Jessica
Beginner March 2020

Guest Book Verbiage

Jessica, on January 11, 2020 at 2:38 PM Posted in Family and Relationships 0 20
Saved

So my fiance and I decided to go nontraditional with our guest book. We found a vendor on Etsy that makes signs with our last name in the middle and people can sign the wood around the last name. It says Est and then the date of the wedding at the bottom.

My fiance has two kids already and so I feel awkward putting The Johnsons and then an "established date". Because they were established as a family before he met me and then I came into the picture. So I am joining his family that has already been established? I know he and I are established on our wedding date, but "The Johnsons" have already been a family before I came along. I am trying to be sensitive to his kids. Any thoughts on alternative ways to look at this or word it?

Thanks in advance Smiley smile

Jessica

20 Comments

Latest activity by Jessica, on January 20, 2020 at 8:32 AM
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    You should put your wedding year. If you had a child with your FH in 2019 and got married in 2020, you would still put 2020 on the sign. It’s great that you’re being cautious of your soon to be step children, but I think you’re putting more thought into it than they ever will.
  • Jessica
    Beginner March 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I think I am not only thinking of what the kids would think, but also the future mother in law Smiley winking

I know we are getting married in 2020, but I am like...The Johnsons were established as a family before? So idk... I guess I will just have to think more about it. I overanalyze things...but I know I am not the only one in the soon to be fam who may think about it. Smiley smile

• Neeva
    VIP September 2020
    Neeva ·
    • Flag

Instead of putting established ask if you can customize and just write the Johnsons and then your wedding date.

• Jessica
    Beginner March 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That’s a good idea I think I’ll just put the date. Because it is the date we all became a family together. But I don’t want them feeling like it says I had anything to establish them. Idk...because I’m joining their already established family 😊 I guess it’s complete with their Dad not being single anymore. We’ve been together for a couple years so I think just having the wedding date would be nice. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Sexypoodle
    Master October 2021
    Sexypoodle ·
    • Flag
    You’re thinking too deeply. The “established” date is your wedding date. It’s the date when you two established your marriage.
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    Can you ask if they can take out the “est” and just put your wedding date?
  • Jessica
    Beginner March 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thanks for the replies... I'm trying to be thoughtful of my future step kids. They are very sensitive and I feel it is important to think the verbiage through as it will be hanging in our home with them Smiley smile

I actually called my fiance and his kiddos just a bit ago and we talked about different ideas. They understood where I was coming from and we agreed to put "Brought together on 3.21.20" so that is what we will order it with. It includes the kids and can reference us as a married couple as well.

Thanks again for all of the responses!

Jessica

• Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Love that!
  • Jessica
    Beginner March 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks! My soon to be step daughter thought of that and she is 12! 😊 Kids are the best. Hehe.
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Aww that makes it even sweeter!
  • Stephanie
    Dedicated October 2020
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    I’m getting one of those signs too and we just have our first names with the date that might work for you more!
  • Jeanette
    Expert July 2022
    Jeanette ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Awwww "brought together" that is so sweet. Smiley heart I'm glad you discussed it with them. This will make it an even more meaningful touch.

Enjoy your March wedding!

• Catherine
    VIP November 2019
    Catherine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

What a wonderful idea!! Smiley smile

• Ashley
    Savvy September 2020
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I love that! It is very sweet that you are being so thoughtful of your future step-children's feelings Smiley heart

• V
    Devoted August 2020
    Valerie ·
    • Flag
    Why not put a put names and wedding date? Ex: Bob and Mary, June 2, 2020
  • Jessica
    Beginner March 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks for the suggestions! We decided on how it will look. It will have our family name in the first line... and below it will say, “Brought together 03.21.20” 😊
  • Kari
    Master May 2020
    Kari ·
    • Flag

So glad this worked out for you and you are right, kids are the best.

Sounds like you are bringing together a wonderful family!

• Jessica
    Beginner March 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Aww thank you!!
  • Elizabeth
    Super June 2021
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

I respect you SO much for trying to be sensitive to his kids. You're joining the family, not starting a new one, and that's so important to remember. The kids are lucky to have such a caring step mom!!

I think taking out the "est." and just putting the date is a great idea. Your marriage is a huge moment for the family as a whole and the date is important. I think it's perfectly respectful to celebrate that date while removing the "est."

• Jessica
    Beginner March 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you 😊

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics