Cait
Dedicated June 2020

Future in laws. i love them but they're stressing me out

Cait, on March 26, 2020 at 11:19 AM Posted in Planning 0 18
Saved
My family and I are very hopeful things will be fine by June 27th. My fiance's family just takes my anxiety and pushes it to the top. Our venue/ceremony is a private location at a family friends barn and beautiful acreage right across the street from my parents. Most of it is DIY and we have 75 ppl so far maybe less. The people letting us use this space are even greatly helping by being our coordinators, decorators, and more. We have a wonderful support group and it gives me hope. I've never wanted a big extravagant expensive wedding and neither does my fiance. So when we told his parents about the barn and little ceremony by the pond they were kind of taken aback. It was like I could see is in their brains, "oh... you want country COUNTRY". His sister got married at a regular venue and everything and his family is very traditional. Our theme is rustic country meets syfy/ gaming lol. Were both nerds and love what we love but I also love nature. Below is a picture of one of our centerpieces to give you an idea of how things will look. We haven't talked much to his family lately with everything going on. But I'm worried that when Easter comes and we video chat if need be or have actual dinner that the questions and concerns will come flying in. They were already iffy about things we wanted such as no first look, no recieving line (our plan is to visit tables. I feel that is more intimate and personal), having pictures after ceremony with a cocktail hour break for guests, and now COVID19 has come. I'm worried theyll just give us more things to stress about. I feel like we take steps forward and then they put on the brakes with their fears that just make us stressed.Future in laws. i love them but they're stressing me out 1

18 Comments

Latest activity by Jasie, on April 14, 2020 at 10:42 PM
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Legend March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride
    • Flag
    I just have to say I LOVE your centerpieces! So fun. 馃挄
  • Trisha
    Super October 2020
    Trisha
    • Flag

Dont Stress! Plan The Wedding You And Your Fiance Want. Only Stress When You Absolutely Need To! Love The Centerpiece!

• Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly
    • Flag
    If they try to bring it up I would just say the decisions have been made and it鈥檚 not up for discussion and then change the subject.
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle
    • Flag
    I think it鈥檚 also hard for people to see someone else鈥檚 vision so I鈥檓 sure when it all comes together it鈥檒l look really nice and they鈥檒l enjoy it
  • Monica
    Super October 2021
    Monica
    • Flag
    Do you ever plan to fill them in? If you do plan to then when you talk to them for easter tell them that you are still figuring it out and would rather update them when you have everything finalized. This could get them off your back for a while short term. In all reality dont let anyone stress you out. Do things your way and everyone else will have to follow in line.

We had a huge fight with FHs parents. This was before the county and government started shutting down and limiting public gatherings. We were stressed out and got really good news! The news was at the time both the church And reception hall were not canceling us and they were not restricting our guest count. We were so relieved! We told FHs parents and instead of being supportive they chose the Wrong time to lecture us and told us we need to cancel the wedding. The worst part is they INSISTED that we would get full refunds. We were livid. They didnt think about our feelings, the stress we were going through, the ups and downs it was not the time or place after we got the good news to tell us to shut it down. A week later shutdowns happened and we had to postpone.

Not everyone will agree with you, even when they get on board with your ideas they can have sour attitudes. Try to keep your sanity any way that you can.
  • Cait
    Dedicated June 2020
    Cait
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    We have been as things come up but until the weather gets nicer and things are closer to and cleaned up they cant get s good look st the place. They've seen pictures and saw it covered in snow. Our plan is around memorial day have them see it cause the family of our venue hosts an annual memorial day breakfast every year and by then it will be clean and pretty by then.
  • Sara
    Expert August 2021
    Sara
    • Flag
    We are NERDING OUT with everything. My fiance's parents were iffy about a lot of things, but I put my foot down and said if they were not going to help pay, then they had no say.
  • Sandy
    Dedicated December 2021
    Sandy
    • Flag
    Those are awesome centerpieces! It鈥檚 your guy鈥檚 day and you should be able to do it however you want. At some point, you鈥檙e just going to have to tell them that you have everything under control and if you need help (or opinions) you鈥檒l ask for it. I had FH show future MIL the coasters we鈥檝e been working on and she asks 鈥渁re they even so people can put stuff on them?鈥 Naaahhh, i made them all at angles so they would be completely useless. I know she means well, but sometimes just annoys me.
  • Cait
    Dedicated June 2020
    Cait
    • Flag
    Thank you all! I'm just a very shy at times and acnt always speak up. I shall let you know how things go come around easter
  • Jasmine
    Devoted May 2021
    Jasmine
    • Flag
    The only problem I see is Princess Leia is missing lol I love this is so cute, creative, and personal.
  • Cait
    Dedicated June 2020
    Cait
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh we have lots of Leia lol
    We have our guest book, a leia will be hiding in my bouquet and my dad's boutonniere, a leia and han figuring holding hands for our rehearsal dinner set up, and a mini leia in a tiny terrarium hanging from the ceiling. My man will have a han on his boutonniere Future in laws. i love them but they're stressing me out 2

• Jasie
    Dedicated September 2020
    Jasie
    • Flag
    WHERE did you get those AMAZING centerpieces??? Were they all handmade??? We're also having tons of nerdy stuff. I've been calling it traditional yet eclectic haha.
  • Cait
    Dedicated June 2020
    Cait
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Future in laws. i love them but they're stressing me out 3

Future in laws. i love them but they're stressing me out 4
    We made them lol. Our theme is Rustic/syfy/gaming and our colors are purple,, charcoal Grey, and white.. Both FH and I have been long time Lootcrate subscribers so we had a ton of figurines, we only had to buy a few extras. Our tables consist of Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Alien, Ghostbusters (i have a giant staypuft bank that we used for it along with a lil slider and Venkman), Mario, Lord of the Rings, Legend of Zelda, Marvel Avengers, Marvel Guardians of the Galaxy (we have a giant groot head with thors hammer in his head and tiny guardiams crying on him) and Fallout. But as you see in the back of my Mario picture there are also mini terrariums that will go on top of lit up wine bottles and hang from the ceiling. Those are mixed we have Firefly, Bioshock, Pok茅mon, Harry Potter, Back to the Future, and more lol. All the terrariums will light up but Mario will lot up in multi colors. I'll be sure to post pictures here with them on the tables all lit up and pretty.
  • Jasie
    Dedicated September 2020
    Jasie
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I have so many figurines I can't BELIEVE I didn't think of doing this. I definitely want to see the Groot one and Back to the Future. I actually wanna see them all haha. Please post the pictures. 鉂わ笍 And do NOT let anyone talk you out of your theme because it is AMAZING. Smiley smile
  • Cait
    Dedicated June 2020
    Cait
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I will! This is the groot planter were using. He has little succulents growing from his head along with the hammerFuture in laws. i love them but they're stressing me out 5

• Jasie
    Dedicated September 2020
    Jasie
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Future in laws. i love them but they're stressing me out 6
    We're using this Groot to hold candy on our dessert table. Smiley smile
  • Cait
    Dedicated June 2020
    Cait
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    CUTE! You could even put little cassette tapes around him. My parents still have a lot of their cassette tapes due to some of their cars not having a cd player and my brother is very retro and still listens to them in his room so we even have a tape in groot's terrarium labeled Starlord's Greatest Mix
  • Jasie
    Dedicated September 2020
    Jasie
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    My brother got my a player and the Guardians tapes for Christmas! Great idea, thanks! Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics