We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Serena
Devoted October 2020

First Fitting Success!! David's Bridal

Serena, on February 15, 2020 at 4:47 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 22
Saved Save
So I know reviews are mixed with DB alterations, but I have to say, my appointment went amazing! Maybe I'm speaking too soon since I haven't seen the official work, but ladies, I felt like a million bucks in my dress! When I picked my dress up after it being ordered in "my size", it fit awful. I couldn't wear it with confidence and I felt discouraged.
My seamstress was so creative and her ideas were BEAUTIFUL. She did not push me into anything and all decisions were up to me. I feel like the cost wasn't hateful. Obviously everyone has a different opinion of what's too much, but for me, the price worked. I was quoted at a different location of 4 to 500. The location I got my alterations done at was right on the money at 463.
Here is my breakdown:Take in sides- bodiceTake in front- bodiceAdd detachable cap sleevesHemSew on beltTake in side seams- skirtBustle, 5 points totalAdd hook & eyesAdd bra cups
Hope this helps if anyone is having doubts!

22 Comments

• Noelle
    Devoted November 2019
    Noelle ·
    • Flag
    That’s great. And I think that sounds like a very fair price for all those alterations.
  • Serena
    Devoted October 2020
    Serena ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I thought so too! We didn't discuss price until the end, so I was holding my breath as she was adding up the total. I realized it was more work than I initially anticipated. Only budgeted for 550, so I was pleasantly surpised when I was in budget! ( Thankful of course lol). To anyone reading this, I found it was extremely helpful to read reviews on the location I was going to. Between Google and Yelp, I learned about the 3 seamstress's with one seamstress is particular sticking out. In a positive way lol. Fortunately, she's who I got!! After reading such horror stories on DB, I tried to do my research! Lol
  • A
    Super February 2020
    Andrea ·
    • Flag
    I was the same way too. And then after the second, third, and fourth alterations I was freaking out because none of it was getting fixed the way I like it.

I guess I freaked them out cause I called twice this morning to ask for my dress and that my mom would fix it instead. They told me to come in and they told me they fixed all the problems I’ve had. I tried it on and it fits SO much better. They’re doing one more fix before I take it home but I’m happy the main seamstress is fixing it instead of the way my last few were.
  • Serena
    Devoted October 2020
    Serena ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Omg, I would of been freaking out too! I can't believe its taken so many attempts. What all did they have to do for you? I hope its perfect when you pick it up!
  • A
    Super February 2020
    Andrea ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

So, when I went to DB I bought a dress 2 sizes too big because they insisted that if I got it online it wouldn't be here on time. I checked online and the dress I got said it would arrive in 7 days...so big mistake there.

It's a tulle dress, with 3 layers. So they needed to bring in the seams on the sides, plus raise the dress cause I'm short. The problem was the lady who put all the pins in didn't tell me that the straps in the back were gaping out! I checked the photos when I tried on dresses and the clip is on the back, but you can't do that cause the seams are on the sides - thats why the straps have a gap!

After the 2nd alterations she tried to fix it by bringing in more on the sides after I told her it was already too tight. She was going to bring out 1/4 inch total out from the sides in the inner layer and bring in the outer layer with the straps. She said that would help, and then she brought up the dress again. After much thought I called the next day to tell her to actually bring out 1/2 inch total from the sides because I know it was too tight. She said 1/4 inch total because she didn't think it would be that bad.

3rd alterations and it's still too tight and I'm already freaking out because this is the day you're supposed to bring the dress home. They said they couldn't take the dress out due to the amount of time I had left. They said they could bring up a strap that was bothering me cause it wasn't straight and gaping out.

4th alterations it's still too tight on the body, I'm literally not liking the gap in the straps behind the dress, but this new lady says she will sew it in a way that will fix it. So I said fine.

Today I called twice. I couldn't sleep last night so I was literally freaking out. I asked them to please take out on the body 1/4 inch again because it just was too tight on me. The seamstress (the one I wanted all along) said that she had to wait for the lady who attended last night to see exactly what I needed. Since I was already on panic mode I decided to call my usual seamstress who said he wouldn't know until I brought it in, so I called DB again and asked if I could just pick up my dress without getting the strap fixed because I'll have my "mom fix it".

When I got to DB today the older seamstress told me that they took out the dress 1/4 inch so it fits way better! They lowered the arm hole on one arm cause it was bothering me, fixed the strap at the top. Then she gave me an option on how to fix the back which was by far the worst offender. It isn't 100% perfect, and you can see the seam and it isn't straight. I'll try it on again on Monday when FH goes to work, but I think I'll bring it to my usual seamstress just to see how much it'll get charged to get the straps fixed properly in the back. DB charged me $500 for the alterations which was a pain and so much time wasted. I feel like I should've gone to my usual seamstress to get it fixed,...I just didn't know this cause it's my first (and only) time going to DB. I'll post some photos in a bit so you can see.

• A
    Super February 2020
    Andrea ·
    • Flag
    First Fitting Success!! David's Bridal 1
    This was last night

First Fitting Success!! David's Bridal 2
    This is right now how they “fixed it”. It’s not straight, and you can see the seam. I’m happier because it no longer has a gap. I’m going to still bring it Monday to my usual seamstress to see what can be done. But I have a feeling the damage has been done and so if he can’t fix it I’m pretty content with the back now. It won’t drive me insane like how I was last night.
  • Serena
    Devoted October 2020
    Serena ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That is SO frustrating! They should of listened to your concerns all along. It doesn't look bad, but as you said, its not perfect. 500 is too much to not be perfect. I hope your seamstress can work some magic! Keep me updated if he can fix it. It's your wedding gown, you deserve to look flawless 💁
  • A
    Super February 2020
    Andrea ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    So I just went to my regular seamstress this morning and they said the reason why it’s bowing and the reason why the front part always looks like I’m flat chested (the fabric scrunches inside) is cause they NEVER touched the inside layer. They showed me that it was all original seams. I got charged for each layer and all they worked on was the top one. They’re going to try to do their best but I’m so freaking sad right now.
    First Fitting Success!! David's Bridal 3

• Serena
    Devoted October 2020
    Serena ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    NO freaking way!!! I'm not one for leaving negative reviews, but you're damn right I would if I had your experience. Such a scam.. On the bright side, your seamstress clearly sees the issue, so hopefully they can def help you. Ugh, I'm so sorry to hear this happen to you! I can't imagine how stressful this is
  • Serena
    Devoted October 2020
    Serena ·
    • Flag
    Update to my post. I spoke too soon. My alterations are horrible! Good luck to anyone having them done. I hope you have a better experience than me!
  • Ashley
    Dedicated October 2020
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I am so sad for you Smiley cry stay strong girl, you're still going to look beautiful on your wedding day! And from what I can see of the dress, it looks gorgeous!

• A
    Super February 2020
    Andrea ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh no! So I had to go somewhere else for my alterations, which again wasn’t perfect, but was way better than DB!
    Good luck!
  • A
    Super February 2020
    Andrea ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks! I had to go to a tailor to get it fixed. It wasn’t 100% fixed to the way I’d like it but it was way better than how DB was handling it.

The wedding was great and no one noticed the back cause I decided to wear a veil. If I could go back I’d insist on getting a dress that was my size. DB forced the bigger sized dress on me. And that would’ve saved this whole headache I had weeks and days before the wedding cause they would only need to add a bustle and hem... instead of taking in the sides and completely ruining it!
  • Serena
    Devoted October 2020
    Serena ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Awh so happy for you!!! Do you have pics!!? Seriosuly I feel like that's where DB really messed up with mine too. Pushing me into a bigger size bc of my bust, but then having to take everything else in. I'm not sure if they even took the bodice and bust in yet!! The hips felt better, but thats all. and they damaged my dress. My mom's talking about a civil suit if they don't fix it. Im not that type of person, but shes fuming. The job was done half a**ed and poor. Im not even sure if they finished it. I was called at 1.30 on Friday to come pick up my gown by 4, curbside, because they were closing at 6 and dont know when DB will be reopening. It was 6.30 when I tried it on and it was horrible. Unfortunately the store was closed by then and i didnt write down corporates number while I was there
  • Serena
    Devoted October 2020
    Serena ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ugh, thank you! So disappointing between paying that much, then only getting 1 fitting bc of this covid-19. Its far from perfect and I expected perfection. At least the hem looks nice.. Hopefully this passes before the wedding so they can get it right. I'll attach photos
  • Serena
    Devoted October 2020
    Serena ·
    • Flag
    First Fitting Success!! David's Bridal 4

First Fitting Success!! David's Bridal 5
    The dress came with a subtle beading around the waist. My seamstress removed some of it, then attached my belt off center. I also wasn't suppose to have ties which was the whole point of having the belt sewn in. So now theres that gap of nothing 😭First Fitting Success!! David's Bridal 6
    The one side still has beading. The other side is also removed. Which isn't as big as a deal as the back, but I was hoping to sell this dress after my wedding while its still the newest collection. But I don't see me getting much out of it if any. I don't understand the intention with removing part of the original beading?First Fitting Success!! David's Bridal 7
    First Fitting Success!! David's Bridal 8
    Then my cups aren't actually sewn in. They're only slightly tacked in 2 places. The underside is all flappy. And when i look down at my boob, you can see cup! First Fitting Success!! David's Bridal 9
    The bust either wasn't taken in, or not enough. So its gappy everywhere.
    First Fitting Success!! David's Bridal 10
    This is the slack in my bodice under my armpit. I wasn't pulling, it was an easy spread without resistance.

If they couldn't finish the job, then I should of had a partial refund..
  • Serena
    Devoted October 2020
    Serena ·
    • Flag
    First Fitting Success!! David's Bridal 11

This is how low it sits in the front bc its so loose.. I'm hoping boob tape helps.
    On the bright side! It looks well with straps.. However I prefer to not use my straps for the ceremony itself.
    First Fitting Success!! David's Bridal 12

• A
    Super February 2020
    Andrea ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

OH MY! They handed it to you on the curbside, didn't get everything done AND damaged your dress?! UGH. I really dislike DB and would have gone to a local shop if I knew it would be this crazy. I understand that every location is different, but if I knew ahead of time that this was going to be an issue I would have just gone to my regular person. I just saw your photos you've added too, I'm so sorry for you and all the headache you're going through right now! Just be happy you have a month left to find someone better to fix the dress. I only had 5 days...and that was so much stress I had a huge zit in my photos and videos for the wedding!

The last time I wrote on here I said I went to my seamstress and was told of all of the mistakes that DB did. I went to work FUMING trying to figure out if I should do a civil suit against them. No one at work had experience doing a civil suit, and I felt that I didn't want other women to have the same fate as me so I ended up writing a review on yelp. Another thing they do at the DB I went to was tell all the brides to write 5 star reviews about their time there, so there are a ton of them mixed in with my 1 star. Take a look at my review:

Yelp Review

I got a call from DB a day after I wrote that review and they told me that they would refund me 1/2 of the alterations cost. I believe I spoke to the manager who told me she spoke to the main alterations lady (the one I wanted all along) to understand what happened. She understood I was unhappy when I left with my dress. I didn't complain over the phone and just said thank you.

The place I typically would go to only had about 5 days to fix my dress and charged me the 1/2 that DB gave me back. I only went to 2 fittings cause there wasn't enough time! I had problems with this as well, BUT not as much as DB. They fixed the gaping in the back and they fixed the front - my 2 biggest concerns were the scrunch in the front which made me look flat and the gap in the back.

The issues I found with the dress with my second place, the back they made too tight so I couldn't zip it up all the way, but it was already too late to fix this. My sister said it was only an inch from the top so she had to zip it up every time she saw it go down a bit. The second issue I found was that the back where they fixed wasn't straight behind the tulle. It's not easily noticeable unless you're really looking, but I could tell they were rushing cause of the tight time frame. Then finally, this isn't my 2nd seamstress fault - I noticed a hole in the tulle next to the bustle which I believe was done at DB. Can't be fixed unless I want to spend another $50 on it....and it was so small and unnoticeable so I let it go.

The 2 biggest concerns were fixed so no one noticed that, the other issues were minor and thankfully you don't see it in the photos. And I had bought a veil just to have one in case, and I ended up wearing it to hide the back.

I'm getting the edited video in a week and we'll see how it looks. If I see my big zit I tried to hide I'll clean it up or have friends who do that. But here are some photos from the BAM I wrote. I wish it gives you hope that this whole nightmare with DB will be nothing when you're about to marry your FH. I sent my dress to get it cleaned cause my mom got me the DB preservation kit. I just got the box yesterday and haven't opened it to see how bad it looks. So it's sitting in the living room until I get to it...

Wedding Wire BAM

• Serena
    Devoted October 2020
    Serena ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I'm going to have my mom demand for another belt to fix that gap, and I'm hoping to have my nana take it in once its safe to be around her. I work in a nursing home, so it's best to keep my distance for now. Yes! They all push 5 stars down your throat! The place that ordered me the larger gown literally had me write a 5 star review in front of them at check out. I was so turned off by that! They pretty much forced my mom to write a review too!

Maybe I should change my review to a 1 star?

On the bright side, you looked breathtaking! Your pics are stunning. I'm sure it was a lot of stress but it looked like you had a perfect day! Smiley smile

• A
    Super February 2020
    Andrea ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Do it. Your mom and your nana will be the best people to help. My mom isn’t in the same city as me so I was so alone.

Start with the review because it might push them to give you back your money. Thankfully when I complained they didn’t give me credit cause I’ll never buy from there again.

Comment on this discussion

Related articles