A
Beginner August 2017

Guest Greeting Advice

AJ, on June 30, 2017 at 8:06 PM

Posted in Etiquette and Advice 21

I've seen a lot of posts about receiving lines vs. table visits, and I'm wondering if anyone has any alternate advice. My mother controlled the guest list since she's paying for the wedding and our guest list is likely going to consist of 350 guests, many of whom I've never met. Our wedding &...

I've seen a lot of posts about receiving lines vs. table visits, and I'm wondering if anyone has any alternate advice. My mother controlled the guest list since she's paying for the wedding and our guest list is likely going to consist of 350 guests, many of whom I've never met.

Our wedding & reception will be at the same venue (one inside, one outside) and we will not be having a cocktail hour. I've seen family and friends spend all of their time doing table visits and were not able to enjoy the wedding they've worked so hard to plan. While I'd like to say hello to everyone, I'm doubtful that this is possible. I'd also like to have time to enjoy our reception and spend time with friends and family on the dance floor.

Does anyone have any advice on how to find a compromise that won't upset those who get upset if the bride & groom aren't able to talk to them? Thanks!!

21 Comments

• M
    Dedicated August 2017
    Maggie ·
    • Flag

@AJ, my FH and I are having about 150 guests at our wedding. Everything is being done at the venue. We are not doing first looks. Since we are paying for everything ourselves we want to enjoy our wedding. Yes proper etiquette is to go and personally greet your guests but I'm sorry the weddings that I have recently attended or been part of the B&G make a speech and I haven't heard one complaint on how rude it was that they didn't walk around. So in that sense after our ceremony we are not doing a receiving line but going straight to pics and attend the cocktail hour for the last 15min. When working on our seating chart we are going to sit family and friends who came from out of state closer to the sweetheart table as well as our elderly family. So at least we will go to those tables. But we aren't walking around 15 tables and not enjoying our reception. We will say a nice thank you speech plus we have tons of cool stuff planned for our guests to show our appreciation. So I feel that you do what you want to do. I have discussed with my planner who has been in the wedding business for over 20 years and she agrees with me perfectly.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics