Suzie
Devoted October 2020

Florist- how much leeway did you give?

Suzie, on October 10, 2019 at 8:46 PM Posted in Planning 0 17
Saved Save
We had our first florist consultation today, and overall I think it went well. The woman was super friendly, and seemed to get the overall vision I am looking for. My concern is that I went in with a very specific idea of flowers, peonies, roses, and hydrangeas, but she was saying how they like to use a variety of flowers to achieve the look. She also said getting peonies would be very difficult to get for October. I know they are not in season then, but figured it would be doable. We went over colors I like, which flowers I do/do not like, greenery, the works. At the end I asked if I would see my flowers beforehand, as I do not like to leave things to chance, and she said she could send me a mock up a week in advance and they can change it up if I don’t like certain things. Is this normal? Did you have a set look that you stuck with, or did you trust your florist to put your vision together? How did it go? Thanks!

17 Comments

• C
    Super January 2020
    Cassie ·
    • Flag
    I chose my florist because I love her style. I told her my colors and style I wanted. She created a Pinterest board for me of flowers that she would use. The only specific flower I asked for was a protea for my bouquet only. I trust her vision. Prior to hiring her I did meet with another florist who provided a mock bouquet that was beautiful but didn’t match my style.
  • Suzie
    Devoted October 2020
    Suzie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Did they do a mock bouquet for the consult, r before/after? And did you send them ideas for them to work from?
  • C
    Super January 2020
    Cassie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    The florist I hired did not do a mock up and I didn’t ask for one after she sent me the Pinterest board of the flowers she plans to use. I follow all her social media and have for some time now and haven’t seen anything I didn’t love. The lady I initially met with brought a mock-up to our consult, she had called me prior to discuss what I wanted and created the bouquet for me to see.
  • Eri
    Expert October 2020
    Eri ·
    • Flag

That sounds pretty normal!

When I first reached out to my florist, I included a few inspiration photos (since she asks for that on the inquiry form). Her proposal back to me included full descriptions and a few pictures of some similar bouquets and boutonnieres, but not exact.

I was extremely impressed with her vision and how spot-on she was. Somehow she just 'got' what I was going for, even though I didn't really know myself, and couldn't articulate it.

Granted, I'm not super knowledgeable about flowers, so I didn't give her specifics beyond colors and the overall look & feel that I was going for.

We'll be having an actual in-person consultation in the spring, but won't finalize the florals until much closer to the wedding.

• Jeanelle
    Super September 2018
    Jeanelle ·
    • Flag
    I selected my florist based on her style, her instagram, and we had a chat via phone to hold the date. so the correspondence was important to me as well. we got married last september in west new york and i definitely have favorite flowers, including tropical greens and wild flowers.
    i pulled a lot of my favorites and the rug that would be used to stand upon during our ceremony. initially i went with neutral and greenery as a guide, then about a month out i switched gears and went for color. she was privy to the bouquets i liked, cascading, heavily textured, no bright colors but complementary tones. i had no idea what my bouquet was going to end up like and it was terrifying for an over planner like me. there wasn’t going to be any mockups or sneaks of what i was going to get, but i complete trusted her as she was patient with me during all my inspiration posts to her.
    needless to say, the day came and i was floored. i gave her a tall order and she executed it beyond my expectations, flawlessly, and i am still (a year later) obsessed with them.

if you picked your florist because you love their work, trust them. even if they don’t get you the exact flowers you want or need, maybe you’ll see ones you’ve never seen before. i absolutely have favorites but i was given so many i’ve never known about and mad that they’re not common.
  • Erin
    Dedicated October 2019
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    I’m an October bride whose MIL is a florist and you cannot get peonies since they’re not in season any more and she tried really, really hard to get them for me. There are similar flowers she’s using in their place such as garden roses and ranunculuas. I’m not seeing my flowers until the day of, but I know brides pay to have her do a mock version of their bouquet before hand. My flower combo is similar to your so have her look at garden roses and ranunculas to add in the mix
  • Suzie
    Devoted October 2020
    Suzie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I think this woman got what I was going for too, based on my description and flowers I like (and don’t). She showed me a few flowers she thought I would like, but she didn’t show me any work they had done before like mine. Maybe I’m just having a difficult time not knowing. I just feel like I went in with my vision and left with no vision at all.
  • Suzie
    Devoted October 2020
    Suzie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I am an over planner too! This is why I am so nervous with the idea of putting complete trust in someone else for something so pivotal to the wedding. I honestly chose her based on a vendor list, I had never seen their work before, so that’s also why I am also hesitant. I looked through her Instagram and the photos are beautiful, but nothing stood out that seemed like me. We do plan on looking around, so maybe I will get different feels from somewhere else. You do give me hope that I can relinquish control and have a good experience! The unknown is so terrifying!! Lol.
  • Suzie
    Devoted October 2020
    Suzie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you, this is super helpful! I was so sad she said peonies aren’t really possible, I love them so much. I will look into these other options! How lucky are you to have a connection! That’s great!
  • Cassie
    Dedicated November 2020
    Cassie ·
    • Flag

I also love peonies, and we are getting married in November, they are very difficult to get if at all that time of year, but I would think she could have recommended (as my florist did) something like the English Tea rose, it is very similar to a Peony and in season that time of year and its beautiful. If her process makes you nervous, explain your expectation and that you expect her to meet it. Let her know you want things handled in advance and to be honest she should be able to accommodate. If not I would choose a different vendor.

• MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·
    • Flag

Daughter's florist made a mock-up of a centerpiece for her about 6-8 weeks ahead, but had already created super-detailed descriptions of each item ordered that included full colored photos of the individual flowers and photos from her gallery of the shape/size of the various arrangements (e.g., bride's bouquet, BMs' bouquets, centerpieces, altar arrangements, etc.). Daughter's wedding was in January so Peonies weren't an option, but the florist created a very similar look with large cottage roses, mixed in with several other varieties of roses. (Cottage roses are also MUCH less expensive than Peonies, even if they'd been in season, so that was a bonus.) All the other bouquets and arrangements also included hydrangea (again, a budget friendly flower), that added both softness and increased the size of the arrangements. Overall, the flowers were gorgeous, but daughter felt like she had a VERY good idea what the florist was planning to create from their first meeting, more than a year before the wedding. Good luck!

• Suzie
    Devoted October 2020
    Suzie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you for the suggestion! What a beautiful flower! I’ll have to add this to my vision, much appreciated. That is my thought as well, she should accommodate to what we’re looking for, not the other way around.

• Suzie
    Devoted October 2020
    Suzie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you, this is really helpful! Cottage roses are beautiful, I have never heard of these! This is what I thought we would get from a florist, a very clear idea with images of what they would be planning. From the sound of things, this woman will show a mock up to brides who request it, but only like two weeks out! Seems like she really wants customers who just trust her vision, but that is not really my planning style. I really need to have some kind of idea beforehand, this is a big expense! Thank you for your input, it’s good to know I am not expecting something way out of the norm.

• MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·
    • Flag

This is an example of one page of daughter's florist proposal. As you can see, she included small photos of each floral/greenery element, and then a photo from her gallery of the actual arrangement she was proposing. We had this proposal 14 months before the wedding after our first meeting with the florist. Florist- how much leeway did you give? 1

• MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·
    • Flag

For comparison, these were daughter's bouquets the day of. (She and the florist added pale pink Astilbe to the plans for the arrangements, after the original proposal [the pale feathery flowers], but that's really the only difference from what the florist proposed. Daughter's bouquet is the larger one at the center top.) I'd look for a florist who is willing to be more specific about what you can expect. Daughter loved her florist, and she was $1000 less expensive than daughter's next lowest bid, so comparison shopping can be very valuable. Good luck!Florist- how much leeway did you give? 2

• Suzie
    Devoted October 2020
    Suzie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Wow, these are BEAUTIFUL!! These are very close to what I envision myself! Your daughter and I have very similar style Smiley smile Thank you so much for sharing this, I will ask the next vendors we meet with if they can provide details like this for us. Seems very close to what they sent her in advance! They did a great job.

• MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thanks! Daughter was thrilled. Everything was EXACTLY what she and florist had talked about/agreed to, but, honestly, even more beautiful than we imagined. We're in So Cal, so that likely contributed to the florist's access to perfect flowers in January, but I'd keep shopping around to see if you can find someone who better meets your needs. Good luck! Smiley heart

Comment on this discussion