S
Dedicated September 2021

Father Daughter Dance Songs - Not Slow

Sarah, on May 14, 2020 at 9:54 AM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 10
Saved

My FH and I are still planning on getting married in mid-September in NYC. We're going to plan and ready as much as we can until we're told we can't. It's breaking my heart.

My dad and I have always been really close and we're both a bit odd. So we're trying to figure out a song that isn't overdone, too mushy, or inappropriate. He hates country music, so that's out. We were thinking of doing something a bit more upbeat, but still having trouble with that - any suggestions?

TIA.

10 Comments

Latest activity by Lynnie, on May 15, 2020 at 9:53 AM
  • A
    Super December 2020
    Anais ·
    • Flag
    Do you have any band, musician or song that you and your dad love? Or something maybe you used to listen to as a kid that means a lot to both of you?

• Kimberly
    Expert October 2020
    Kimberly ·
    • Flag
    Sweet Pea by Amos Lee
    Ain’t no mountain high enough by Marvin Gaye
    (Your love keeps lifting me) Higher & Higher by Jackie WilsonCan’t stop this feeling by Justin Timberlake
    There are lots of upbeat father/daughter playlists in Spotify if you want more suggestions.
  • Molly
    VIP September 2020
    Molly ·
    • Flag
  • Molly
    VIP September 2020
    Molly ·
    • Flag

Also Van Morrison's Days like this is very upbeat!

• Molly
    VIP September 2020
    Molly ·
    • Flag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXayx3WBotk&list=PLE77eiO3jINS_BQl2BbkwZtcfoLcrU-Ml

Take good care of my baby by the Beatles

If you have brown eyes this would be good, Brown eyed girl by Van Morrison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqXSBe-qMGo&list=PLSSUAytdHJUXAaZnqMbZWeIQ27EPXfFky&index=4

• Molly
    VIP September 2020
    Molly ·
    • Flag

Okay last one, Sorry! I don't think they are really considered country music and this song is much more upbeat.

I'll be your man by Zac Brown Band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArsXNamp8BA

This is the song I think I am going to use, but I'm going to have the dj cut off the last part. My old man by Zac Brown Band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_uGcW-v5EI

• Cristy
    Master May 2021
    Cristy ·
    • Flag

It's unfortunate that he doesn't like country music. Have you heard "Shotgun Rider" by Tim McGraw? It's a great song, and upbeat, and not mushy at all.

• E
    Dedicated September 2020
    E.F. ·
    • Flag
    Isnt she lovely
    here comes the sun- the beatles

• Rebecca
    Master August 2019
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

My dad and I danced to "Time of My Life" from the Dirty Dancing soundtrack. Our DJ cut it to about 2 minutes, and made it more father-daughter friendly. But we picked that because that was our favorite movie to watch when I was a kid (...though it may have taken me until my late 20s to figure out *why* my dad wanted me to watch that movie).

Do you have a favorite movie or show together?

Songs don't have to be father-daughter themed, they can be your relationship with your dad-themed.

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Administrator October 2016
    Lynnie ·
    • Flag

Do you guys like oldies or motown? I feel like there are a lot of upbeat options in those genres!

"Isn't She Lovely" - Stevie Wonder

"Brown-Eyed Girl" - Van Morrison

"American Girl" - Tom Petty & The Heart Breakers

"My Girl" - The Temptations

"Sweet Child O'Mine" - Guns N Roses

"You're My Best Friend" - Queen

I chose "How Sweet It Is" for me and my dad because it's not too slow and my childhood was filled with a whole lot of my parents playing James Taylor! My best friend and her dad danced to "Take It to the Limit" by The Eagles because that's what they always played in the car. Smiley heart

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics