Jasmine
Savvy April 2020

Games during cocktail hour??

Jasmine, on September 2, 2019 at 2:05 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 20
Saved Save
I went to a wedding this past weekend and during cocktail hour I couldn’t help but wish that maybe we had something else to do during cocktail hour other than snack and talk. My cocktail hour will be partially around a pool and I was wondering had anyone had any games during their cocktail hour or anything to make the time pass a little faster?

20 Comments

• Liz
    Dedicated June 2020
    Liz ·
    • Flag
    We are actually only doing a cocktail 1/2 hour, so hopefully guests won’t get too bored..
  • Cher Horowitz
    Rockstar December 2019
    Cher Horowitz ·
    • Flag

I've seen some brides have corn hole games during cocktail hour! You can even personalize the boards - I found this example on Pinterest!

Games during cocktail hour?? 1

• Jasmine
    Savvy April 2020
    Jasmine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Corn hole was exactly something I had in mind! I love that, thank you!
  • Jasmine
    Savvy April 2020
    Jasmine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I would love to cut the time myself but I’m pretty sure we are going to need that whole hour for pictures.
  • Jeanie
    Rockstar February 2020
    Jeanie ·
    • Flag
    Games are always great! Corn hole is an option. They also make yard jenga and match four. You can also get a ladder ball game. There’s lots of options, and I think any of them would go perfectly with a poolside cocktail hour.
  • Jasmine
    Savvy April 2020
    Jasmine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you, I’m going to have to look up that ladder ball game, thats a new one for me.
  • Cher Horowitz
    Rockstar December 2019
    Cher Horowitz ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

You're very welcome!

• Sarah
    Expert September 2019
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    We're doing corn hole and table games during cocktail hour and the dance (for those who dont dance)
  • Jasmine
    Savvy April 2020
    Jasmine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Do you plan to customize your cornhole boards?
  • Sarah
    Expert September 2019
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Nope, just using them as they are. My fiancee built them a for us few years ago. They're beautiful and somthing we use every summer so I don't feel the need to change them for a weekend.
  • Carrie
    Just Said Yes October 2019
    Carrie ·
    • Flag
    Yes I’m having yard games
  • Savvy April 2020
    ·
    • Flag
    I hadn't even thought about having games during cocktail hour-- great idea! That might save some guests from overindulging, too. My cocktail hour will be indoors- any ideas for indoor games?
  • Kristen
    VIP April 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag
    We will have a cornhole and ring toss that I am borrowing from a friend. In addition to the hors doeuvres, photobooth, and bar, I don’t think my guests will have any opportunity to be bored
  • Autumn
    Dedicated September 2019
    Autumn ·
    • Flag
    So our wedding is a little more rustic. It’s at a camp that also does weddings. And we are having giant Jenga , cornholes, that ladder game which are all during the cocktail hour and after. But just during the cocktail hour we are also having archery and hatchet throwing. So should be pretty interesting.
  • Jasmine
    Savvy April 2020
    Jasmine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Completely understand!
  • Jasmine
    Savvy April 2020
    Jasmine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yea I don’t want people to have too much down time to get antsy. I saw on Pinterest where a wedding had custom cocktail napkins that had word searches on the back of the napkin. You can do bingo cards, jinga...
  • Jasmine
    Savvy April 2020
    Jasmine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes!! I don’t want them to even realize that they are waiting around for the reception area to open, I just want them to enjoy their time throughout.
  • Jasmine
    Savvy April 2020
    Jasmine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That sounds like a good time!
  • Sara
    Expert June 2020
    Sara ·
    • Flag

We are going to have games the entire wedding. For sure corn hole (maybe 2) probably Can Jam (maybe 2 set up). We might have a basketball hoop set up in one of the horse stalls ( reception is in an old barn), might have darts set up in another stall. Possibly ring toss and giant jenga.

I am thinking to have catchy wedding-ish/relationship names/puns for the games but can't really come up with that many. Like I'll make the rings for ring toss look like engagement and wedding bands. Darts can be something about about cupids arrow..??

• Denise
    Super September 2019
    Denise ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I think this is a great idea! Something for idle hands

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics