Bridget
Devoted October 2019

Fmil 🤦🏼‍♀️

Bridget, on September 15, 2019 at 3:52 AM Posted in Family and Relationships 0 10
Saved Save
So I’ve been shaking my head at my fmil. When we first made our guest list fh and I took her and ffil to dinner and went over guest list. After doing family I asked any friends? They said no. I point blank looked at his mom and asked about her best friend that she sees all the time. She told me no. Fast forward to two weeks after invites went out fmil calls to ask if we ever sent friend an invitation- clearly knowing we hadn’t. I said no you told me no when I specifically asked about her, I don’t know her last name or her address. She immeadiatly rattled off the address. Wedding is heavy on my side so we sent one out and got the response back three days later.
The other day fmil texts me to ask if this friend can get dressed at the wedding as they’re driving together along with an aunt, uncle and cousin. I counted to 10 like 20 times and was still nuts. I’ve never met this person, I do not want her in the bridal suite getting ready with us. I’ve told fmil multiple times that she needs to be at venue early for pictures. I swear I don’t think she gets it.
I gave it about an hour and then called her and told her that the venue isn’t open for guests until 3:30 (an hour prior to the ceremony which is true bridal party can be there at 8)I retold her I need her and ffil at venue at latest 1:00 for pictures. I told her with 9 women (me 6 bridesmaids my mom and her) getting ready, 2 flower girls, photographer coordinator three hair and makeup people it’s going to be crazy and not really room.
I then offered as a solution to allow the friend aunt uncle and cousin to go to the hotel. Fh and I got two suites for night before and night of for us and his daughters. I’ll leave a key at desk for them to get ready in one of our rooms. They can then either drive at 3:30 or take our transportation to venue.

Am I crazy? Would you have said yes to letting a stranger to you get ready in the bridal suite?

Oh then she tells me she’s going to bring her dress and shoes to the rehearsal so I can take it to the venue for the wedding. As if I don’t have enough to think about bringing! This honestly just made me laugh and say ok.

10 Comments

• Megan
    Super November 2020
    Megan ·
    Omg this is such a face palm. It also sounds all too familiar unfortunately lol

No, you are not being crazy about any of this. Just here to validate that.

I think you came up with a really reasonable solution! It sounds like fmil is just not listening.

I hope all all works out well!!
  • M
    Super September 2019
    Mrs. Bubba ·
    Wow! I’m so sorry that you’re dealing with this.

People tend to somehow come up with all types of “foolery” and shenanigans when to put the 👰 through when there’s Wedding involved.

Congratulations and 🍀‼️
  • Andrea
    VIP April 2020
    Andrea ·

Wow, from what I can see, FMIL is asking for way too much, not considering the most important things that need to be done, schedules etc. You've been nice and gave her an alternative. You've done all you can. I don't think I would have been able to hold my tongue if my FMIL did this. Very good!! And I hope your wedding day is as beautiful as can be

• Kelsey
    Super September 2020
    Kelsey ·
    Wow. You handled this very well in my opinion. She is asking too much, I can't believe she would ask you to take her outfit over to the venue.
  • G
    Dedicated June 2020
    Gabby ·
    I also agree that you handled this well! If someone asked for a stranger to get ready in my bridal suite on my wedding day I would laugh at them and not even feel sorry.
  • Peggy
    Master November 2019
    Peggy ·
    I would have said absolutely, she can get ready at the venue, I think there’s a women’s bathroom down the hall.
  • Bridget
    Devoted October 2019
    Bridget ·
    She really is s very sweet woman, I don’t want anyone to get me wrong, I love her but i really don’t think she has any idea of what has and is going into this. I’ve tried to include them, we brought them to the venue tasting and offered to bring her to cake tastings and dress shopping but she couldn’t make any due to work. I guess I’ll see how it all goes.
  • Ivy ORP
    Rockstar October 2019
    Ivy ORP ·

I think you handled that better than I may have. My friend asked to bring a friend I don't know after I asked her to join me while I get ready since I don't have MOH or bridesmaids. I had to say no because we don't have space for another guest at the venue anyway but it did make me want to smack my head.

• Nicole
    Super September 2020
    Nicole ·

Wow! I think you handled it great and are being super accommodating! not sure what your FMIl is thinking, but I think you handled the situation well!

• Kiki
    Dedicated November 2019
    Kiki ·

Some people just are not aware during weddings, I've learned this the hard way. My wedding is in two weeks and FMIL told me she was going to ask her other son ( the best man) to drive her to go get her makeup done..... which is when he should be getting ready for the wedding. Not sure who that made sense to her but, i respectfully told her no cannot be done.

You were very sweet offering your room up that's more than I would've done.

Comment on this discussion