We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Carly
Dedicated December 2019

Father is wide but aisle is not!

Carly, on November 4, 2019 at 12:00 PM Posted in Family and Relationships 0 14
Saved Save

I am getting married in a chapel that is very personally significant to us in about a month, and something just occurred to me that I'm now stressing about. My dad is an obese man. The aisle of the chapel is 3.5 feet wide (and pews are bolted to the floor, so you can't move them) AND I am wearing a full ballgown dress. It's very important to my dad that he walks me down the aisle, but I don't know if we'll fit! Or at least, not without him going first (not ideal, because I'm the bride) or me going first and him stepping on my train and ripping it.

I don't know for sure we won't fit, but we won't really know until the wedding day! We'll have the rehearsal the night before, but I won't be in my big poofy dress then...

Any advice?? Help!

14 Comments

Latest activity by Judith, on November 17, 2019 at 12:18 PM
  • Cyndy
    Rockstar May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    • Flag
    What if you walked down the aisle and tour dad was standing in front right before you got to your FH and he walked you maybe the last few steps to your FH?
  • Stefanie
    Devoted December 2019
    Stefanie ·
    • Flag
    Maybe everything will be fine but try having a plan B just in case.
  • Cherry
    Expert February 2020
    Cherry ·
    • Flag

What a conundrum! Yours will not be the first wedding in that chapel to involve a ballgown and a robust father. Check with your minister to see how it's been done in the past. And when you do the rehearsal, maybe stand another foot away from him to simulate the dress.

Otherwise, maybe he can walk ahead of you - then wait at the end of the aisle. Then you walk down. Then when you meet at the end of the aisle, he can give you a kiss and a squeeze, hand you off to FH, and then sit down.

• MrsJackson
    Super October 2018
    MrsJackson ·
    • Flag

Is there any way for y'all to make a trip to the chapel to see if it will work?

Maybe you could make a final father/daughter trip before you get married?

• Kiley
    Expert November 2019
    Kiley ·
    • Flag

Your dress should squish in a bit unless you have a hoop at the bottom. Although you might not think it's ideal you squish your dress, it may be a better alternative than one of you walking before the other.

• Natalie
    Devoted January 2021
    Natalie ·
    • Flag

I think you might be able to still stand next to eachother, but a bit staggered so he is still slightly in front of you. Can you visit the church soon?

• Renee
    Super October 2020
    Renee ·
    • Flag

If you're really stressing it, are you able to go to the chapel just with your dad and practice walking down in your dress? Maybe get a feel for it?

• Sherry
    Master September 2019
    Sherry ·
    • Flag

I would have him wait at the front of the pews for you then walk you the rest of the way.

• Catherine
    May 2021
    Catherine ·
    • Flag

Could you walk up one of the sides instead?

• Victorian Bride
    Master February 2022
    Victorian Bride ·
    • Flag
    Hi Carly!!❤ I promise I'll answer your other lovely post, but I have to share this with you. I have a similar problem!! We were supposed to have a garden wedding, December isn't usually THAT cold in Mississippi around Christmas. We've already been 20° degrees at night. So I moved it inside. Well, the ONLY inside room available at our venue for our package is an 18X18 room!!! 😂😂 Gorgeous, but teeny. The door opening is only 40 inches!! 😨 My ballgown is 5ft wide ( not a typo). Don't know how I'll get in thru that doorway. I just can SO relate!! Please have someone measure the width of your gown at the bottom diameter and then approximate how much room you'll need for your Dad. This is the best way to get fairly accurate figures and that way you'll know the measurements and can come to a final decision. I think you might realize you have more room than you thought!! I'll be thinking of you. I promise it'll all work out!! 😙😙
  • Alejandra
    Super November 2021
    Alejandra ·
    • Flag

Not gonna lie, your title made me laugh lol! I'm sure this isn't uncommon. I would call the chapel and ask what they have done in the past in those situations. I don't think it'll be a huge problem Smiley smile

• Victorian Bride
    Master February 2022
    Victorian Bride ·
    • Flag
    Carly, I just looked at your gown in our December Brides discussion, and your gown may be a little squished at the bottom as you wall up the aisle, but I definitely think you both will fit. And you can always measure add I mentioned. After your Dad gives you to your groom, your MOH can straighten your dress and train so it'll be pretty in your photos. I've seen this done at many weddings, especially because older, smaller churches do tend to have tiny aisles. Try not to worry, you have this!! ❤
  • Carly
    Dedicated December 2019
    Carly ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thanks! Yes, measuring was great advice. When I get my dress the week of the wedding I will (storing at boutique)

• J
    Master 0000
    Judith ·
    • Flag
    Not a new problem. Many handicapped or frail people cannot walk down the aisle, nor will wheelchairs fit beside most brides in a narrow aisle. Have him enter earlier, stand on your side , and when you come down the aisle, he can take your hands, give you a kiss or nice words, then lead you to your position. And return to his seat. A lot of women choose to walk down the aisle. Some cultures ( mine) there is traditionally no aisle walk except bride and groom. And the go just a few feet with parents to bring the two sides together at the altar, then step back from the kids (B and groom). Still a nice moment, says, we have brought you this far in life, now you independent walk to your future. As long as you briefly meet and have a nice exchange with Dad, people think it fine. It is a small chapel. People seating themselves will have walked down the aisle in single file. You will have to all leave single file, too. 3.5 feet is not wide enough for you and groom either. Your dress will be 3 feet or more wide by itself. Even a full a line is, never mind a ball gown.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics