We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Corinne
Beginner November 2020

Father Daughter songs?

Corinne, on May 22, 2020 at 10:53 AM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 18
Saved Save
Anyone pick a song for their father daughter song? I asked my dad what kind of music he likes and he says its up to me what I pick but he likes almost everything. I'm looking for suggestions and what others picked. I was thinking Old Time Rock & Roll but it might be too up beat?

18 Comments

• Mrs. S
    Devoted November 2019
    Mrs. S Online ·
    • Flag
    I think if you want an upbeat song that’s fine! We did butterfly kisses because it makes me cry every single time. I thought my dad already knew it or would look it up before the wedding but he asked me on the dance floor what it was about 🤦‍♀️😆.
  • Renay
    Devoted April 2020
    Renay ·
    • Flag

My step dad and I will dance to "Here Comes the Sun" by The Beatles. We lost my dad when I was 8, and my stepfather went through some really tough things around the same time, then he and my mom met, and things got better. He's been there for 15+ years now and we have done A LOT of emotional healing together through the years. It was hard to find one that fit a step dad relationship where there is no malice for the father. Neither of us are dancers or much for a lot of attention, so we thought this would be sweet, and fun, but not overwhelmingly emotional. It holds special meaning because it was also one of Dad's favorite songs.

I think it can be upbeat, or slow, rock and roll or jazz, does not matter; Whatever makes you guys comfortable!

• Katie
    Dedicated May 2021
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    There is a beautiful wedding version of “sweet child o mine” on YouTube! You should check it out 😍
  • Mindy
    Dedicated November 2020
    Mindy ·
    • Flag
    My Little Girl by Tim McGraw

I’ve said that this will be our song since it came out. My former stepdad wanted to dance with me to Butterfly Kisses by Bob Carlisle, which is also a great song.
    My roommate in college did hers to “I loved her first” by Heartland(?)
    There’s lots of great songs out there. My recommendation is to go with something that fits your relationship.
  • Elizabeth
    Expert June 2021
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

Thinking "My Wish" by Rascal Flatts!

• N
    Dedicated November 2020
    Natalie ·
    • Flag
    My dad loves Elvis, so I plan on dancing with him to “I Can’t Help Falling in Love With You” (or another Elvis song)!
  • J
    Savvy September 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    My sister and our dad are doing a funny dance with songs. It’s going to start out with my little girl by Tim McGraw and then they are doing Tequila song and dance from the pee wee Herman show and maybe one other song but haven’t picked it out yet.
  • Holly
    Savvy October 2020
    Holly ·
    • Flag
    You're so lucky to have your dad there. Mine passed away a few years ago, sadly. "Daddy's little Girl" is a good one. I believe it's by Tim McGraw, but not sure. Enjoy your day!!
  • Belle
    Super July 2020
    Belle ·
    • Flag
    This is a slow dance song, but very touching!

• Rebecca
    Rockstar August 2019
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

My dad and I danced to "Time of My Life" from Dirty Dancing, because that was "our movie". Our DJ cut it down to 2 minutes, so it wasn't too long to dance.

Pick the song that makes you think of your dad, it doesn't have to be slow.

• L
    Savvy August 2020
    Leah ·
    • Flag
    Thinking Cinderella by Steven Curtis Chapman or First Man by Camila Cabello
  • C
    Just Said Yes March 2021
    Christianna ·
    • Flag

Half the man by Jennifer Smestad

Amazing song!

• Melody
    Just Said Yes September 2021
    Melody ·
    • Flag
    Daddy by Abby anderson
  • J
    Master 0000
    Judith ·
    • Flag
    Something that often baffled me when I used to work weddings as a musician: the number of brides who choose Daddy daughter tunes because she or he like them. Without considering the kinds of dances Dad and Daughter know how to do. If Dad only knows how to dance ballroom style dancing in Waltz time, ( based on rhythm 1,2,3, repeat) then don't choose a song great for a 2 step or foxtrot or swing dance. Make sure you choose something in Waltz time . More older men than women rarely danced when young and rarely have as time goes by. See ( Google if need be) tunes and dances. If necessary practice together with a You Tube video. A little mismatched is a bit of a giggle. But one doing a rapid 8 to the bar while the other ( who does not know) is dancing a completely different rhythm, leads to tears, bumping, stepped on feet, ripped dresses. Dancing is not all about the lyrics, it is all about the movement matching the rhythm. And may young men who once did rapid steps and fancy moves song after song, now have high blood pressure and heart or breathing issues. In 20 seconds.
  • K
    Just Said Yes May 2020
    Kawajiri ·
    • Flag
    I used google for such songs

there are many many

some songs i saw first time

• Corinne
    Beginner November 2020
    Corinne ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    tenor.gif
    Thank you everyone!
  • Kelly
    Dedicated October 2020
    Kelly ·
    • Flag

"The Times of Your Life," by Paul Anka is a really nice slow song. It was what my brother and my mom danced to when he got married, and I am dancing with her to the same song (Dad passed away in 2008). Halfway through, my "surrogate dad," a close family friend, will cut in and finish the dance with me.

• Naikesha
    Super September 2020
    Naikesha ·
    • Flag
    • 1. " Butterfly Kisses" - Bob Carlisle.
    • 2. " My Girl" - The Temptations. ...
    • 3. " My Little Girl" - Tim McGraw.
    • 4. " I'll Always Be Your Baby" - Natalie Grant.
    • 5. " Father and Daughter" - Paul Simon.
    • 6. " I Loved Her First" - Heartland. ...
    • 7. "Daddy" - Beyoncé
    • 8. "You Raise Me Up" - Josh Groban
    • 9. "Daughters" - John Mayer
    • 10. "Dance With My Daughter" - Jason Blaine

Hope these help.

Comment on this discussion

Related articles