We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Leslie
Beginner January 2021

Father walking daughter down the aisle

Leslie, on October 30, 2019 at 10:37 AM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 22
Saved Save
Hello Smiley smile I was married when I was 21 which unfortunately did not last, now 15+ years later and marrying the “one” and the father of my children I’m wondering about the customary “father walking daughter down the aisle and giving her away”. This just feels a little awkward to me now since I’ve already been “given away” once before. I don’t want to make my dad feel bad and hoping to incorporate something else special like maybe a first look with him. Please let me know your thoughts or experiences with this! Thank you!

22 Comments

Latest activity by Cristina, on November 12, 2019 at 1:07 PM
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn Online ·
    • Flag
    You can still have your dad walk you down the aisle if you want. I think being “given away” is kind of outdated anyway. It’s 2019 and women aren’t property anymore.
  • Ivy ORP
    VIP October 2019
    Ivy ORP ·
    • Flag

My wife and I decided our sons would walk us down the aisle. My dad wasn't upset by it at all. He walked me for my first wedding and was happy to see my son by my side this time. For us we didn't like the whole "given away" thing anyway, but our sons have each been our constant since they came into our lives so it made sense they would fill that important role of walking us to our future.

• Devin
    Super October 2019
    Devin ·
    • Flag
    My dad walked me down but we didn’t have the person marrying us ask who gives this woman away.
  • Brianna
    Dedicated December 2019
    Brianna ·
    • Flag
    I am getting married a second time and am having one of my sons walk me down the isle.
    I felt like when my fiancée was going to ask me to marry him it wasn’t my dad he needed to talk to first, it was my kids- so it made sense that it isn’t my dad walking me down the isle. I am having my older sister walk my dad to his seat when the other parents are seated.
  • Tara
    VIP November 2016
    Tara ·
    • Flag

It's totally up to you! I think whatever you're most comfortable with. I had my Dad walk me down the aisle, but I've only been married once. I can see why you might think it would be a little odd. I still think it would be sweet! And it's like your Dad is connecting with you and your family. Even with it being your second wedding, I still think it's acceptable and would be sweet. however, you and your FH should decide what you're most comfortable with! Here's some fun articles I found that might help.

https://www.brides.com/story/modern-ways-to-walk-down-the-aisle

https://www.marthastewartweddings.com/632654/etiquette-multiple-people-walk-down-aisle

• Kiley
    Expert November 2019
    Kiley ·
    • Flag

I am in a similar situation (minus the kids). I still plan on having my dad walk me down.. my step dad walked me down the first time and now my real dad (after rebuilding our relationship over the past few years) will be walking me down. I have taken out the lines "who gives this bride to this groom" and any verbiage that goes along with it since I was "given away" before.. so we will just walk down, hug and he will be seated and we will press on..

• Cyndy
    Rockstar May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    • Flag
    You can do whatever you want. I just got married for the second time and I had my son walk me down the aisle and my daughter was my MOH. I really wanted my kids to be super involved in our marriage. My dad totally understood and was so happy I asked my kids to be so involved.
  • Lacy
    Dedicated October 2020
    Lacy ·
    • Flag

I have been married once before, but I didn't have a traditional ceremony that time. Less than 10 people were in attendance to that one, and my father was not one of them. This time around I am going the more traditional route; however, my father will still not be walking me down the aisle. He will be entering with his wife before my mom and stepdad enter together. I will be walking myself halfway down the aisle, and my FH will meet halfway and we will walk the rest of the way together. It seems a bit more modern this way and symbolic of "meeting in the middle".

• Sonya
    Dedicated February 2021
    Sonya ·
    • Flag
    Well my daddy told me he wasn't walking me the 2nd time around...lol he said he already gave me away...lol kinda made me sad being I was barely 18 at that time and now 44 and wanting to do it all right this time...lol i never did the father daughter dance back then so he said we can do that this time..
  • Jeanie
    Super February 2020
    Jeanie ·
    • Flag
    My father also walked my down the isle for my first wedding. This time around, my son will walk me down the isle. My mother actually came up with a great idea to have my dad and my fiancé’s mother to be the witnesses to sign the marriage certificate. I love the idea and think it’s a great way to honor them and show our appreciation without the traditional parent stuff you see in weddings.
  • Sexypoodle
    Master October 2021
    Sexypoodle ·
    • Flag
    This is a second marriage for both FH and I (15 years since my first marriage as well). So I’m selecting to walk down the aisle by myself. I’m excited about it because for me it evokes a feeling of maturity. We also aren’t having a bridal party. So instead, FH will walk in and take his place at the front, then each of our parents will walk down the aisle together and then I will come in after them. Sweet and simple!
  • Leslie
    Beginner January 2021
    Leslie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes I love this! Thank you.
  • Leslie
    Beginner January 2021
    Leslie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes 100%! My fiancé told/asked my daughter before anyone else which I thought was precious. I love your ideas thank you!
  • Leslie
    Beginner January 2021
    Leslie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you so much for this! 💓
  • Leslie
    Beginner January 2021
    Leslie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I love this, thank you!
  • Leslie
    Beginner January 2021
    Leslie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    So sweet! Thank you for your reply.
  • Leslie
    Beginner January 2021
    Leslie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes I love this!! I will have to consider the “meeting in the middle”! Thank you
  • Leslie
    Beginner January 2021
    Leslie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Haha sounds like something my dad would say! Sounds like it will still be a special time for you two. Thanks for the reply!
  • Leslie
    Beginner January 2021
    Leslie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes I love that idea! Thank you!
  • Leslie
    Beginner January 2021
    Leslie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yesssss this is exactly what I envision! Thank you for the reply!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics