We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Katherine
Just Said Yes May 2021

Guest attire

Katherine, on May 25, 2020 at 7:19 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 6
Saved Save
I am planning a DW in a resort in Dominican republic and am super excited about the gorgeousness of how it will all look in my photos.

Yesterday I had 2 guests ask me what they're supposed to wear, one even asked if they were supposed to wear white because they see resort photos with everyone wearing white. While I shut that one down immediately stating I would not want ANYONE wearing white at my wedding, I had no idea what to answer when it comes to what guests wear.
I have only ever been to one wedding that was outdoors in a hot climate, but I have never been one to notice people's clothes and for the life of me, asside from what the couple and the officiant were wearing, I can't remember a single outfit!
I don't want my guests to be sweating and uncomfortable, but I also don't want anyone in shorts.
What do people wear to these things?!?
To the wedding I went, I wore a spaghetti strap long "beachy" dress, so I'm guessing women will have an easier time figuring it out, but I have no clue what men wear. Send help!

6 Comments

Latest activity by Christine, on May 25, 2020 at 11:21 PM
  • Elizabeth
    Super June 2021
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

You don't get to decide what guests wear - you only decide yourselves and the wedding party. I'd just tell them to wear what they want to be comfortable, but please avoid wearing white. You can also advise them on the weather to help guide them, but you really shouldn't give requirements for dress code. It doesn't sound like you intended to, though, so I'd just tell them to be comfy and have fun!

• Michelle
    Expert May 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

Just say the ceremony is beach formal or something. Mine is in Jamaica, and I just put semi causal on the website. It is going to be very hot so I don’t expect any of my guests in pants. I want everyone to be comfortable but I also don’t want everyone in beach clothes lol

• Katherine
    Just Said Yes May 2021
    Katherine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That's great advice! I like the wording "beach formal"
  • Cyndy
    Rockstar May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes I agree with you. I got married on the beach as well and told people the same thing. Most ladies came in sundresses and some guys wore pants with jackets and others wore dress shorts with nice shirts. I wanted them to be comfortable too.
  • Jana
    Rockstar October 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    You don't get to dictate what they wear. Tell them to dress nicely for the beach. So hopefully they translate that to Sunday Best sundresses and khakis.
  • Christine
    Dedicated June 2021
    Christine ·
    • Flag

I've heard both "beach chic" and "country club chic." If you have a wedding website, you can always post photos of ideas about what you're thinking! :-D

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles