Skip to main content
Haley
Expert October 2020

Guest attire

Haley, on November 26, 2019 at 1:09 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 14
Saved

Guest attire 1Guest attire 2 Here are my inspiration pics for the groomsmen.
My FH likes it because he thinks it’s inspired by Johnny Cash haha. The bridesmaids will be in a similar color (Cabernet/Burgundy) to those shown.
So my question is, how does this affect what I should put in the “dress code” section of my website?I originally was just going to have casual or daytime wedding attire requested....BUT now I feel like the wedding party will be way more formal than that.
We are getting married outside and having a rented reception at a winery. The tablecloths are burgundy, napkins ivory, and decor is mixed metals. My “theme” is literary and antique.

14 Comments

Latest activity by Haley, on December 3, 2019 at 12:26 PM
  • Elizabeth
    Dedicated December 2019
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

What time of day is your wedding? People tend to dress more casually the earlier in the day in my opinion. But I think "cocktail" attire should cover it.

• L
    Lady ·
    • Flag

Unless your venue requires a certain dress code or you're having an actual black tie event, I would leave the "dress code" section blank. Adults don't need to be told how to dress i don't think. They'll take cues from the formality of the venue, time of day and invitation!

• Mrs. S
    Master November 2019
    Mrs. S ·
    • Flag
    I didn’t write anything but if ppl asked me i said semi-formal. Everybody ended up pretty much on the same level of dress anyway.
  • Haley
    Expert October 2020
    Haley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

The ceremony will start at 3:00PM !

• Haley
    Expert October 2020
    Haley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

My stepdad would 100% show up to my wedding in a golf shirt and khakis. I feel like that would look really bad in family photos next to my groom and groomsmen in these black suits.

So I feel like I do need to have an answer for this question in case I'm asked.

• Meghan
    Master October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

My wedding was outside at a vineyard. My colors were navy, burnt orange, with gold metals. We got married at 5:30 p.m. We put "cocktail attire". Hope this helps Smiley smile

• Haley
    Expert October 2020
    Haley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

It does thank you!

• Brianna N
    Super October 2019
    Brianna N ·
    • Flag

We did cocktail attire/semi-formal and it looks like that would be good for yours as well!

• Kari
    Master May 2020
    Kari ·
    • Flag

I think its ok if your guests look more casual than your wedding party, and don't think it will look totally out of place if your guests are in lighter daytime colors while your wedding party have a bolder, darker look. I love the colors and theme you've picked out and think they look awesome.

• Haley
    Expert October 2020
    Haley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's refreshing to hear! Thank you!

• Yoice
    VIP March 2019
    Yoice ·
    • Flag
    I would say formal. I used black tie optional for our dress code and then wrote recommendation so I did something like him: suit and tie or bow tie. her: long formal gown. If any part of the wedding takes place in the grass mention it in the website and recommend girls to wear the right shoes or shoes protectors to avoid sinking.
  • L
    Lady ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Then I would just speak to your parents about what they'd like to wear and steer them in a more formal direction. But at the end of the day, they're going to wear what they want.

• A
    Super August 2020
    Alex ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

This is so inaccurate! Weddings can go from causal to cocktail to formal. As a guest, I am uncomfortable if I am under or overdress for an occasion. I think it is rude to not inform guest of the attire.

• Haley
    Expert October 2020
    Haley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I agree..I'd deff want to know.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics