Dj Tanner
June 2021

First Dress Appointment!!!!

Dj Tanner, on July 10, 2020 at 12:10 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 19
Saved
So I have my first dress appointment next week. I’m wondering if there’s anything I should bring? Any tips? I’m going to do my hair and make up that way I get a better idea of what the dresses will look like on my wedding day. I also plan on bringing heels and possibly bringing a body shaper just in case. Any suggestions on what kind of bra I should wear?

19 Comments

Latest activity by Lynnie, on July 10, 2020 at 2:17 PM
  • Martha
    Beginner November 2020
    Martha ·
    • Flag
    Wear a bra that matches your skin tone. Strapless helps if you have one!
  • Nicole
    Master September 2020
    Nicole ·
    • Flag
    Honestly, I just wore a nude thong when I shopped. It was quicker and easier to not wear a bra when trying on different dresses and it allowed me to see each dress without working about bra straps/shapewear lines/etc. I was super comfortable with every consultant I worked with (I visited 5 different shops) and didn’t have any issues being pretty much naked between dresses.
  • Dj Tanner
    June 2021
    Dj Tanner ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yeah, that’s basically why I was questioning about wearing a bra. It just seems like it would be really weird getting almost completely naked in front of total strangers. 😬
  • Jasmine
    Master August 2021
    Jasmine ·
    • Flag

I never needed to take anything. Like Nicole, I was pretty comfortable and most of the dresses I tried on I didn't even need a bra or shapewear. Also, depending on the silhouette, some dresses have some kind of boning which would help in cinching your waist/stomach area so you wouldn't have to worry about the shapewear. I don't think it would be a terrible idea to still take it with you if you really feel the need to just in case.

• Dj Tanner
    June 2021
    Dj Tanner ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Good idea thanks!
  • Caitlin
    Expert January 2021
    Caitlin ·
    • Flag
    Aside from the obvious that you and the gals who previously posted stated, bring water, a snack, and a ton of deodorant! Dress shopping is exhausting 😂 I probably went to 10 different shops and was in and out of probably 20 dresses at every salon. I thought I was going to fall out every single time. All the bending up and down, dressing and undressing, carrying heavy dresses around, sucking in and what not, it's much harder than you'd think. Going back and forth between dresses is seriously such a workout! Try to enjoy yourself. It will be so much fun. Good luck 😊❤️
  • Dj Tanner
    June 2021
    Dj Tanner ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yeah I’m only going to one dress shop that I made an appointment at for right now. I’m 11 months away from my wedding so I kind of just wanted this to be sort of a dip my feet in kind of appointment. However I think I may end up finding a dress when I’m there because I’m going to the Pronovias store and I’ve always wanted either a Pronovias or Norma and Lily wedding dress. I’m personally just not a fan of going to a lot of stores because I’d get SO overwhelmed LOL
  • Ashley
    Expert October 2021
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    I wore my most comfortable nude bra and seamless nude undies. My lady was great about just setting on the dress for me behind a screen, and then coming in to Fasten me up. I was really intimidated planning for it, but it’s a lot of fun once you get started. 10/10 recommend 😂
  • Caitlin
    Expert January 2021
    Caitlin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    No doubt! I think it's awesome that you have some sort of idea about what you want - I never had that. I was too all-over-the-place, bridezilla, couldn't make my mind up about everything. I loved almost every single dress I put on lol, which is why I was going back and forth between stores. It was most definitely overwhelming because I didn't think I'd over find the one. Hopefully you find the one, and do so quickly to avoid any stress. Congrats ❤️
  • Meghan
    Master October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag
    I didn’t really take anything with me. I had photos saved of the dresses I was interested in on my phone. I just wore a nude colored thong and I did not wear a bra when trying in the gowns. It’s much easier to get a true vision of what the dress looks like this way.
  • Dj Tanner
    June 2021
    Dj Tanner ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Did you feel weird at any point with the whole strangers watching you change thing?
  • F
    Dedicated September 2020
    Furure Mrs. ·
    • Flag

I brought my shoes with me, and I am thankful I did! When they took my measurements they were able to measure the correct length and it will arrive already hemmed.

• Meghan
    Master October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Not at all. They do that everyday. I went to 3 bridal boutiques and all of the consultants actually made me feel very comfortable and stated that trying on braless is actually quite common.
  • Molly
    VIP September 2020
    Molly ·
    • Flag

I wouldn't wear a lot of makeup. I didn't wear any when I tried on dresses and the consultants were very thankful! If you do wear face makeup make sure it is nontransferable. Also bring some water and wear the shoes your wearing on the day.

• Dj Tanner
    June 2021
    Dj Tanner ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That’s good to keep in mind however, if I don’t wear make up and I go and try on clothes, my mind just goes in 1000 different directions and I end up hating every outfit that I try on even if it looks great LOL. I definitely don’t think I’ll be wearing any sort of self tanner though, just in case it gets hot in there. The last thing I wanna do is destroy their sample dresses
  • T
    Super April 2021
    Tiger Bride ·
    • Flag

I actually wore dark underwear (not on purpose) and it helped to see which dresses were see-through and if there would be issues with that. I brought a nude strapless bra, but didn't wear it for any of the 40 or so dresses I tried on. Bras just don't work with most traditional wedding dresses.

The shops I went to were a mix of changing in front of the consultant and getting into the dress yourself with the consultant standing outside to zip it up. With coronavirus, you might find that there's less contact with the consultant, so they aren't in the room with you. Not sure if that's across the board though.

If you can do your hair how you think you'd like it, do that. Also do your makeup, doesn't have to be fancy but something. Bring shapewear if you think you'll wear it. And have fun!! I loved trying on dresses.

• Nicole
    Master September 2020
    Nicole ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Not weird in the slightest. The way I look at it is that I don’t have anything that they’ve never seen before. They’re professionals whose goal is to find you the dress you love. Since it’s your first appointment, I would recommend trying on at least one dress of every shape and fabric; you never know if you end up loving something on your body that you didn’t love on someone else’s! You’ll have to report back on your experience!
  • Dj Tanner
    June 2021
    Dj Tanner ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Great advice! So smart! I am so glad you mentioned the dark underwear because I hate things that are see-through, unless they’re actually intended to be see-through of course. As far as hair and make up goes absolutely I have to or else I’ll just hit every dress that I put on LOL. As far as a bra goes I definitely don’t think I’ll actually wear a bra on my wedding day with the dress, but I guess it was more of just feeling uncomfortable around strangers sort of thing. But again I know that’s just all in my head kind of stuff because obviously they do this stuff every day and they’ve seen pretty much every woman and shape you could possibly think of I’m sure so I’m sure after a few dresses that I try and I’ll feel comfortable at that point.
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Administrator October 2016
    Lynnie Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I second all of Caitlin's advice!! 🙌 Even if you have to keep bottled water out of sight and snacks in the car - you'll need them!

I wore a strapless bra and nude underwear and flats. You'll want to make sure you don't have on too much makeup that could rub off on the dresses, but spending a little time on your hair and makeup definitely helps you visualize the full look!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics