C
Just Said Yes July 2020

For my legal ceremony - wear my dress or save for the real deal?

cat, on April 29, 2020 at 10:19 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 15
Saved
My fiancé and I are supposed to be getting married in July. We are looking at options to possibly have an intimate ceremony with parents and siblings only to get legally married on our date, and then to postpone our real “wedding” and reception to a later date. (I’m a teacher and we’re long distance so we need to get married this summer so I can move!) my question is, should I wear my wedding dress to the intimate ceremony or save it for the real thing later? Part of me wants to wait and let it be a surprise but another part of me wants the excuse to wear it twice. 😂 what would you do?

15 Comments

Latest activity by Tina, on May 4, 2020 at 2:37 PM
  • C
    Dedicated October 2021
    C ·
    • Flag
    I would wear it twice!
  • Hannah
    Master July 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    I don't think there's really any right answer here. For me, I think it would depend on where are we getting married and what kind of dress. For instance, I probably wouldn't want to trudge a giant ballgown through my parents backyard or something like that. I would just be mindful of if there's a way the setting can potentially dirty or damage your dress (snag on some branches or walk through mud). I may shy away from it if that's the case because I wouldn't want to risk it not being able to get cleaned or repaired properly. Otherwise, I would totally do it. These dresses ain't cheap and why not try and get your money's worth!
  • M
    Just Said Yes March 2020
    Marissa ·
    • Flag
    I wore it for my small ceremony with parents and siblings, and I’ll wear it again if we are able to have a reception when this is all over! Best of luck! I know this was hard for me to go through.
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    I would probably get another dress for the small ceremony... partly also because I’m a huge fan of the look of those relatively “casual” white maxi dresses that you could wear for an intimate ceremony 😍 and it’d be an excuse to get one of those and to have 2 different bridal looks! Also, if your husband has already seen the dress (and presumably so has everyone else since I assume you’ll take pictures at the intimate ceremony), it definitely wouldn’t be as exciting wearing it again at the big celebration.
  • Natalie
    Devoted December 2021
    Natalie ·
    • Flag
    Hmm, I’d probably wear another dress for the intimate ceremony. It would turn out to be another meaningful outfit in my closet that I’d also maybe wear for the rehearsal dinner the weekend of the BIG DAY!
  • Marissa
    Expert October 2020
    Marissa ·
    • Flag

I would wear my dress twice! For the small intimate ceremony, most of your guests will see it yes, via Zoom or photos, but if you wear it again for the reception then they can finally see how beautiful it is in person!

• Jennifer
    Super March 2020
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag
    I chose to save mine for the actual wedding celebration. The ONE thing he requested was for me to save my dress for my "grand entrance." To let us both enjoy the emotion, I choose to wait until we can have actual photography, family, and a venue.
  • K
    Dedicated June 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag
    I am saving mine for the big wedding, and purchased a less formal dress for my intimate ceremony 😊
  • Mrs.a
    Master October 2021
    Mrs.a ·
    • Flag
    If it were me I would wear it twice!
  • Fleur
    October 2020
    Fleur ·
    • Flag

I'm team 2 dresses for sure, lol. Love Natalie's idea to rewear the OG dress to the RD!

• E
    Just Said Yes June 2021
    Emily ·
    • Flag

I am saving mine for our big wedding, although I don't have a choice because mine is stuck at the bridal shop not finished with alterations. I'm wearing the dress I would have worn to my shower (that got cancelled twice), for our small ceremony.

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Administrator October 2016
    Lynnie ·
    • Flag

I loved my wedding wedding dress so I would totally wear it twice! 🥰 But it's up to you!!

• Pirate & 60s Bride
    Legend March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    I think I’d wear it twice but have two totally different looks with hair & makeup (maybe accessories). Unless the dress is a giant uncomfortable ballgown, then I’d get a different dress.
  • A
    Dedicated September 2020
    Alys ·
    • Flag
    I’m going to wear a random outfit I already have from my closet for the civil ceremony and my wedding dress for my actual wedding. I don’t want to have to dry clean the dress twice, saves $300 on the cleaning fee.
  • T
    Devoted August 2020
    Tina ·
    • Flag
    I would wear it twice. If you are afraid of getting it dirty if it’s outside ceremony then use a simple dress. I figure if you can wear it more than once I totally would say go for it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics