Susan
Beginner September 2020

Grooms cake?

Susan, on August 17, 2019 at 11:05 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 18
Saved
First off, what is it grooms cake and should I order one? Is it to be presented at the wedding with the wedding cake itself or is it a little cake him and his groomsmen share together before the wedding or at the bachelor party? Please let me know

18 Comments

Latest activity by Aleaj, on August 19, 2019 at 5:56 PM
  • Laura
    Master October 2019
    Laura ·
    • Flag

It's generally a more "manly" cake. I've seen them with chocolate frosting with a toy 4-wheeler on top. It's usually decorated with the hobbies and/or interests of the groom. It's at the wedding, usually on the sweets or bread table. My groom doesn't really like cake or i'd have one. I think they're neat!

• Susan
    Beginner September 2020
    Susan ·
    • Flag
    Thanks for your reply!
  • Aleaj
    Expert October 2019
    Aleaj ·
    • Flag
    I had this same question. Lol Most of the time a wedding cake is based on the brides wants. The groomsmen cake is just a fun way to show the grooms interest. They are usually served at the rehearsal dinner. My fiancé was in a frat so his groom cake is going to represent tht but i am serving it at the wedding, with the wedding cake.
  • Monique
    Master December 2019
    Monique ·
    • Flag
    Interesting concept. I may consider getting my fiancé a dragon ball z cake.
  • Colleen
    Master September 2019
    Colleen ·
    • Flag
    Other then in steel magnolias I have not seen a grooms cake. I think it may be cute to do one at rehearsal dinner if you can. In some kind of hobby or thing he likes.
  • Colleen
    Master September 2019
    Colleen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Shaped as beer. My dad was in a Frap. Be prepared he may out party your kids one day lol.
  • earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·
    • Flag

This is a Southern tradition and is served at the wedding. It comes from the time when weddings were usually seen as the "bride's day" and the wedding cake was yellow and/or white cake with white icing. The groom's cake was usually more fun, something to represent the groom's interest, and was often chocolate or some other "fun" flavor. Now, weddings are seen as both the bride and groom's day so this tradition has lessened over time, but some people still do it, especially in the South.

• Future Mrs. Danger
    Expert November 2019
    Future Mrs. Danger ·
    • Flag
    I was confused by this at first, too. We are skipping this though.
  • Susan
    Beginner September 2020
    Susan ·
    • Flag
    I think I’m gonna go ahead and order him a cake anyway for him and his groomsmen to enjoy. He wants a peanut butter wedding cake and that’s just not happening lol
  • Meghan
    Devoted April 2020
    Meghan ·
    • Flag
    My FH doesn’t really like cake. In order for him to partake in cake cutting, I had to get him his own personal cake with specific flavors. So I guess we are doing a sorta grooms cake lol. It will just be a small tasting cake with the flavors he wants. I’m going to just get him a cake topper with his favorite sports team.
  • Suzie
    Super October 2021
    Suzie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That’s exactly what this is for! Usually this cake is just for the groom’s taste, decorated with his interests. It is usually presented at the wedding reception, and sometimes the bride surprises the groom with it. Or you could have it stationed next to the wedding cake and desserts.

• Danielle
    Devoted October 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag
    Our main dessert is ice cream sandwiches, as neither of us like cake. We still wanted to have a cake cutting, so we’re using the groomsmen cake for that. We also have family members and guests with dairy allergies, so the cake is dairy free so those guests still have a dessert to eat.
  • Florida Marlins
    Expert October 2017
    Florida Marlins ·
    • Flag

I always thought it was a southern thing? I am in the midwest, if we had a groom's cake the guests would have been like, huh?

• Cher Horowitz
    Master December 2019
    Cher Horowitz ·
    • Flag

I live in the South and we're skipping the grooms cake. To me, it didn't make sense for FH to have his very own cake Smiley laugh

• Aleaj
    Expert October 2019
    Aleaj ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Lol i believe it!
  • Lauren
    VIP February 2020
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

I've lived in the south my entire life and didn't realize groom's cakes weren't a universal wedding tradition til coming on here lol. A groom's cake is just a separate cake that exemplifies the groom's favorite things. It's usually chocolate cake (but doesn't have to be). My FH decided to go with this 3 tier cake with a triple fudge with chocolate ganache teir, cookies and cream with marshmallow filling tier, and almond wedding cake gold ball (because I don't like white cake & mine will be strawberry flavored). I've never, actually, been to a wedding that didn't have a groom's cake, but it's not mandatory. My wedding cake will serve 152 people, and his will serve 52. They'll be side by side on the cake tables.

Groom's CakeGrooms cake? 1

• Lauren
    VIP February 2020
    Lauren ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I'm from the south and have only seen grooms cakes at the reception so you're doing it the "normal" way. Smiley smile

• Aleaj
    Expert October 2019
    Aleaj ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I’m from the south as well and have only seen them at rehearsal dinner. To each it’s own

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics