I am doing a first look! I was initially against the idea, but after talking to our photographer, I'm now really looking forward to doing a first look! It will allow me to spend a few minutes alone with my fiance, when I'll be spending the rest of the day running around and socializing with guests. It will allow us to take all our pictures before the ceremony, so we can attend cocktail hour with our guests. It will help ease nervousness before the ceremony.
We did a first look. Initially, I was very against it. My husband really wanted to do a first look though. After talking with my photographer and videographer, we decided to do the first look. Below I've listed what I think the pros and cons are.
1. Gives the couple more time together without guests interrupting
2. Gives more time for photos prior to ceremony
3. Less photos during cocktail hour (I think this is a huge pro. My brother and his wife didn't do a first look and cocktail hour ended up going well over an hour and they missed part of their reception because their photographer had to pull them aside to get more photos of just the two of them. Because cocktail hour went well over an hour it pushed back the rest of the timeline including dinner.)
4. Helped with nerves
5. More of a reaction from my husband (This could be unique to me, but my husband isn't the type to show a ton of emotions in front of people so for us a first look meant his reaction would be more genuine because he didn't have to worry about keeping his emotions in check in front of our family and friends. I will say he did end up crying while reading his vows which he was trying to avoid, but because we wrote our own vows he knew there was a chance he would cry. For most of our family and friends it was the first time they had ever seen him cry.)
1. More photos during cocktail hour/might go over an hour which could delay the entire timeline like it did with my brother's wedding
2. Don't get to see fiancé prior to walking done the aisle (Some people really want the first moment to be when they walk down the aisle. It was one reason I was very against the first look to begin with, but I still felt like I had that moment even though we did a first look. Yes, I still saw my husband during the first look, but it didn't really hit me that we were getting married until I walked down the aisle towards him with my dad escorting me and all of our guests watching us so it was still an emotional moment).
We're doing one! Personally, I don't see any cons with having a first look. You get to get most of your pictures done ahead of time, meaning more time to see your guests at cocktail hour after the ceremony and actually getting to enjoy cocktail hour. Your hair and makeup will look its best because it was just done. It helps with any nerves because you'll get to be with your fiance more during the day. And it's a great opportunity to share a moment with just the two of you, which is pretty rare on a wedding day.