Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Just Said Yes November 2022

Guest list

Scott, on June 9, 2022 at 6:22 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 13
We are having a small ceremony and an open reception but I was wondering if we should still send out actual invitations for the reception to the people that we want there?

13 Comments

Latest activity by Michelle, on June 16, 2022 at 4:42 PM
  • Imani
    Rockstar July 2022
    Imani ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    Are you sending our invitations?
  • Imani
    Rockstar July 2022
    Imani ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    Sorry, I meant to ask are you sending out Save the Dates.
  • S
    Scott ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment
    No, we were not planning on sending out save the dates
  • Jasmine S.
    Rockstar May 2022
    Jasmine S. ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    "Open reception" meaning anyone can come? I would advise against this as you might get people who will cause trouble. But definitely send the info to people you want to come, or else they won't know when and where to go!
  • S
    Scott ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh we’re not renting out the bar or anything, that’s just where we will be
  • Imani
    Rockstar July 2022
    Imani ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment
    When you say small ceremony does that mean you’re not inviting everyone to the reception & ceremony? By small, how many guest are you considering? I would probably still do a simple invitation to the people you want at the reception and maybe you all can send them out via text just depending on the guest count.
  • Jasmine S.
    Rockstar May 2022
    Jasmine S. ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment
    That makes sense. So like an after-party. You could totally send an email to friends that says something like "Please join us for refreshments after the ceremony at _____."
  • D
    Dedicated July 2022
    Danielle ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    I think that sounds like a great idea! Wouldn’t hurt to send some information to desired attendees - what time? Where? It could be a text, email, etc.
  • T
    Dedicated July 2017
    ti ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Forgive the slightly morbid connotations of my response but this reminds me of how wakes work after funerals (at least here in the UK!). You just set up camp in a pub or some other location and let everyone know where you'll be.

I would personally recommend reaching out to people you really want to come to let them know where you'll be and to show that you'd like them to join you if they can, even if its just an information message/email!

• Sloane
    Rockstar May 2022
    Sloane ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    I would definitely send Save the Dates. The concept of open reception is not common in US but in my culture it is as well as others. However, in this case as a precaution you may want to consider invites.
  • Jacks
    Champion November 2054
    Jacks ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

I think I'm confused. You're having a ceremony, then a dinner, then an "open" reception? I'm just wondering because open receptions aren't that common in the US/Canada at least.

• Mrs.evans
    Rockstar October 2022
    Mrs.evans ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    Yes you still should send out invites it's still a event that you want people to attend.
  • Michelle
    Rockstar December 2022
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    Definitely send a save the date over the phone and physical invites to anyone you want to attend. Otherwise they will not have the information.

The only time I have heard of an open reception is when the ceremony is open to the entire congregation of a house of worship with a cake reception for everyone immediately following. While they are the new trend post-Covid, it is pretty rare and confusing for guests to be invited to a reception only. Especially if it is immediately following the ceremony as they typically do. A reception on another day goes against standard etiquette. Also, many guests don’t feel comfortable or welcome not being invited to the ceremony and cost is not a factor as you are not charged per person at the ceremony. Do what works for you but be aware that you may hurt feelings of loved ones.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics