Ashley
Expert October 2021

Gift from wedding party?

Ashley, on October 19, 2019 at 9:31 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 12
Saved Save
So can y’all help me settle something? What is the proper etiquette for bridesmaids to bride? Do they give a gift, offer a card with money, or both?

thanks in advanced!

12 Comments

Latest activity by MrsD, on October 21, 2019 at 12:50 PM
  • Destiny
    VIP May 2020
    Destiny ·
    • Flag

They'd typicaly gift at bridal shower if they're going to but no one has to gift. and it can be a gift card to a place the bride and groom are registered at or a gift from registry

• Nemo
    Master August 2018
    Nemo ·
    • Flag
    To the best of my knowledge there is no “proper etiquette” for this. They gift what they can afford.

One of my bridesmaids gifted us cash, one gifted us a suitcase from our registry, one gifted us a gift card/recipe box/personalized cutting board, and one gifted us a card. All were appropriate and appreciated.
  • E
    Devoted November 2019
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    I’ve only heard that the bridesmaids go in on a gift for the bridal shower gift.
  • Ashley
    Expert October 2021
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    So I guess I should have been more specific. We’ve already done the shower/gifts. Day of wedding is what we’re trying to figure out.
  • E
    Devoted November 2019
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I’ve never heard of a gift on day of the wedding. If you want to do that, what a nice gesture! Don’t. Feel obligated . If anything a nice handwritten note would be sweet
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    I don’t see why it would be any different than a typical wedding guest. I’ve always gifted a card with cash or a check at the wedding and a physical gift at the shower.
  • Amanda
    Master December 2020
    Amanda ·
    • Flag
    When I was my bridesmaids bridesmaid, I gifted at the bridal party (naughty fun stuff) and at her wedding
  • Chandra
    Master May 2019
    Chandra ·
    • Flag
    I'd treat it the same as if I were a regular gift. A nice card and cash/check of what i can afford.
    If i had to travel and buy expensive dresses/hamu then the gift might be less than I had spent less on expenses.
  • katy
    Just Said Yes September 2019
    katy ·
    • Flag
    You should gift the same as any other wedding guest unless you can’t afford a nice gift after buying a dress and everything else involved in being a bridesmaid. If you can’t afford a typical gift you should write a nice card and speak to the bride separately or get something sentimental that’s not expensive. I’ve been a bridesmaid eight times now and was just recently a bride and I was a little hurt by a few of my bridesmaids not giving me a gift or card on my wedding day and not mentioning it to me- especially those who’s weddings I was in and also gave them a gift.
  • Megan
    Expert October 2019
    Megan ·
    • Flag
    I didnt expect my BMs tonight anything. They spent oney on dresses, shoes, my sister and cousin both traveled to make it so I was just happy they were there with me. But they surprised me with a date-night wallet. It had gift cards for a local coffee place, restaurants and some cash inside.
  • Beth
    Beginner September 2022
    Beth ·
    • Flag
    Im not getting gifts. My 2 bridesmaids are unable to afford anything. I wouldnt want any anyways.
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

I've been a bridesmaid twice, both times I gifted the bride & groom $100 in a card. I told our wedding party to skip presents since they spent so much on our wedding but more than half still gave us cash.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics