helped so much! I have a lot less breakage and a lot of the hairs that were super short from breaking off have grown out a lot. I, also, use a split end repair treatment on my ends that my current hairdresser suggested. I believe it's by Pureology, but I could be wrong. Both of those have helped so much!

• Iva
    Super September 2019
    Iva ·
    • Flag
    You won’t see any change in your hair in 5 weeks (hair growth cycle is 3-4 months). It sounds like your damage is mostly mechanical, from high ponytail or pulling hair too tight. Braiding, low pony tail, scrunchy or any softer hair ties, as well as using conditioner or leave in conditioner before brushing your hair, using good brush or comb on wet hair (wide tooth etc) will help with this.

Nothing you put on your hair at home actually penetrates hair to make it stronger. So forget about applying topical proteins or other marketing nonsense - it does nothing (I’ve worked in hair product R&D for 7 years). All you need is a good conditioner (rinse off and/or leave in) so your hair doesn’t tangle or break easily when you brush it & heat protecting product if you are using heat styling tools (hairdryer on high setting, flat iron, or curling iron) because these damage hair cuticle & cause breakage. If you have thinner or normal thick hair (not coarse or very curly) try Pureology Colorfanatic leave in (it’s not just for colored hair).

If you color your hair, ask your stylist about Olaplex or LOreal Smartbond. It’s a treatment that actually strengthens hair bonds from within during chemical processing.

If you have a problem with hair not growing as much or falling out more then you can try Kerastase Densifique (it shortens dormant state of hair fibers so they grow faster) or topical Rogain (yes it’s for women too & it works). These two are tested & proven for efficacy.
  • Tris
    Expert August 2019
    Tris ·
    • Flag
    Leave in conditioner, and a heat protector if you curl or blow-dry . A good hair mask every now and then too. I like shea moisture Jamaican black castor oil strengthen and restore.
  • S
    Devoted September 2019
    Sara ·
    • Flag
    Seconding Olaplex. It’s a “bond builder” and can help repair damage. It’s often used when people are lightening/bleaching their hair significantly, which usually weakens hair.
  • Hermione
    Devoted February 2020
    Hermione ·
    • Flag
    Alberto Vo5 leave in conditioner and change the way your hair is tied back. Available every where and usually in the ethic hair products section.

https://www.influenster.com/reviews/alberto-vo5-conditioning-hairdressing-normaldry-hair

You can't really repair damage at home. Even in a salon that's near impossible. You just need to change your styling methods.
  • Robert
    Dedicated October 2020
    Robert ·
    • Flag

What are you using to dry your hair? Towels can pull at hair and cause breakage, and hairdryers can cause it to become more brittle. Try a microfibre towel (the kind you bring to the gym!). I use one and my (long and heavy) hair hasn't had nearly as much breakage or flyaways since getting it. Trying to 'fix' your hair is difficult in such little time, but you can definitely tame what's there!

As others have said, protein shampoo and leave-in conditioners or serums all make a big difference too Smiley smile Visual differences will happen way more quickly than changes in hair growth-- so you can have it feeling smoother and less brittle long before you'd expect permanent change.

• Lindsey
    Just Said Yes July 2019
    Lindsey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you for the advice! I dont use a hair dryer but I have been using a towel, I'll have to switch!

Comment on this discussion